Vanity Seat in Grey Lacquer by Robert Kuo, Limited Edition
About the Item
- Creator:Robert Kuo (Designer)
- Dimensions:Height: 22.25 in (56.52 cm)Width: 23.5 in (59.69 cm)Depth: 14 in (35.56 cm)
- Style:Modern (In the Style Of)
- Materials and Techniques:
- Place of Origin:
- Date of Manufacture:2010
- Production Type:New & Custom(Limited Edition)
- Estimated Production Time:3-4 weeks
- Seller Location:Los Angeles, CA
- Reference Number:Seller: 83491stDibs: LU177924325293
Born in Beijing, Kuo moved with his family to Taiwan in 1947. While he never received a formal art education, Kuo gained technical expertise working as an apprentice at his father’s cloisonné workshop from the age of 15.
In 1973, Kuo emigrated to the U.S. and opened his own cloisonné studio in Beverly Hills, California. There, he utilized the time-honored skills he learned with his father for a wide range of uniquely striking vases, sculptures and bowls. His Goldfish bowl — a technical masterpiece of vibrant colors and cloisonné designs that appear to float against a black enamel background — was acquired by the Smithsonian’s Arthur M. Sackler Gallery for its permanent collection.
In 1984, Kuo opened a showroom in West Hollywood, where it became a favorite among interior designers for the sculptural and often whimsical coffee tables, stools and table lamps on offer. A year later, Kuo shifted his attention toward repoussé — a technique that sees decorative reliefs hammered onto the surface of metals. Examples of Kuo’s repoussé pieces include his black lacquer Cloud chair and Oval coffee table in antique copper.
In 2014, a retrospective exhibition celebrating Kuo’s 30th anniversary as a designer was held at the Pacific Design Center in Los Angeles and his New York studio. In 2016, he also hosted an exhibition in his New York studio titled “Robert Kuo Selects: Los Angeles Studio Made, Found and Represented Artists,” showcasing his works as well as pieces by prominent L.A. designers Blackman Cruz, Dana John and JF Chen. In 2019, Italian artist Mattia Biagi’s L.A. exhibition “Metropolitan Sets” included Kuo’s Back Rest chair and brass Facet Seat.
- ShippingRetrieving quote...Ships From: Los Angeles, CA
- Return PolicyA return for this item may be initiated within 3 days of delivery.
- Chair, Cream Lacquer by Robert Kuo, Handmade, Limited EditionBy Robert KuoLocated in Los Angeles, CAChair Cream lacquer Hand Repousse Metal base Limited Edition Each piece is individually crafted and is unique. Lacquer is a technique that dates back to the Shang dynasty, circ...Category
2010s Minimalist ChairsMaterials
- Chair, Black Lacquer by Robert Kuo, Handmade, Limited EditionBy Robert KuoLocated in Los Angeles, CAChair Black lacquer Hand Repousse Metal base Limited Edition Each piece is individually crafted and is unique. Lacquer is a technique that dates back to the Shang dynasty, circ...Category
- Robert Kuo Vanity Seat in Mila Lacquer, Contemporary, Limited EditionBy Robert KuoLocated in Los Angeles, CAVanity Seat Mila Lacquer Hand Repoussé Limited Edition Contemporary Lacquer is a technique that dates back to the Shang dynasty, circa 1600-1100 B.C. These pieces are made with ...Category
2010s Minimalist ChairsMaterials
- Back Rest Chair, Coral Lacquer by Robert Kuo, Handmade, Limited EditionBy Robert KuoLocated in Los Angeles, CABackrest chair Coral lacquer Hand repousse Limited edition Lacquer is a technique that dates back to the Shang dynasty, circa 1600-1100 B.C. The pieces are made with at least 6...Category
- Contemporary Black Lacquer Vanity Seat by Robert Kuo, Hand Made, Limited EditionBy Robert KuoLocated in Los Angeles, CAVanity Seat Black Lacquer Wood Vase Hand Made Contemporary Limited Edition Lacquer is a technique that dates back to the Shang dynasty, circa 1600-1100 B.C. These pieces are...Category
2010s Modern ChairsMaterials
- Indented Seat, Cream Lacquer and Copper by Robert Kuo, Limited EditionBy Robert KuoLocated in Los Angeles, CAIndented seat Cream lacquer Antique copper Hand repoussé Limited edition Repoussé is the traditional art of hand-hammering decorative relief onto sheet metal. This technique involve...Category
- Limited Edition Stacked Leather Chair by Fort StandardBy Fort StandardLocated in Brooklyn, NYA part of Fort Standard’s “Qualities of Material” collection, this entirely leather occasional chair is made of vegetable tanned leather that has been stacked and rolled to create th...Category
2010s American ChairsMaterials
- Elephant Chair by Bernard Rancillac, Limited Edition 37/100, 1985By Bernard RancillacLocated in Antwerp, BEElephant Chair; Fauteil Éléphant; Bernard Rancillac; Limited Edition; 37/100; 1985; 1980s; Bedside Chair; Side Chair; Lobby Lounge Chair; Reading Ch...Category
Vintage 1980s French Space Age ChairsMaterials
- Empire Chair in Molded Plywood by Robert Venturi & Denise Scott, 1984By Knoll, Robert Venturi and Denise Scott BrownLocated in New York, NYEmpire chair in molded plywood with laminated finish in the "Grandmother" pattern. Designed by Robert Venturi and Denise Scott Brown for Knoll, USA, 1984.Category
Vintage 1980s American Modern Side ChairsMaterials
- Vitra Verner Panton 'Panton Glow', 2018 Limited EditionBy Verner Panton, VitraLocated in Utrecht, NLVitra 'Glow Panton chair', luminescent, white, limited edition 1 chair of only 333 pieces ever produced. Released and sold in June 2018 on the occasion of the 50th anniversary of the first presentation of the iconic 'Panton Chair' to the public. After years of intensive joint development by Verner Panton and Vitra, the Panton chair was finally ready for production in 1967 - as the first all-plastic cantilever chair manufactured in one piece. Made with a revolutionary production technique, the chair's unique sculptural design was first presented to the public at the imm Furniture Fair in Cologne in 1968. Soon the chair symbolized an entire era. The chair was a sensation and was awarded numerous prizes. Today one of the first copies is in the Museum of Modern Art in New York. 50 years after its launch, Vitra released two limited editions of this iconic classic in 2018: the 'Panton Chrome' and the 'Panton Glow' of the latter, we offer a copy here. Verner Panton over the course of his life showed a fervent interest in innovative technologies, techniques and materials. He worked with lighting, color and luminous elements in many of his futuristic interiors. Particularly for his legendary 1970 installation 'Visiona 2...Category
Vintage 1960s German Mid-Century Modern ChairsMaterials
- Maarten Baas Signed Limited Edition Arne Jacobsen Series 7 ChairBy Arne Jacobsen, Maarten BaasLocated in Dronten, NLLimited Edition made in 2009 of the iconic Arne Jacobsen series 7 chair. To pay tribute to this design, Fritz Hansen choose 7 designers from t...Category
Early 2000s Danish Scandinavian Modern ChairsMaterials
- Santos, Imposing Seat, Sculptural Chair in White by Joel EscalonaBy Joel EscalonaLocated in Estado de Mexico CP, Estado de MexicoSantos Chair Somewhere between an imposing throne and a glass of champagne, Santos, designed by Joel Escalona, is suitable for use in halls, bars, hotels, homes and even outdoors. ...Category
2010s Mexican Other ChairsMaterials