Items Similar to Stamped early 18th Century Louis XVI Duchesse Brisee Longue Chair French Bergère
- Want more images or videos?Request additional images or videos from the seller
1 of 11
Stamped early 18th Century Louis XVI Duchesse Brisee Longue Chair French Bergère
Extremely rare French Louis XVI Duchesse Brisee (Chaise Longue or Lounge chair) by Nicolas-Jean Marchand, circa 1730s. Beautifully hand carved oak wood, newly restored and reupholstered with Casamance blue velvet fabric. Both chairs are signed (Estampillee) by Marchand at the bottom. Nicolas-Jean Marchand was a Louis XVI cabinetmaker well known for his furniture workshop in rue Saint-Nicolas. Marchand provided the King's court through Gilles Joubert, the King's cabinet maker. We also know that Marchand worked for the Marquis de Paulmy, governor of the Arsenal, and that Gaudreaux, overloaded by orders from the Crown Furniture Guard, entrusted him with certain subcontracted work.
- DimensionsHeight: 38 in. (96.52 cm)Width: 70 in. (177.8 cm)Depth: 27 in. (68.58 cm)Seat Height: 20 in. (50.8 cm)
- Sold AsSet of 2
- StyleLouis XVI (Of the Period)
- Materials and Techniques
- Place of Origin
- Date of Manufacture1730
- ConditionReupholstered. Newly reupholstered (Jan 2020). Solid frame in good general condition. Wear consistent with age and use.
- Seller LocationBrooklyn, NY
- Reference Number1stDibs: LU5380220014752
Shipping & Returns
- ShippingShips From: Pearl river, NY
- Return Policy
This item cannot be returned.
About the Seller
Located in Brooklyn, NY
No Reviews Yet
These experienced sellers undergo a comprehensive evaluation by our team of in-house experts.
Established in 2005
1stDibs seller since 2020
12 sales on 1stDibs
Typical response time: 2 hours
More From This Seller
- Pair of 19th Century Louis XVI French Side Chairs, Carved Oak Wood, circa 1840Located in Brooklyn, NYEarly 19th century pair of small side chairs. Built in 19th century French period. Refine carved oakwood. Frame in good condition. Wear consistent with age.Category
Antique 1840s French Louis XVI ChairsMaterials
Oak$1,760 Sale Price / set20% Off
- Pair of Napoleon III French Crapaud Armchairs Boucle ArmchairsLocated in Brooklyn, NYPair of Napoleon III French Tufted Crapaud armchairs. Walnut frame fully restored, newly upholstered in bouclé.Category
Antique Late 19th Century French Napoleon III ArmchairsMaterials
Bouclé$6,320 Sale Price / set20% Off
- 18th Century Louis XV French Provincial Carved Armoire or Wardrobe France, 1700sLocated in Brooklyn, NYThe French custom of a father's gift to his newborn daughter was the crafting or purchase of an armoire carved with symbols of plenty and happiness, which stored her trousseau to use...Category
Antique Mid-18th Century French Louis XV Wardrobes and ArmoiresMaterials
- Pair of Mid-19th Century French Carved Fauteuils Louis XVI ArmchairsLocated in Brooklyn, NYPair of 19th century Louis XVI style fauteuils armchairs, in overall excellent condition. Newly reupholstered.Category
Antique Mid-19th Century French Louis XV ArmchairsMaterials
Walnut$12,720 Sale Price / set20% Off
- Early 19th Century Empire Mahogany Fauteuils Bergères Aux Dauphins, circa 1830Located in Brooklyn, NYA 1830s pair of Empire mahogany French bergères Aux Dauphins Empire armchairs in the manner of Pierre Bellange (1760-1844). The mahogany frame with sabre front legs continuing as arm...Category
Antique 1830s French Empire Bergere ChairsMaterials
- Pair of Mid-Century Modern French Lounge Chairs, France, circa 1950Located in Brooklyn, NYPair of Mid-Century Modern cocktail chairs. This pair of vintage chairs feature an off white shell back cocktail with original leatherette (skai) upholstery. Made in France circa 105...Category
Mid-20th Century European Mid-Century Modern Lounge ChairsMaterials
You May Also Like
19th Century French Chaise Longue 'Duchesse Brisee' from Paris.
