- Want more images or videos?Request additional images or videos from the seller
Andrianna Shamaris Antique Bamboo Wood Chair
- CreatorAndrianna Shamaris (Designer)
- DimensionsHeight: 38 in. (96.52 cm)Width: 32 in. (81.28 cm)Depth: 23 in. (58.42 cm)Seat Height: 20 in. (50.8 cm)
- StylePrimitive (In the Style Of)
- Materials and Techniques
- Date of Manufacturecirca 1900
- ConditionWear consistent with age and use.
- Seller LocationNew York, NY
- Reference NumberSeller: 44LW1stDibs: LU1080616386872
Shipping & Returns
- ShippingShips From: New York, NY
- Return Policy
A return for this item may be initiated within 1 day of delivery.
About the Designer
When British-born furniture designer Andrianna Shamaris embarked on a year-long hunt for a New York City apartment, she had two nonnegotiable requirements: The apartment had to be in estate condition and it had to have views of nature. She also made clear that she wanted a restoration, rather than a renovation, project. When she finally found the perfect place on Central Park South, she enlisted architect Thomas Leeser to help her achieve her vision of an organic-modern retreat.
The first order of business was reproducing the original moldings, which were in such bad shape they couldn’t be reclaimed. “I didn’t want the new moldings to be perfect,” Shamaris says. “Try explaining this to a contractor!”
The next step in preserving the character of the prewar home was to reinstall all the original crystal knobs on custom white resin doors, which hang on pivots rather than hinges. In another unique touch, the designer custom produced a wall covered in shell-encrusted teak to divide the kitchen and living room.
“I don’t like the bourgeois look or anything too minimal, as that style lacks warmth,” she says. “So, even though I might say less is best, having a few objects with a story behind them is far more interesting to me than a room full of objects.”
When Shamaris moved into the apartment, in 2008, the fireplace was sealed shut. She and architect Leeser decided to open it up, keeping the original black marble in front and painting the surrounding frame a strong white. “We left it very clean and wabi-sabi so that it blended into the wall,” Shamaris says.
As her apartment attests, Shamaris is a believer in the Japanese concept of wabi-sabi, which finds beauty in imperfection. In fact, she has curated an entire collection based on this simple aesthetic and sells it on her 1stDibs storefront and in her New York showroom.
The entire apartment is accented with pieces from Shamaris’s studio in Sumatra, where she lived for nearly a year after a stint in sales at Ralph Lauren's Bond Street flagship. During her travels around the world, she collected antiques along with design inspiration.
Established in 1988, Andrianna Shamaris is a recognized authority in modern organic furniture. Skilled artisans from her studio in Sumatra and New York craft reclaimed wood and other natural elements into usable, premium-quality furniture and accessories sought after by architects, designers, luxury fashion brands and hotels across the world — all while preserving the environment.
- Andrianna Shamaris Low Teak Wood Colonial ChairBy Andrianna ShamarisLocated in New York, NYBeautiful antique Colonial chair. Hand-carved feet and restored double-backed hand-woven rattan. A classic chair for any space. Full dimensions; 28" at the front graduating to 25" wi...Category
2010s Indonesian Organic Modern ChairsMaterials
Wood, Teak, Reclaimed Wood$2,800 / item
- Andrianna Shamaris Low Teak Wood Colonial ChairBy Andrianna ShamarisLocated in New York, NYBeautiful reproduced Colonial chair. Hand carved feet and double-backed handwoven rattan, makes this piece a Classic for any space. Includes linen pillow. Pair currently available. T...Category
2010s Indonesian Organic Modern ChairsMaterials
Wood, Teak, Reclaimed Wood
- Andrianna Shamaris Ultimate Chair PlusBy Andrianna ShamarisLocated in New York, NYThe Ultimate Chair is made from premium quality leather with a teak frame. The new plus style is double backed in leather too. Shown: Black leather with dark brown teak frame. Custo...Category
2010s Organic Modern Lounge ChairsMaterials
Leather, Wood, Teak, Reclaimed Wood
- Andrianna Shamaris Colonial Teak Wood and Rattan ChairLocated in New York, NYAntique Colonial teak and rattan chairs. Set of 3 available. The price reflects one chair. Own an Andrianna Shamaris original. Andrianna Shamaris. The Leader In Modern Organic ...Category
Antique Early 1900s Primitive ChairsMaterials
Rattan, Wood, Teak, Reclaimed Wood
- Andrianna Shamaris Teak Wood Dining ChairBy Andrianna ShamarisLocated in New York, NYSuper comfortable reclaimed teak wood armchair. Perfect as a dining chair for indoor and outdoor living. Includes a seat cushion. Andrianna Shamaris. The Leader In Modern Organic De...Category
2010s Organic Modern ChairsMaterials
Cotton, Wood, Teak, Reclaimed Wood$2,980 / item
- Andrianna Shamaris Rare Antique Bamboo Wood VestBy Andrianna ShamarisLocated in New York, NYStunning handmade antique bamboo wood vest from Mentawai. Perfection is imperfection. This ‘rompi’ otherwise known as a vest was sourced in the spirit of wabi-sabi, a Japanese phi...Category
Antique Early 1900s Primitive More Asian Art, Objects and FurnitureMaterials
Bamboo, Wood, Reclaimed Wood
You May Also Like
Mid-20th Century American Mid-Century Modern Chairs
Vintage 1970s Italian Organic Modern Chairs
Antique Early 1900s American American Classical Chairs
Late 20th Century Organic Modern Lounge Chairs
Mid-20th Century American Mid-Century Modern Lounge Chairs
21st Century and Contemporary British Chairs
Vintage 1970s American Mid-Century Modern Lounge Chairs
20th Century American Mid-Century Modern Lounge Chairs
Vintage 1950s Italian Mid-Century Modern Chairs
Late 20th Century American Modern Chairs
Recently ViewedView More
The 1stDibs PromiseLearn More
Expertly Vetted Sellers
Confidence at Checkout
Trusted Global Delivery