Arne Norell Safari Lounge Chair for Scanform
About the Item
- Dimensions:Height: 28.25 in (71.76 cm)Width: 26 in (66.04 cm)Depth: 26.25 in (66.68 cm)Seat Height: 15 in (38.1 cm)
- Style:Scandinavian Modern (Of the Period)
- Materials and Techniques:
- Place of Origin:
- Date of Manufacture:1966
- Condition:Wear consistent with age and use. Excellent vintage condition; frame professionally cleaned and oiled, leather professionally cleaned and conditioned.
- Seller Location:Los Angeles, CA
- Reference Number:1stDibs: LU1645233914282
Arne Norell’s enduring designs mixed leather and metal as well as turned wood and bentwood in pieces that allowed the natural beauty of these materials to shine. Simple and casual yet sophisticated, his vintage sofas, lounge chairs and other furniture epitomize the Scandinavian modern style that took post–World War II design by storm.
Although he created versatile furnishings that promoted comfort along with style, Norell is lesser known than many other mid-century designers, with some of his work produced only after his death. Born in Åsele, Sweden, Norell opened a furniture workshop in Solna, just north of Stockholm, in 1954. In 1958, he established Møbel AB Arne Norell on a farm in Småland. (This region is also the birthplace of IKEA, which opened its first store that same year.) The beauty and tranquility of this location were a source of inspiration.
In Småland, Norell created his most well-known designs, among them the Inca armchair with visible wooden dowels and plush leather, the Indra and Ilona sofas and the spare but elegant wood-framed Sirocco chair (1964). For many of his designs, Norell looked to the same military-style campaign furniture that had, decades prior, inspired the revered Safari chair (1933) crafted by Kaare Klint, a legendary Danish designer and Royal Danish Academy of Fine Arts professor who taught the likes of Hans Wegner, Ole Wanscher and others.
Like these earlier furniture designers, Norell was committed to making comfortable and practical furniture. Using leather and warm woods as the building blocks of his work, he eschewed glue and screws, instead securing his designs with buckles and leather straps. In 1973, Norell earned posthumous recognition from the British Furniture Manufacturers Association for his sumptuous Ari chair, a luxurious lounge set on a chrome-plated steel frame with foam cushions covered in leather.
During his lifetime, Norell’s work was popular among European interior designers. However, it became more widely known after 1971, when many of his designs were finally put into production. Norell’s furnishings, as well as work by his daughter Marie Norell-Möller and other Swedish designers, are still crafted by hand in the Aneby, Sweden, factory operated by Norell Furniture, which has remained a family-run company.
Find a collection of authentic vintage Arne Norell furniture today on 1stDibs.
- ShippingRetrieving quote...Ships From: Los Angeles, CA
- Return Policy
This item cannot be returned.
- Arne Tidemand-Ruud "Holmenkollen" Lounge Chair for NorcraftBy Arne Tidemand Ruud, NorcraftLocated in Los Angeles, CADesigned in the 1950s by Arne Tidemand-Ruud for Norwegian company Norcraft. The solid teak frame is wrapped with a black leather sling seat. The lounge chair is adjustable to recline...Category
Vintage 1950s Norwegian Scandinavian Modern ArmchairsMaterials
- Lounge Chair with Ottoman by Ib Madsen for Madsen & SchübellBy Ib Madsen, Ib Madsen and Acton SchubellLocated in Los Angeles, CALounge chair with ottoman by Ib Madsen for Madsen & Schübell, Denmark, circa 1950s. The chair and ottoman retain original black leather upholstery and feature multiple settings for c...Category
Vintage 1950s Danish Scandinavian Modern Lounge ChairsMaterials
- Pair of Otto Zapf Lounge Chairs for KnollBy Otto Zapf, KnollLocated in Los Angeles, CAPair of leather lounge chairs by Otto Zapf for Knoll International, c.1990s, USA. The plush lounge chairs feature original deep camel leather uphols...Category
Late 20th Century American Post-Modern Lounge ChairsMaterials
- Miles Karpilow Studio Craft Leather Lounge ChairBy Miles KarpilowLocated in Los Angeles, CAStudio Craft lounge chair by master craftsman, John Karpilow circa .1960, USA. The Bay Area artisan created this impressive piece known as the "Osborne" chair which features a leathe...Category
Mid-20th Century American Mid-Century Modern Lounge ChairsMaterials
- Jorgen Baekmark Lounge Chair for FDB MøblerBy FDB MøblerLocated in Los Angeles, CAOak frame lounge chair by Jorgen Baekmark for FDB Møbler c.1960s, Denmark. The Model J82 chair has a wide, curved spindle backrest and a spindle detail at the armrests. The chair fea...Category
Mid-20th Century Danish Scandinavian Modern Lounge ChairsMaterials
- Clara Porset Style Butaque ChairBy Michael van Beuren, Clara Porset, Michael Van BurenLocated in Los Angeles, CAClara Porset style butaque chair c.1970s, Mexico. The lounge chair features a curvaceous solid mahogany frame with the original brown saddle leather slin...Category
Vintage 1970s Mexican Mid-Century Modern Lounge ChairsMaterials
- Arne Norell Sirocco Safari Chairs by Norells in SwedenBy Norells, Arne NorellLocated in Skanninge, SEThese chairs are being sold as pairs. The stated price is for one pair of chairs. Four pairs (eight chairs) are available. Wonderful condition on all eight chairs. They are as good...Category
Mid-20th Century Swedish Mid-Century Modern Lounge ChairsMaterials
- Pair of Sirocco Armchairs by Arne Norell for Scanform Colombia 1960sBy Scanform, Arne NorellLocated in Benalmadena, ESFantastic pair of Sirocco armchairs in rosewood and black leather designed by Arne Norell in the 1960s, in its rarest version and sought after by coll...Category
Vintage 1960s Mid-Century Modern ArmchairsMaterials
Leather, Wood, Palisander
- Midcentury Sirocco Safari Chairs Styled After Arne NorellBy Arne NorellLocated in North Hollywood, CAMidcentury sirocco safari chair by Arne Norell, this beautiful set of chairs features a strong solid ash-wood frame that gives an excellent color tone and a beautiful grain pattern c...Category
Late 20th Century American Mid-Century Modern Lounge ChairsMaterials
Fabric, Canvas, Ash
- Black Leather Safari Sling Chair in the style of Arne Norell for Norells ABBy Arne Norell, Norell Möbel ABLocated in TORONTO, CAStunning safari chair in black leather. Overall in great vintage condition with some minor wear and slight markings on patinaed leather. Joints are friction fit and are able to flat ...Category
Vintage 1960s Swedish Mid-Century Modern Lounge ChairsMaterials
- Midcentury Swedish Lounge Chairs "Löven" by Arne NorellBy Norell Möbel AB, Arne NorellLocated in Karlstad, SEPair of lounge chairs model "Löven" by Arne Norell, 1960s. These chairs have a timeless classic design and, as with all Norell furniture, the construction quality is extremely high....Category
20th Century Swedish Scandinavian Modern Lounge ChairsMaterials
- Midcentury Swedish Lounge Chairs "Löven" by Arne NorellBy Norell Möbel AB, Arne NorellLocated in Karlstad, SEA lounge chair model "Löven" by Arne Norell, 1960s. This chair has a timeless classic design and, as with all Norell furniture, the construction quality is extremely high. The frame...Category
20th Century Swedish Scandinavian Modern Lounge ChairsMaterials
Recently ViewedView All
The 1stDibs PromiseLearn More
Expertly Vetted Sellers
Confidence at Checkout
Trusted Global Delivery