French Provincial Cane Dining Chairs by Century Furniture, Set of 6
About the Item
- Creator:Century Furniture (Manufacturer)
- Dimensions:Height: 42 in (106.68 cm)Width: 23 in (58.42 cm)Depth: 24 in (60.96 cm)Seat Height: 18.5 in (46.99 cm)
- Sold As:Set of 6
- Style:French Provincial (In the Style Of)
- Materials and Techniques:
- Date of Manufacture:1970s
- Condition:Wear consistent with age and use. All are in very good, structurally sound and sturdy condition with no stains or other notable damage. The photos are an important part of the item description and condition so please use the zoom feature to view them closely.
- Seller Location:Lake Worth, FL
- Reference Number:1stDibs: LU5963233573731
Known for its durable vintage display cabinets, nightstands and dressers made of cherry, oak, walnut and more, Century Furniture of Hickory, North Carolina, began as an upholstered goods company in 1947 but added case goods and sophisticated mahogany dining-room furnishings shortly thereafter.
Launched by Harley Ferguson Shuford Sr., a Hickory native who was born to a family of textile mill owners, Century Furniture was intended to be “the best furniture company in the world.” With respect to speed and efficiency, the brand found its footing midway through production on a government contract that Shuford had secured in the early days to manufacture thousands of five-drawer chests. The effort was significant, but it was also a teachable moment as far as Shuford and his team’s learning the ropes of running a factory.
After hiring designer Raymond K. Sobota in 1950 and introducing the enormously popular Citation Collection in 1954, Century established its reputation as a leader in stylishly designed high-quality furniture. Sobota had furniture in his blood — after graduating from Kendall College of Art & Design in Grand Rapids, Michigan, he worked for his uncle Karl Schmidt, who was at the time a well-known furniture designer for Berkey and Gay and other makers in the Grand Rapids area, then known as America’s furniture capital. Sobota soon launched his own studio, designing furniture as a freelancer for various local manufacturers. Shuford found him by happenstance, journeying to Michigan’s second-largest city to offer a job to another designer who turned him down but recommended Sobota instead.
Century’s Citation line — a sizable collection for the brand that spanned furnishings for the bedroom, dining room and more — is revered in the world of vintage mid-century modern furniture collectors. The pieces sold very well during the 1950s, and the line is an oft-cited success story for Sobota, who would go on to win awards for his work and whose own catalogue of designs for the brand is massive.
In his 40-year career at Century, until he retired in 1995, he designed well over 100 furniture lines. Sobota’s nightstands, cabinets, side tables and more are characterized by his interest in Asian design, distinctly and brilliantly expressed in his Hollywood Regency–style Chin Hua line, which debuted during the 1970s. With its geometrically decorative brass drawer pulls and door handles as well as dining-chair seat-back carvings — all inspired by Asian motifs — this collection has rendered vintage pieces that saw Century’s craftsmen working with alluring ebonized walnut and more, some of the company’s most sought-after work today.
Also in the 1970s as well as in the 1980s, Manhattan interior designer Jay Spectre introduced an Art Deco–informed spirit at Century Furniture, creating oversize, inviting lounge chairs and bentwood benches that featured plush tufted leather cushions. Spectre’s Eclipse collection was at one point among the largest-selling lines for the brand.
Century licensed collections with celebrity interior designers such as Thomas O’Brien, Charlotte Moss and Bunny Williams among others. In 2013, when Alex Shuford III was named president of Century Furniture, the move marked the succession of the third generation to lead this company, which is today one of the world’s largest privately held manufacturers of high-end furniture.
- ShippingRetrieving quote...Ships From: Lake Worth, FL
- Return Policy
A return for this item may be initiated within 2 days of delivery.
