- Want more images or videos?Request additional images or videos from the seller
1st-Gen 1958 Arne Jacobsen Egg Chair for Fritz Hansen w Original Leather, Signed
About the Item
- Creator:Fritz Hansen (Manufacturer),Arne Jacobsen (Designer)
- Dimensions:Height: 42 in (106.68 cm)Width: 34 in (86.36 cm)Depth: 31 in (78.74 cm)Seat Height: 16 in (40.64 cm)
- Style:Mid-Century Modern (Of the Period)
- Materials and Techniques:
- Place of Origin:
- Date of Manufacture:c 1958
- Condition:Ideal collectors example, this early year original production has beautiful patinated and lightly distressed leather. See description for more details, ready for immediate use.
- Seller Location:Los Angeles, CA
- Reference Number:1stDibs: LU1330229200002
The eye-catching work of the Danish architect and designer Arne Jacobsen often introduces new collectors to mid-20th century furniture. With their fluid lines and sculptural presence, Jacobsen’s signature pieces — the elegant Swan chair and the cozy-yet-cutting edge Egg chair, both first presented in 1958 — are iconic representations of both the striking aesthetic of the designers of the era and their concomitant attention to practicality and comfort. Jacobsen designed furniture that had both gravitas and groove.
Though Jacobsen is a paragon of Danish modernism, his approach to design was the least “Danish” of those who are counted as his peers. The designs of Hans Wegner, Finn Juhl, Børge Mogensen and others grew out of their studies as cabinetmakers. They prized skilled craftsmanship and their primary material was carved, turned and joined wood. Jacobsen was first and foremost an architect, and while he shared his colleagues’ devotion to quality of construction, he was far more open to other materials such as metal and fiberglass.
Many of Jacobsen’s best-known pieces had their origin in architectural commissions. His molded-plywood, three-legged Ant chair (1952) was first designed for the cafeteria of a pharmaceutical company headquarters. The tall-backed Oxford chair was made for the use of dons at St. Catherine’s College, Oxford, whose Jacobsen-designed campus opened in 1962 (while still under construction). The Swan, Egg and Drop chairs and the AJ desk lamp were all created as part of Jacobsen’s plan for the SAS Royal Copenhagen Hotel, which opened in 1960. (The hotel has since been redecorated, but one guest room has been preserved with all-Jacobsen accoutrements.)
To Jacobsen’s mind, the chief merit of any design was practicality. He designed the first stainless-steel cutlery set made by the Danish silver company Georg Jensen; Jacobsen’s best-selling chair — the plywood Series 7 — was created to provide lightweight, stackable seating for modern eat-in kitchens. But as you will see from the objects on 1stDibs, style never took a backseat to function in Arne Jacobsen’s work. His work merits a place in any modern design collection.
Find authentic Arne Jacobsen chairs, tables, sofas and other furniture on 1stDibs.
Shipping & Returns
- ShippingRetrieving quote...Ships From: Long Beach, CA
- Return Policy
A return for this item may be initiated within 14 days of delivery.
Automaton is the premier source for early-production originals of hard-to-find 20th-century designs and functional art, serving a range of clients, from celebrities and interior designers to aficionados with modest budgets. Its 20,000-square-foot Los Angeles space is packed with rare examples of designs from a large repertoire of such designers as Philip and Kelvin LaVerne, Vladimir Kagan, Eero Saarinen, Ludwig Mies van der Rohe, Jorge Zalszupin, Sergio Rodrigues and Giuseppe Scapinelli.
