1 Ward Bennett For Brickell Green Mohair Lounge Chair
View Similar Items
1 Ward Bennett For Brickell Green Mohair Lounge Chair
- Creator:Ward Bennett (Designer)
- Dimensions:Height: 31.5 in (80.01 cm)Width: 31.5 in (80.01 cm)Depth: 27.5 in (69.85 cm)Seat Height: 15.5 in (39.37 cm)
- Style:Mid-Century Modern (Of the Period)
- Materials and Techniques:
- Place of Origin:
- Date of Manufacture:1970's
- Condition:Wear consistent with age and use. needs reupholstery.
- Seller Location:Pasadena, TX
- Reference Number:Seller: MR79791stDibs: LU8671753018
About the Designer
Ward Bennett created everything from interiors and furniture to textiles and flatware. The unsung New York City-born modernist designer drew on the work of Le Corbusier and Auguste Rodin, studied art with the likes of Abstract Expressionist painter Hans Hofmann and counted legendary American luxury house Tiffany & Co. among his clients. For decades, Bennett created and filled spaces that were elegant, minimalist and deeply appealed to everyone who laid eyes on them.
Bennett left home and school at the young age of 13. He found work in Manhattan’s Garment District, and within a few years, Bennett traveled to Europe on behalf of a clothing manufacturer to gather ideas for modern garments. He lived abroad as a young man, and when he returned to New York, during the early 1940s, he assisted fashion entrepreneur Hattie Carnegie as a window dresser.
Bennett would also go on to share a sculpture studio with artist Louise Nevelson. He ventured into the world of jewelry design, creating necklaces, bracelets and other pieces with Richard Pousette-Dart. The Whitney Museum of American Art exhibited his sculptures, and it wouldn’t be long before the Museum of Modern Art included Bennett’s personal adornments with accessories by the likes of Alexander Calder, Harry Bertoia and Anni Albers in its 1946 “Modern Handmade Jewelry” show.
Bennett didn’t take the plunge into interior design work until he was 30 years old — his inaugural project was an apartment in Manhattan and his clients were family members. He had no formal training in architecture or decorating — and would ultimately design a mere handful of houses in his life — so for his inviting leather office chairs, marble-topped tables and sleek storage cabinets, Bennett relied only on what he learned in the fashion world. Soon, every time he redecorated his own home — an elaborate apartment comprising former maids’ quarters in New York City’s magnificent Dakota building — it earned splashy coverage in the newspapers.
Bennett’s client list eventually included David Rockefeller and Chase Manhattan Bank, Tiffany & Co., Sasaki, Italian industrialist Gianni Agnelli, and others, and during the 1970s he became in-house designer for Brickel Associates, a role that would endure for more than two decades. His work is on permanent view at the Museum of Modern Art and the Cooper-Hewitt National Design Museum in New York.
- 1 Ward Bennett Tufted Lounge ChairBy Ward BennettLocated in Pasadena, TXLounge Chair by Ward Bennett Barrel back lounge chairs with deep button tufting. Walnut legs. Extremely comfortable. By Ward Bennett for Brickel Associates, American, circa 1970....Category
Late 20th Century Mid-Century Modern Lounge ChairsMaterials
- Pair of Ward Bennett Geiger Lounge ChairsBy Ward BennettLocated in Pasadena, TXWard Bennett As a young man, Mr. Bennett undertook various studies in the Fine Arts including drawing at the Porto Romano school in Florence and in Paris...Category
Late 20th Century North American Mid-Century Modern Lounge ChairsMaterials
Walnut$6,000 Sale Price / set20% Off
- Pair of Ward Bennett Tufted Club ChairsBy Ward BennettLocated in Pasadena, TXPair of Ward Bennett tufted club chairs Barrel back lounge chairs with deep button tufting. Extremely comfortable. By Ward Bennett for Brickel Associates, American, circa 1970....Category
Vintage 1970s American Mid-Century Modern Lounge ChairsMaterials
Fabric$9,600 Sale Price / set20% Off
- 1 Ward Bennett Oak Mohair Bankers Executive Chair Bronze BaseBy Ward BennettLocated in Pasadena, TX1 Ward Bennett oak mohair executive chair Designed 1967 Rare version of task chair. Original mohair upholstery with oak frames. Bronze adjustable...Category
Mid-20th Century American Mid-Century Modern Swivel ChairsMaterials
- 1 Ward Bennett For Brickel Fabric Upholstered Arm ChairBy Ward BennettLocated in Pasadena, TXA more traditional take on Ward Bennett's Banker chairs. Designed by Ward Bennett for Brickel. Cherry frames with rich floral upholstery. 4 available. 24 x 24 x 32Category
Late 20th Century ArmchairsMaterials
Fabric, Cherry$400 Sale Price / item88% Off
- 1 Ward Bennett for Brickel and Associates Leather Desk ChairBy Ward Bennett, Brickel AssociatesLocated in Pasadena, TXWard Bennett for Brickel and Associates Barrel-Back leather desk chair 6 available 4-star anodized bronze base swivel conference room chair...Category
Vintage 1970s North American Mid-Century Modern Side ChairsMaterials
- Ward Bennett for Brickell Newly Caned "Sled" Lounge Chair, Circa 1970By Brickel Associates, Ward BennettLocated in Bainbridge, NYChromed Steel and Cane Lounge Chair by Ward Bennett for Brickell. Featuring a low chromed X frame, newly unstained cane seat, curved back, covered arms, with Chrome back brace. Wide....Category
Vintage 1960s American Modern Lounge ChairsMaterials
- Pair of Signed Ward Bennett for Brickell Assoc Tub Lounge Chairs in Gray MohairBy Ward BennettLocated in Ft Lauderdale, FLPair of Signed Ward Bennett for Brickell Assoc Tub Lounge Chairs in Gray Mohair Pair of signed tub or barrel lounge chairs by Ward Bennett for Brickell Assoc. in gray mohair. Comfort...Category
Mid-20th Century American Modern Lounge ChairsMaterials
- After Ward Bennett Sled Lounges Chairs for SeligBy Selig, Ward BennettLocated in Chicago, ILThese Director Chairs, are a timeless design masterpiece that effortlessly combines form and function. Crafted circa, 1965, these chairs are a testament to the enduring appeal of min...Category
Vintage 1960s Italian Mid-Century Modern Lounge ChairsMaterials
Chrome$10,000 / set
- Ward Bennett Sled Lounge Chair for Brickel AssociatesBy Ward Bennett, Brickel AssociatesLocated in Los Angeles, CASled chair by Ward Bennett for Brickel Associates, c.1960s, USA. This slipper lounge chair features a tubular chrome frame with "x" base, woven cane seat and seat back and cane wrapp...Category
Vintage 1960s American Mid-Century Modern Lounge ChairsMaterials
- Ward Bennett Brickell Club ChairBy Ward Bennett, Brickel AssociatesLocated in Dallas, TXBring a distinctive look to your seating area with this sleek club chair model no.Q2083 by Ward Bennett for Brickel Associates, 1960s. Featuring a tub form with tapered sides and plu...Category
Vintage 1960s North American Mid-Century Modern Club ChairsMaterials