- Henredon French Provincial Cane Back Dining Chairs, Set of 6By HenredonLocated in Lake Worth, FLOffering one of our recent Palm Beach Estate fine furniture acquisitions of a set of 6 vintage henredon French Provincial cane back dining chairs Set includes 2 arm and 4 side chairs...Category
Mid-20th Century French Provincial Dining Room ChairsMaterials
- Antique French Provincial Cane Walnut Dining Chairs, Set of 6Located in Lake Worth, FLOffering One Of Our Recent Palm Beach Estate Fine Furniture Acquisitions Of A Set of 6 Antique Early 1900's French Provincial Cane Walnut Dini...Category
Early 20th Century French Provincial Dining Room ChairsMaterials
- Italian Alfresco Style Dining Chairs by CENTURY FURNITURE - Set of 4By Century FurnitureLocated in Lake Worth, FLFor FULL item description be sure to click on CONTINUE READING at the bottom of this listing. Offering One Of Our Recent Palm Beach Estate Fine Furniture Acquisitions Of A Set of (4) Italian Alfresco Style Dining Chairs by CENTURY...Category
Vintage 1980s French Provincial Dining Room ChairsMaterials
- French Provincial Mahogany Dining Chairs by Bau Furniture Co, Set of 6By Bau Furniture 1Located in Lake Worth, FLFor full item description be sure to click on CONTINUE READING at the bottom of this listing. Offering one of our recent palm beach estate fine furniture acquisitions of a set of...Category
Vintage 1980s French Provincial Dining Room ChairsMaterials
- Faux Bois Dining Chairs Lacquered by Century Furniture Set of 6By Century FurnitureLocated in Lake Worth, FLFor FULL item description click on CONTINUE READING at the bottom of this page. Offering One of our recent Palm Beach Estate Fine Furniture Acquisitions of a set of 6 lacquered f...Category
Vintage 1970s Dining Room ChairsMaterials
- Os De Mouton Wingback Dining Chairs by Century Furniture, Set of 8By Century FurnitureLocated in Lake Worth, FLOffering one of our recent palm beach estate fine furniture acquisitions of a Set of (8) Os De Mouton wingback dining chairs by Century Furnitu...Category
Vintage 1980s Dining Room ChairsMaterials
- Set of Twelve Country French Provincial Fruitwood Caned Dining ChairsLocated in Rio Vista, CARemarkable set of twelve hand-crafted French dining chairs constructed from fruitwood. Made in the country French provincial taste featuring caned seats and backs. The shaped back co...Category
20th Century French French Provincial Dining Room ChairsMaterials
- Century Furniture Traditional Dining Chairs, Set of 8By Century FurnitureLocated in Countryside, ILCentury Furniture traditional dining chairs - Set of 8 Each chair measures: 25 wide x 23 deep x 39.5 high, with a seat height of 19.5 and ar...Category
2010s American Modern Dining Room ChairsMaterials
- Set of Six 1900s French Provincial Dining ChairsLocated in Los Angeles, CAPresenting our exceptional set of six French Provincial Dining Chairs, circa 1900s, meticulously restored and reupholstered by our in-house te...Category
Antique Early 1900s French French Provincial Dining Room ChairsMaterials
Fabric, Mohair, Upholstery, Foam, Wood, Lacquer
- 6 Century Furniture Deer Creek Caribou Dining Chairs Old World French CountryBy Century FurnitureLocated in Dayton, OHA stunning set of six century dining room chairs. 4 deer creek / mill room side chairs paired with the caribou club arm chair, sierra finish. An elegant blend between French Country ...Category
Late 20th Century French Provincial Dining Room ChairsMaterials
- 1950s Set of Six Vintage French Provincial Pretzel Ribbon Back Dining ChairsLocated in Dallas, TXSix elegant French Provincial style dining chairs, circa 1950s. Solid wood chairs, have a scalloped rail formed by three interlocking ovals on the back, generous padded seats upholst...Category
Vintage 1950s American French Provincial Dining Room ChairsMaterials
- Set of Eight French Provincial Louis XIV Style Upholstered Walnut Dining ChairsLocated in Middleburg, VASet of Eight French Provincial Louis XIV Style Dining Chairs. Richly patinated walnut with carved “os de mouton” (mutton-bone) legs and stretchers. Two Armchairs and Six Side chairs,...Category
Antique Late 19th Century French French Provincial Dining Room ChairsMaterials
Recently ViewedView All
The 1stDibs PromiseLearn More
Expertly Vetted Sellers
Confidence at Checkout
Trusted Global Delivery