- Egg Chair by Arne Jacobson for Fritz Hansen in Blue Leather, SignedBy Arne Jacobsen, Fritz HansenLocated in Los Angeles, CAA fantastic signed example egg chair by Arne Jacobson for Fritz Hansen in a custom commissioned electrifying blue high-grade leather with in...Category
2010s American Mid-Century Modern Swivel ChairsMaterials
Aluminum$7,300 Sale Price33% Off
- Leather 'Oxford' Swivel Chair by Arne Jacobsen for Fritz Hansen, 1973, SignedBy Arne Jacobsen, Fritz HansenLocated in Los Angeles, CAModel 3271 Oxford chairs designed by Arne Jacobsen for Fritz Hansen in 1963 in excellent condition. This chair was produced in 1973 per the affixed Fritz Hansen label. *NOTE* Only one (1) chair is still available from the set of six that we originally had. Price listed is for one chair. The supple, green-gold leather upholstery is in fabulous condition with no rips, tears or issues. It has an elegant depth that offsets the utilitarian metal frames; the gorgeous combination sets these chairs apart from the rest, making them an inimitable addition to any stylish office, home or studio. This chair would work great in a Mid-Century Modern, Scandanavian Modern or Danish Modern home or penthouse apartment but could also look fantastic in a Contemporary or Post-Modern room. Also consider mixing it up in a Traditional, Transitional, Classical or Art Deco room with a splash of juxtaposition. Would also be an apt choice in a commercial project such as a hotel lobby lounge or members club, creative design studio or high-rise executive office. Consider using as side chairs, cafe or breakfast table chairs, bedside chair, fireside chair, dressing or changing room...Category
Vintage 1970s Danish Mid-Century Modern ArmchairsMaterials
Metal$1,950 Sale Price22% Off
- Preben Fabricius & Jørgen Kastholm 'Bird' Chairs for Alfred Kill, 1960s, SignedBy Jørgen Kastholm & Preben Fabricius, Alfred Kill InternationalLocated in Los Angeles, CAA gorgeous set of six original classic low-back 'bucket' versions of the Model FK-6725 deep blue leather 'Bird' chairs, also commonly referred to as the 'Tulip' chair and originally ...Category
Vintage 1960s German Mid-Century Modern Dining Room ChairsMaterials
Aluminum$26,900 Sale Price / set20% Off
- Aluminum Group Desk Chairs by Charles Eames for Herman Miller, SignedBy Charles and Ray Eames, Charles Eames, Herman MillerLocated in Los Angeles, CAThis classic and stylish 'Aluminum Group' executive desk chair by Charles and Ray Eames for Herman Miller. Signed underneath seat with Herman Miller labels and production date September 2000. This beautiful office chair features black channel stitched seats and integrated seat backs with aluminum five star bases on casters with tilt adjust and height adjust mechanisms, and is height adjustable. Similar to the Soft Pad collection, also by Eames, which was based on the design of the Aluminum Group chairs with the addition of padded cushions. This iconic 'Aluminum Group' chair by Charles Eames for Herman Miller with its graceful silhouette and clean lines make it appropriate for a number of locations, from Classic and contemporary homes to elegant executive offices, home office or hip startups. Consider using in a Mid-Century Modern or Postmodern home...Category
Early 2000s American Mid-Century Modern Office Chairs and Desk ChairsMaterials
- Original 'Birillo' Barstools Set by Joe Colombo for Zanotta, c. 1971, SignedBy ICF New York, Zanotta, Joe ColomboLocated in Los Angeles, CAA rare collectors set of five (5) 'Birillo' bar-height barstools designed in 1971 by Joe Colombo for Zanotta, Italy, retailed by ICF New York. Signed underneath with Zanotta embossed logo and design information on each chair and ICF New York retailer labels on some of the chairs. These examples are original early year productions and ideal for collectors and modern art and design investors. These examples feature red vintage patent leatherette upholstery and white fiberglass bases. It's very hard to find a single Birillo stool let alone find a matched set of five bar-height barstools. If you are looking for a large set of modern bar height barstools, don't hesitate because once these are gone it will be a difficult opportunity to replicate. This early Post-Modern quintessential design is often misspelled 'Brillo' and even sometimes 'Brillio' but as seen documented in the 1978 Zanotta catalogue, the correct spelling is 'Birillo'. This set of five Joe Colombo Birillo...Category
