Eero Saarinen Conference Chair, Knoll International
About the Item
- Creator:Eero Saarinen (Designer)
- Design:Executive Armless ChairExecutive Series
- Dimensions:Height: 31.89 in (81 cm)Width: 22.45 in (57 cm)Depth: 20.48 in (52 cm)Seat Height: 19.3 in (49 cm)
- Style:Mid-Century Modern (Of the Period)
- Materials and Techniques:
- Place of Origin:
- Date of Manufacture:1970
- Condition:Reupholstered. Wear consistent with age and use. New velvet upholstery.
- Seller Location:Berlin, DE
- Reference Number:1stDibs: LU4616222632082
Saarinen Executive Armless Chair
With the founding of the Knoll Planning Unit at Knoll Associates in 1946, the modern open-plan office was born. Soon after the launch of the internationally celebrated design firm’s workplace-focused division, the Saarinen Executive Armless chair would emerge as one of its seating staples. A departure from more rigid office seating, the 1950 design by Finnish architect Eero Saarinen (1910–61) offered some of the comfort of his 1948 Womb chair in a more formal shape. Nicknamed “that chair with the hole in the back” for its sculptural seat back, it fit easily into mid-century boardrooms and corporate cafeterias as part of the harmonious interiors designed by Florence Knoll, a legendary figure in mid-century modernism.
Saarinen and Knoll met while they were studying at the Cranbrook Academy of Art in Bloomfield Hills, Michigan, where Saarinen’s father, Eliel, was dean. Their lifelong friendship led to some of the most revered designs of the 20th century. Like his work in architecture, from the Gateway Arch to the TWA Flight Center, Saarinen’s furniture used innovations in postwar materials to create dynamic volumes. The Executive Armless chair expanded on Saarinen’s ergonomic experiments in molded plywood furniture that he had designed in collaboration with fellow Cranbrook alumnus Charles Eames (with assistance from Ray Eames), work which had been honored in the Museum of Modern Art’s Organic Design Competition.
The chairs introduced as the 71 and 72 Series found their initial multipurpose use in the Knoll office interiors but soon were popular in home dining rooms and living spaces. Knoll, Inc. continues to produce the Saarinen Executive Armless chair, with options updating the design’s original fiberglass form including an exposed plastic back or upholstered polyurethane shell joined by a contoured plywood seat and sturdy legs in steel or wood.
Through his work as an architect and designer, Eero Saarinen was a prime mover in the introduction of modernism into the American mainstream. Particularly affecting were the organic, curvilinear forms seen in Saarinen’s furniture and his best-known structures: the gull-winged TWA Flight Center at John F. Kennedy airport in New York (opened 1962), Dulles International Airport in Virginia (1962) and the Gateway Arch in St. Louis, Missouri (1965).
Saarinen had a peerless modernist pedigree. His father, Eliel Saarinen, was an eminent Finnish architect who in 1932 became the first head of the Cranbrook Academy of Art in suburban Detroit. The school became synonymous with progressive design and decorative arts in the United States, and while studying there the younger Saarinen met and befriended several luminaries of mid-century modernism, among them Harry Bertoia and Charles and Ray Eames.
At Cranbrook, Saarinen also met Florence Schust Knoll, who, as director of her husband Hans Knoll's eponymous furniture company, would put Saarinen’s best designs into production. These include the Grasshopper chair, designed in 1946 and so named because its angled bentwood frame resembles the insect; the Tulip chair (1957), a flower-shaped fiberglass shell mounted on a cast-aluminum pedestal; and the lushly contoured Womb lounge chair and ottoman (1948). In his furniture as in his architecture, the keynotes of Eero Saarinen’s designs are simplicity, strength and grace.
- ShippingRetrieving quote...Ships From: Berlin, Germany
- Return Policy
A return for this item may be initiated within 3 days of delivery.
