Knoll Barcelona Couch Daybed or Sofa in White Sabrina Leather, circa 1997Item Status:
- Want more images or videos?Request additional images or videos from the seller
Knoll Barcelona Couch Daybed or Sofa in White Sabrina Leather, circa 1997
- CreatorLudwig Mies van der Rohe (Designer)
- DimensionsHeight: 25 in. (63.5 cm)Width: 39 in. (99.06 cm)Depth: 78 in. (198.12 cm)Seat Height: 15.5 in. (39.37 cm)
- StyleModern (Of the Period)
- Date of Manufacture1997
- ConditionWear consistent with age and use. Please contact us for a detailed condition report.
- Seller LocationFt Lauderdale, FL
- Reference Number1stDibs: LU885012217153
Shipping & Returns
- ShippingRates vary by destination and complexity. We recommend this shipping type based on item size, type and fragility.Ships From: Ft Lauderdale, FL
- Return Policy
This item cannot be returned.
About Ludwig Mies van der Rohe (Designer)
Architect, furniture designer and educator, Ludwig Mies van der Rohe was a central figure in the advancement and promotion of modernist design and architectural theory and practice. Like Frank Lloyd Wright and Le Corbusier, he was a hugely influential presence in the field, who shaped the course of 20th-century architecture both through his buildings and his teaching of rationalist design principles.
Born in the medieval German city of Aachen, Mies found an interest in architecture as a boy while working for his father, a master stonemason. He had no formal education as an architect, but learned his skills as an apprentice to the designer Bruno Paul, and as a staffer in the office the proto-modernist architect and designer Peter Behrens. Following World War I, Mies rose to prominence in his field amid the liberal atmosphere of the Weimar Republic. His reputation was secured by his work on the German Pavilion at the 1929 International Exposition in Barcelona (commonly referred to as the Barcelona Pavilion) — which Mies codesigned with Lilly Reich, his creative and romantic partner — a radically simple, poetic, open-plan building pared down to its architectural essentials. Mies would go on to direct the Bauhaus from 1930 until 1933, when Nazi-government interference forced the closure of the progressive art and design school. Later that decade, he made his way to Chicago, where he remained for the rest of his career as a practicing architect and a dean of the Illinois Institute of Technology.
Mies’s famed dictum “less is more” grew from his belief that architecture both guides and expresses the spirit of the times, and he envisioned the 20th century as open-minded, logical, transparent and liberated by technology. His best-known buildings — residences such as the Villa Tugendhat in Czechoslovakia and the Farnsworth House in rural Illinois; skyscrapers like the 860–880 Lake Shore Drive apartment towers in Chicago and the Seagram Building in New York — reflect that philosophy. As do the most famous furniture designs authored by him or codesigned with Reich.
Pieces designed by Mies and Reich such as the Barcelona chair, stools and daybed, or the cantilevered Brno chairs, deliver a maximum of comfort and support from a minimum of materials: their “lavishness” derives from the precision with which they are engineered and constructed. For the collector, the allure of Mies’s furniture is at once practical and idealistic. Useful and functional, his works embody the highest aspirations of modernism.
- By Vico MagistrettiLocated in Ft Lauderdale, FLPair of leather sofas or couches by Vico Magistretti for Cassina, Italy, 1980's. (ONE SHOWN) Designed by Vico Ma...Category
Vintage 1980s Italian Modern SofasMaterials
- By Osvaldo BorsaniLocated in Ft Lauderdale, FLDaybed L77 Osvaldo Borsani for Tecno, circa 1956, Italy. Multi positional, 36" wide with movable head and foot b...Category
Mid-20th Century Italian DaybedsMaterials
- By Osvaldo BorsaniLocated in Ft Lauderdale, FLBench or sofa in leather steel and granite Osvaldo Borsani for Tecno, Italy, 1980s. WS bench, seating system or ...Category
Vintage 1980s Italian Modern SofasMaterials
- By Le Corbusier, Pierre Jeanneret, Charlotte Perriand CassinaLocated in Ft Lauderdale, FLRare early LC5 leather sofa Le Corbusier, Jeanneret, Perriand, Cassina Italy circa 1974 flat bar construction, d...Category
Mid-20th Century Italian Bauhaus SofasMaterials
- By Calvin Furniture, Paul McCobbLocated in Ft Lauderdale, FLChaise longue / longue with back pillow by Paul McCobb for Calvin Furniture, 1950s American mid-century modern. ...Category
Vintage 1950s American Mid-Century Modern Chaise LonguesMaterials
- By PreviewLocated in Ft Lauderdale, FLSet of five bar or counter stools in lacquer and leather midcentury. Full set of five (5) armed, camel-colored l...Category
Late 20th Century Modern StoolsMaterials
You May Also Like
Vintage 1960s American Mid-Century Modern Sofas
Vintage 1970s European Mid-Century Modern Daybeds
Vintage 1960s Mid-Century Modern Daybeds
Vintage 1950s American Mid-Century Modern Daybeds
Vintage 1930s German Art Deco Sofas
Vintage 1960s German Minimalist Daybeds
Vintage 1970s Swiss Mid-Century Modern Sofas
Vintage 1960s Mid-Century Modern Sofas
The 1stDibs PromiseLearn More
Expertly Vetted Sellers
Confidence at Checkout
Insured Global Delivery