Vintage 1970s Italian Modern StoolsMaterials
Steel, Chrome$19,300 Sale Price / set22% Off
- Vladimir Kagan Corkscrew Swivel Chairs for Directional in Bouclé, SignedBy Directional, Vladimir KaganLocated in Los Angeles, CANewly reupholstered in a soft and nubby light beige bouclé, these 'Corkscrew' swivel chairs, also often referred to as 'Nautilus', by Vladimir Kagan for Directional, circa 1980s / 90s are signed with Directional labels underneath. These classic Post-Modern club chairs swivel...Category
Vintage 1980s American Post-Modern Swivel ChairsMaterials
- Arne Jacobsen, "Egg" Lounge Chairs, Black Leather, Fritz Hansen, Denmark, 1958By Fritz Hansen, Arne JacobsenLocated in West Palm Beach, FLA pair of "Egg" swiveling lounge chairs designed and executed for the SAS Royal Hotel, Copenhagen, 1958. Produced by Fritz Hansen c. 1960s. In chromium-plated metal, black-dyed leather. Provenance: Estate of Russ Meyer...Category
Vintage 1950s Danish Mid-Century Modern Lounge ChairsMaterials
- 1974 Original Brown Leather Arne Jacobsen for Fritz Hansen Egg Chair & OttomanBy Fritz Hansen, Arne JacobsenLocated in Chattanooga, TNYes, this is the original leather from birth in 1974. Miraculously bereft of any significant visible flaws lo these many years, this leather will make you salivate. The color changes...Category
Vintage 1970s Danish Mid-Century Modern Lounge ChairsMaterials
Chrome$14,360 Sale Price / set20% Off
- Pair of 1st Edition Arne Jacobsen Egg Chairs, circa 1959, Fritz HansenBy Arne Jacobsen, Fritz HansenLocated in Handewitt, DEPair of early production Arne Jacobsen Egg chairs. Designed in 1958 for the SAS Royal Hotel Copenhagen. This is the first model, without seat cushions. Produced by Fritz Hansen circa...Category
Mid-20th Century Danish Mid-Century Modern Lounge ChairsMaterials
- Early Egg Chair by Arne Jacobsen for Fritz HansenBy Fritz Hansen, Arne JacobsenLocated in Southampton, NJA 1960s Egg Swivel Chair designed in 1958 by Arne Jacobsen for the SAS Royal Hotel in Copenhagen. This example was produced in the 1960s and has stayed with its original owner who un...Category
Mid-20th Century Danish Scandinavian Modern Swivel ChairsMaterials
Aluminum$2,800 Sale Price20% Off
- Swan Chair by Arne Jacobsen for Fritz Hansen, Denmark, 1958By Fritz Hansen, Arne JacobsenLocated in Ranst, VANBeautiful Swan chair, designed by Arne Jacobsen. He designed this chair for the SAS Royal hotel in Copenhagen in 1958 and is produced by Fritz Hansen. The swivel chair has a washed b...Category
Mid-20th Century Danish Modern Swivel ChairsMaterials
- Arne Jacobsen Egg Chair 1st Edition 1958/60 Original Leather Fritz HansenBy Arne JacobsenLocated in Forest, BE1st Edition of the Egg chair Arne Jacobsen designed for the Royal Hotel SAS in Copenhagen and completed in 1958. The very 1st ones have no ...Category
Vintage 1950s Danish Scandinavian Modern Lounge ChairsMaterials
Recently ViewedView More
The 16 Most Popular Mid-Century Modern Chairs
You know the designs, now get the stories about to how they came to be.
Arne Jacobsen’s Egg Chair Scrambled the Idea of What a Wingback Could Be
The curvaceous Egg was designed to cradle the body and offer privacy. Later, it became the seat of choice for bosses in movies, too.
The 1stDibs PromiseLearn More
Expertly Vetted Sellers
Confidence at Checkout
Trusted Global Delivery