Located in Vancouver, British Columbia
An elegant early 19th century Louis XVI style painted, French Louis XVI-style ‘Duchesse Brisee’ or Chaise Longue (sometimes incorrectly pronounced 'Chaise Lounge'). Structurally sou...
Antique Early 19th Century French Louis XVI Chaise Longues
French Louis XV Style 1850s Walnut Duchesse Brisée Upholstered Chaise Longue
Located in Atlanta, GA
A French Louis XV style walnut upholstered duchesse brisée from the mid-19th century. This French two-piece chaise-longue features the typical exquisite and curvy lines of the Louis ...
Antique Mid-19th Century French Louis XV Daybeds
Upholstery, Wood, Walnut
$7,950 Sale Price
18th Century French Duchesse En Brisee
Located in Pasadena, CA
A set of two French chairs with ottoman having partially enclosed rounded heads and similar feet. Hardwood. Excellent antique condition, with newer upholstery, circa 1790.
Antique 18th Century French Louis XVI Chaise Longues
$13,900 / set
Louis XVI Style Chaise Longue, France, circa 1920s
Located in Isle Sur La Sorgue, Vaucluse
Graceful Louis XVI style recamier with a scrolled back. Decorated with carved rosettes and a fan-like motif on the side. Reeded apron. Raised on tapering fluted legs. The wood struct...
Early 20th Century French Louis XVI Daybeds
19th Century French Louis XVI Style Giltwood Duchesse Brisee
Located in Houston, TX
Stunning 19th century French Louis XVI style giltwood Duchesse Brisee.Our unusually shaped French Napoleon III duchesse brisee or chaise lounge is comprised of three pieces. A large ...
Antique 1860s French Louis XVI Chaise Longues
French Louis XVI Style Caned Chaise Longue or Lounge Daybed
Located in Rio Vista, CA
Fantastic French caned chaise lounge or lounge daybed made in the Louis XVI taste. Features a handcrafted double caned back in a barrel shape and a painted finish with molded arms. O...
Antique 19th Century French Louis XVI Chaise Longues
Fabric, Cane, Wood
18th Century French Directoire Chaise Longue with a Black and White Finish
Located in Dallas, TX
French Directoire period Recamier, chaise lounge in a black and white painted finish from the late 18th century. This Recamier is in an old painted finish, but likely not original pa...
Antique Late 18th Century French Directoire Chaise Longues
Impeccable French Louis XVI Style Black Leather Chaise Longue or Daybed
By Maison Jansen
Located in Los Angeles, CA
Impeccable French Louis XVI style black leather chaise longue or daybed. In the style of Maison Jansen. Sturdy lacquered caned hardwood frame with ostrich pattern black emu leathe...
20th Century French Louis XVI Daybeds
Leather, Ostrich Leather, Upholstery, Cane, Hardwood
Louis XV Duchesse "en bateau" Stamped J. Nadal L'Aîné
By Jean Nadal L'aine
Located in Paris, FR
The splendor of the Louis XV period is captured in this magnificent duchesse by the famed French ébéniste Jean-René Nadal (1733-1783). Beautifully upholstered in blue velvet that com...
Antique 1760s French Louis XV Chaise Longues
19th Century French Louis XVI Style Chaise Lounge Daybed
Located in Rio Vista, CA
Gorgeous 19th century French chaise lounge or daybed made in the Louis XVI taste. Features a hand carved walnut frame with a flat back an arched crest rail. The arms gracefully curve...
Antique 19th Century French Louis XVI Daybeds