- Want more images or videos?Request additional images or videos from the seller
Donghia "Norway" Club Chairs in Donghia "Edith" Fabric
- DimensionsHeight: 33 in. (83.82 cm)Width: 26.75 in. (67.95 cm)Depth: 28.25 in. (71.76 cm)Seat Height: 18 in. (45.72 cm)
- Sold AsSet of 2
- StyleMid-Century Modern (Of the Period)
- Materials and Techniques
- Place of Origin
- Date of Manufacturecirca 1980s
- ConditionNew upholstery, look great !
- Seller LocationDallas, TX
- Reference NumberSeller: 7000561stDibs: LU107841634302
Shipping & Returns
- ShippingShips From: Dallas, TX
- Return Policy
This item cannot be returned.
About the Manufacturer
With distinctive style touches like gray flannel upholstery and overstuffed seating, American designer Angelo Donghia (1935–85) was a visionary leader of bold interior design and furniture in the 1970s and ’80s. Although Donghia lived only to age 50, by the time of his death from AIDS-related pneumonia, his name graced numerous furniture and decor companies, in addition to his own interior designs.
After graduating from Parsons School of Design in 1959, Donghia joined the interiors firm of Yale R. Burge, and his star rose quickly from there. By 1963, he had been appointed vice president and in 1966, partner — a move that came with a name change for the firm to Burge-Donghia Interiors. In 1968, he founded the fabrics and wall coverings company & Vice Versa, and in 1978 he founded Donghia Furniture. With this holistic approach, Donghia was able to oversee nearly every element of an interior design project, which, for him, spanned everything from corporate offices (notably PepsiCo’s world headquarters in Purchase, New York) to the Metropolitan Opera Club at Lincoln Center to residential interiors for clients such as Diana Ross and Ralph Lauren.
After he inherited Burge’s firm, he continued to develop its reach as Donghia Associates. He opened a series of showrooms around the country to offer his designs to a wider audience, who loved the company’s marriage of minimal forms with luxe materials. His silver-foil ceilings, mixing of eclectic textile patterns and plush furniture set trends and, through mass marketing, influenced the direction of American interior design.
“I feel that I’ve developed my own style that is as classic and minimal as the ’30s style it reflects,” the designer once told New York magazine. In 2015, the retrospective “Angelo Donghia: Design Superstar” at the New York School of Interior Design chronicled his influence on all facets of modern interiors, from furnishings to wall coverings. It’s an approach that still resonates today. Donghia continued to operate as a company after his death, acquired by the Rubelli Group in 2005. After it filed for bankruptcy in 2020 and closed its showrooms, its name, designs, archives and inventory were acquired by Kravet.
Find authentic Donghia furniture today on 1stDibs.
- Pair of Club Chairs by Preview Furniture CompanyBy PreviewLocated in Dallas, TXVery nice chairs in a faux ostrich vinyl. Chairs are on casters. Great for a bar area, office, living or family room card table.Category
Mid-20th Century American Mid-Century Modern Club ChairsMaterials
Upholstery$1,800 / set
- Pair of Ward Bennett Swivel Lounge or Club ChairsBy Ward BennettLocated in Dallas, TXA comfortable pair of Ward Bennett lounge or club chairs with a swivel base and tufted seat and back.Category
20th Century American Mid-Century Modern Club ChairsMaterials
Aluminum$3,200 Sale Price / set44% Off
- Thonet Barrel White Faux Snakeskin and Chrome Club Chair, circa 1950'sBy ThonetLocated in Dallas, TXThis is a beautifully restored chair by Thonet. New upholstery and cushioning. In a faux snakeskin print.Category
20th Century American Mid-Century Modern ChairsMaterials
- Donghia's Anchor Table in Polished Steel and GlassBy DonghiaLocated in Dallas, TXBeautifully crafted cocktail table by Donghia. Polished steel and glass.Category
21st Century and Contemporary Italian Modern Coffee and Cocktail TablesMaterials
- Karl Springer Style Chairs in Blue Leather with Brass Finish Base on CastersBy Karl SpringerLocated in Dallas, TXKarl Springer or Sally Sirkin Lewis style chairs in blue leather with a brass finish base on casters. We are selling all three together or as a pair or a single. These chairs are in ...Category
21st Century and Contemporary Modern Club ChairsMaterials
Metal$1,750 Sale Price / item32% Off
- Warren Platner Bronze Frame Dining Chairs in Donghia UpholsteryBy Knoll, Warren PlatnerLocated in Dallas, TXWe have newly upholstered these stunning patinated bronze dining chairs by Warren Platner for Knoll is Donghia upholstery. It is a mustard yellow with a bronze undertone that complem...Category
Mid-20th Century North American Mid-Century Modern Dining Room ChairsMaterials
You May Also Like
Late 20th Century American Organic Modern Club Chairs
Leather, Rattan, Mahogany
Vintage 1970s Mid-Century Modern Club Chairs
21st Century and Contemporary American Modern Club Chairs
Early 20th Century Austrian Art Deco Armchairs
Late 20th Century Modern Club Chairs
Vintage 1970s Club Chairs
2010s Italian Armchairs
Late 20th Century Modern Club Chairs
21st Century and Contemporary European Mid-Century Modern Armchairs