- Pair of Eero Saarinen Conference Chairs, Knoll InternationalBy Eero SaarinenLocated in Berlin, BerlinA pair of conference chairs designed by Eero Saarinen. U.S.A., Knoll International, circa 1970. The conference chair, no. 72 with chrome plated metal frame and new velvet covered ...Category
Vintage 1970s American Mid-Century Modern Dining Room ChairsMaterials
- Set of 6 Chairs by Warren Platner, Knoll International, 1970sBy Warren PlatnerLocated in Berlin, BerlinSet of 6 armchairs designed by Warren Platner. U.S.A., Knoll International, 1966. Wonderful vintage set of six chairs in polished nickel with turquoise backs and seat cushions. An...Category
Vintage 1970s American Modern Dining Room ChairsMaterials
- Vintage Barcelona Chair & Footstool by Knoll International, Early 1970sBy Ludwig Mies van der RoheLocated in Berlin, BerlinLounge chair and footstool designed by Mies van der Rohe. U.S.A., Knoll International, Early 1970s. Original super vintage and patinated 'BARCELONA CHAIR' in brown leather. Chrome...Category
Vintage 1970s American Modern Lounge ChairsMaterials
- Pair of Norman Cherner Side ChairsBy Norman ChernerLocated in Berlin, BerlinPair of side chairs designed by Norman Cherner. U.S.A., Cherner, 1958. A pair of recent production side chairs in classic walnut laminate on moulded plywood...Category
Early 2000s American Mid-Century Modern ChairsMaterials
- Set of four chairs designed by Eugen Schmidt. Germany, ES-Eugen Schmidt DarmstadBy Eugen SchmidtLocated in Berlin, BerlinSet of four chairs designed by Eugen Schmidt. Germany, ES-Eugen Schmidt Darmstadt, 1965. Chromed tube steel base with dark bent plywood seat and backrest. Sand coloured wool upholst...Category
Vintage 1960s German Mid-Century Modern Dining Room ChairsMaterials
- Vintage Dining Table by Warren Platner, Knoll International, 1970sBy Warren PlatnerLocated in Berlin, BerlinWonderful vintage table with nickel-plated curved steel rods welded to circular and semi-circular frames. Original glass top with bevelled edges. A perfect table dating from the 1970...Category
Vintage 1960s American Modern TablesMaterials
- Eero Saarinen for Knoll International Tulip ChairsBy Knoll, Eero SaarinenLocated in Dronten, NLClassic Tulip dining chairs designed in 1956 by Eero Saarinen for Knoll International. A defining accomplishment of modern design and a timeless addition to your home—a true Classic....Category
Vintage 1960s American Mid-Century Modern Dining Room ChairsMaterials
- Eero Saarinen for Knoll International Set of Six Dining ChairsBy Eero Saarinen, KnollLocated in Waalwijk, NLEero Saarinen for Knoll International, set of six dining chairs, model '72', chrome-plated steel, fiberglass, fabric, United States, design 1948, produced 1970s Dining chairs mode...Category
Vintage 1940s American Mid-Century Modern Dining Room ChairsMaterials
- Set of Four Eero Saarinen for Knoll International Dining ChairsBy Eero Saarinen, KnollLocated in Waalwijk, NLEero Saarinen for Knoll International, set of four model 72 chairs, in chrome and leather fabric, United States, 1948. Set of four organic shaped chairs designed by Eero Saarinen...Category
Vintage 1940s American Mid-Century Modern ChairsMaterials
- Eero Saarinen for Knoll International Set of Four Dining Chairs in PlywoodBy Eero Saarinen, Florence KnollLocated in Waalwijk, NLEero Saarinen for Knoll International, set of four dining chairs, coated iron, plywood, velvet, United States / Belgium, design 1948, production 1960s Four organic shaped chairs des...Category
Vintage 1950s American Mid-Century Modern Dining Room ChairsMaterials
- Eero Saarinen for Knoll International Dining Chair in Ocher Yellow UpholsteryBy Eero Saarinen, KnollLocated in Waalwijk, NLEero Saarinen for Knoll International, dining chair model 72, wood, fabric, United States 1948. An organic shaped chair designed by Eero Saarinen. A fluid, sculptural form. This ...Category
Vintage 1940s American Mid-Century Modern Dining Room ChairsMaterials
- 4 Tulip Chairs, Eero Saarinen Knoll InternationalBy Eero SaarinenLocated in Saint ouen, FR4 Tulip chairs - Eero Saarinen Knoll International Black with removable cream cushions Signed under the foot New Rotatable Dimensions : H 80 x 4...Category
Recently ViewedView All
The 1stDibs PromiseLearn More
Expertly Vetted Sellers
Confidence at Checkout
Trusted Global Delivery