Wassily Chairs Marcel Breuer Bauhaus Period
About the Item
- Creator:Marcel Breuer (Designer)
- Dimensions:Height: 29.53 in (75 cm)Width: 30.32 in (77 cm)Depth: 25.2 in (64 cm)Seat Height: 17.72 in (45 cm)
- Sold As:Set of 2
- Materials and Techniques:
- Place of Origin:
- Date of Manufacture:1980
- Condition:Wear consistent with age and use.
- Seller Location:PÉZENAS, FR
- Reference Number:1stDibs: LU8483234231952
The architect and designer Marcel Breuer was one the 20th century’s most influential and innovative adherents of modernism. A member of the Bauhaus faculty, Breuer — like such colleagues as the architects Walter Gropius and Ludwig Mies van der Rohe, and the artists and art theoreticians László Moholy-Nagy and Josef Albers — left Europe in the 1930s to champion the new design philosophy and its practice in the United States.
Born in Hungary, Breuer became a Bauhaus student in 1920 and quickly impressed Gropius, the German school’s founder, with his aptitude for furniture design. His early work was influenced by the minimalist Dutch design movement De Stijl — in particular the work of architect Gerrit Rietveld. In 1925, while he was head of the Bauhaus furniture workshop, Breuer realized his signature innovation: the use of lightweight tubular-steel frames for chairs, tables and sofas — a technique soon adopted by Mies and others. Breuer’s attention gradually shifted from design to architecture, and, at the urging of Gropius, he joined his mentor in 1937 on the faculty of Harvard and in an architectural practice.
In the 1940s, Breuer opened his own architectural office, and there his style evolved from geometric, glass-walled structures toward a kind of hybrid architecture — seen in numerous Breuer houses in New England — that pairs bases of local fieldstone with sleek, wood-framed modernist upper floors. In his later, larger commissions, Breuer worked chiefly with reinforced concrete and stone, as seen in his best-known design, the brutalist inverted ziggurat built in New York in 1966 as the home of the Whitney Museum of American Art.
Breuer’s most famous furniture pieces are those made of tubular steel, which include the Wassily chair — named after Wassily Kandinsky and recognizable for its leather-strap seating supports — and the caned Cesca chair. Breuer also made several notable designs in molded plywood, including a chaise and nesting table for the British firm Isokon and a student furniture suite commissioned in 1938 for a dormitory at Bryn Mawr College. Whether in metal or wood, Breuer’s design objects are elegant and adaptable examples of classic modernist design — useful and appropriate in any environment.
- ShippingRetrieving quote...Ships From: PÉZENAS, France
- Return Policy
A return for this item may be initiated within 7 days of delivery.
- 8 Chairs Casala , 1970’s VintageBy Alexander BeggeLocated in PÉZENAS, FRThe classic from the 1970s. Original Casala chair model 2001/2002. Designed by Alexander Begge for Casala. Made in W. Germany series of 8 Casala chairs in resin by Alexander Begge...Category
Mid-20th Century German ChairsMaterials
- Pair of Swivel Tulip chairs , 1970’s FranceBy KnollLocated in PÉZENAS, FRNice pair of swivel Tulip chairs in chocolat velvet , original of 1970’s. The Tulip base is so large for a very good stability, and polyester is very strong to accept weight You wi...Category
Mid-20th Century French ChairsMaterials
- Charlotte Perriand Chairs , French Dining Chairs 1960’sBy Charlotte PerriandLocated in PÉZENAS, FRa pretty series of 6 rustic chairs by Charlotte Perriand the chairs have been freshly reupholstered by a specialist the beech structure is very solid with a beautiful 60's patina ...Category
Mid-20th Century French Dining Room ChairsMaterials
- Set of 3 Italian Chairs , 1970’sBy GiudiciLocated in PÉZENAS, FRInherited from the low chairs that used to be installed in front of the fireplace, this plump armchair that appeared in the 1970s has regained its place...Category
Mid-20th Century Italian Living Room SetsMaterials
- Leather Club Chair 1960s FranceLocated in PÉZENAS, FRLeather club chair from the 50s/60s in its beautiful original condition Its style and comfort will make this armchair an important piece in your interior The club chair was traditi...Category
Mid-20th Century French Club ChairsMaterials
- Napoleon 3 Lounge Chair in Leather FranceLocated in PÉZENAS, FRNapoleon 3 lounge chair in chesterfield style green leather It is adjustable to 5 comfort positions The structure is in solid mahogany, the fasteners are in brass and the sock is i...Category
Early 20th Century Napoleon III Chaise LonguesMaterials
- Wassily Lounge Chair by Marcel Breuer for KnollBy Marcel BreuerLocated in Byron Bay, NSWAll original Marcel Breuer Wassily chair for Knoll in brown leather straps and tubular frame. 1960s Mid-Century Modern authentic Wassily B3 chair designed by Marcel Breuer and made by Knoll. The chairs feature the iconic frame shape made of steel with a chrome finish. The seats have the original leather straps and seat finished in a rich brown color with a beautiful patina. This Wassily lounge chair...Category
Vintage 1960s Italian Mid-Century Modern ChairsMaterials
- Marcel Breuer TI-1A Chair / Authentic Bauhaus ChairBy Marcel BreuerLocated in Zürich, CHWooden-slat chair called "TI-1a" is an authentic Bauhaus item designed by Marcel Breuer in 1922-1924 and crafted at the Bauhaus in Weimar. Breuer was a modernist architect, sculptor and furniture designer, best known for the design of the most iconic chairs of 20th century...Category
Vintage 1920s German Bauhaus ArmchairsMaterials
- Wassily Chair by Marcel Breuer Upholstery in Yellow LeatherBy Marcel BreuerLocated in Ozzano Dell'emilia, ITWassily chair by Marcel Breuer dating back to Gavina’s production, recently restored with new leather upholstery. Following their meeting in New York in 1962, Dino Gavina started th...Category
Vintage 1960s Italian Mid-Century Modern ChairsMaterials
- Wassily Style Leather Chair in the Manner of Marcel BreuerBy Marcel BreuerLocated in Austin, TXA fine, comfortable Wassily style lounge chair from France featuring bands of stitched leather attached to a seamless tubular chrome frame, inspired by Marcel Breuer’s original desig...Category
20th Century French Modern Lounge ChairsMaterials
- Bauhaus Black Leather Wassily Chair by Marcel Breuer, 1960sBy Marcel BreuerLocated in Stockholm, SEBauhaus black leather Wassily chair by Marcel Breuer. Excellent vintage condition. Probably produced during the early 1960s.Category
Vintage 1980s European Bauhaus ArmchairsMaterials
- Wassily chair by Marcel BreuerBy Marcel BreuerLocated in Banská Štiavnica, SKWassily chair by Marcel Breuer later production from 1970s. New fabric seat.Category
Vintage 1970s German Bauhaus ArmchairsMaterials
Recently ViewedView All
The 1stDibs PromiseLearn More
Expertly Vetted Sellers
Confidence at Checkout
Trusted Global Delivery