Hans J. Wegner Danish 1940s Leather and Oak Model A721 Executive Chair
About the Item
- Creator:Hans J. Wegner (Designer)
- Dimensions:Height: 35.44 in (90 cm)Width: 24.41 in (62 cm)Depth: 23.63 in (60 cm)Seat Height: 18.12 in (46 cm)
- Style:Mid-Century Modern (Of the Period)
- Materials and Techniques:
- Place of Origin:
- Date of Manufacture:1940
- Condition:Wear consistent with age and use.
- Seller Location:Highclere, GB
- Reference Number:Seller: HW A7211stDibs: LU4278230486182
Hans J. Wegner
Best known for his chairs and seating pieces — though a master of many furniture types like sofas and tables — Hans Wegner was a prolific designer whose elegant, often ebullient, forms and devotion to the finest methods in joinery made "Danish Modern" a popular byword for stylish, well-made furniture in the mid-20th century.
Wegner considered himself a carpenter first and a furniture designer second. Like his peers Arne Jacobsen and Finn Juhl, Wegner believed that striking aesthetics in furniture were based on a foundation of practicality: a chair must be comfortable and sturdy before it is chic.
In keeping with that tenet, several of Wegner’s best chair designs, seen in dealer listings below, have their roots in traditional seating forms. The Peacock chair (designed in 1947) is a throne-like adaptation of the Windsor chair; pieces from the China chair series (begun in 1944) as well as the 1949 Wishbone chair, with its distinctive Y-shaped back splat, are derived from 17th-century Ming seating pieces, as is the upholstered Ox chair (1960). Wegner’s comfy Papa Bear chair (1951) is an almost surreally re-scaled English wingback chair.
Wegner’s most representative piece, the Round chair (1949), gained a footnote in political history when it was used on the TV stage of the first Kennedy-Nixon debate of 1960. That chair, along with Wegner’s more bravura designs, for example the 1963 Shell chair, with its curved surfboard-shaped seat, bring a quietly sculptural presence to a room. Wegner was a designer who revered his primary material — wood — and it shows. His wood gathers patina and character with age; every Hans Wegner piece testifies to the life it has led.
- ShippingRetrieving quote...Ships From: Highclere, United Kingdom
- Return PolicyA return for this item may be initiated within 14 days of delivery.
- Lounge Chairs - Safari style Danish Midcentury chairs by Børge Jensen & SønnerBy Borge JensenLocated in Highclere, NewburyA very rare pair of Danish midcentury Børge Jensen & Sønner ‘Safari’ lounge chairs in canvas and beech. First designed and produced in the mid-1960s these chairs are a development b...Category
Vintage 1960s Danish Mid-Century Modern Lounge ChairsMaterials
Leather, Canvas, Beech
- Marcel Breuer Vintage B35 Leather and Chrome Cantilever Armchair and FootstoolBy Marcel Breuer, ThonetLocated in Highclere, NewburyAn early 20th century designed lounge chair set by Marcel Breuer featuring a cantilever chrome and tan leather lounge chair with matching footstool. Marcel Breuer was one of the key architects and designers of the 20th century and one of the most influential exponents of modernist design having both studied and taught at the Bauhaus school of design. He is credited with creating the first chrome tube...Category
Vintage 1920s German Bauhaus Lounge ChairsMaterials
- 4 vintage Eero Saarininen Knoll Inc. Executive armchairs with an oak frame baseBy Knoll, Eero SaarinenLocated in Highclere, NewburyA classic set of 4 vintage Eero Saarininen Knoll Inc. executive armchairs in the original Knoll blue fabric with an oak frame base. The Eero Saarinen Executive armchair was featured in nearly every Florence Knoll Mid Century interior throughout the 1950s and beyond. Originally introduced in 1950, the chair transformed the notion of what executive seating could be with its fluid, sculptural form and modern finishing. The timeless and versatile design continues to fit seamlessly into work, conference, lounge and dining applications of any décor. The chair remains as one of the most popular Knoll designs ever with new versions of the armchair, as shown here, in fabric with the wooden light oak base retailing at around £2,000 per chair. And it’s the wooden legs that add to their appeal and was ultimately a big improvement on the original tubular steel frame. They are just warmer and more welcoming, as well as being more aesthetically pleasing. As such the chairs are more often used these days as dining chairs rather than in the office. The chairs are also supremely comfortable and are upholstered in a classic Knoll wool fabric that has different subtle colour flecks within the fabric and that also features a slightly darker colour in the seat. This is an intentional design aesthetic as it helps to maintain the condition and look of the seat with heavier use. They date from the 1990s and remain in very good vintage condition with only light signs of use. This item is sold as a set of 4 chairs but the chairs are also available as a complete dining set matched with a Florence Knoll Walnut table...Category
1990s American Mid-Century Modern Dining Room ChairsMaterials
- Danish Midcentury Børge Mogensen 4 Seater Oak Bench Sofa and Two ArmchairsBy Børge Mogensen, FredericiaLocated in Highclere, NewburyA Danish midcentury 1950s oak and blue fabric lounge set featuring a 4 seater model 2219 bench sofa and two 2257 armchairs by Børge Mogensen for Fredricia Stolefabrik. Designed a...Category
Vintage 1950s Danish Mid-Century Modern Living Room SetsMaterials
- 8 Danish Mid Century Arne Hovmand Olsen Teak and Fabric Dining ChairsBy Arne Hovmand-OlsenLocated in Highclere, NewburyA set of eight mid century dark stained teak and fabric rail back dining chairs designed by Arne Hovmand Olsen and produced by Mogens Kold. These Olsen chairs are a classic desig...Category
Mid-20th Century Danish Mid-Century Modern Dining Room ChairsMaterials
- 6 Sigvard Bernadotte H-line chairs in brushed steel, Walnut and leatherBy France & Søn, Sigvard BernadotteLocated in Highclere, NewburyA rare complete set of 6 Sigvard Bernadotte H-line Danish armchairs in dark burgundy leather with brushed steel frames and solid Walnut arms for France & Son. Designed in the 1960s...Category
Vintage 1960s Danish Mid-Century Modern Dining Room ChairsMaterials
- Early Desk Chair Model A721 by Hans Wegner, 1940sBy Hans J. WegnerLocated in Birmingham, ALA rare and early design in oak with swivel and tilt function by Hans Wegner. Seat and back in carmel leather. Designed in 1940s. This example manufactured 1940s-1950s by Planmobel.Category
Vintage 1940s Danish Mid-Century Modern Office Chairs and Desk ChairsMaterials
- Hans Wegner Round Chair of Oak and Patinated Cognac LeatherBy Johannes Hansen, Hans J. WegnerLocated in London, GBThis chair is a excellent vintage example of Wegner's round chair made of oak. The label places it as made before 1970. The leather on the seat shows some peeling, wear and tear ...Category
Vintage 1960s Danish Scandinavian Modern ArmchairsMaterials
- Hans Wegner Armchair Model JH-501 by Johannes Hansen in DenmarkBy Hans J. WegnerLocated in Limhamn, Skåne länRare armchair model JH-501 / the chair designed by Hans Wegner. Produced by Johannes Hansen in Denmark.Category
Vintage 1950s Danish Scandinavian Modern ArmchairsMaterials
- Classic Hans Wegner Round ChairBy Hans J. Wegner, Johannes HansenLocated in New York, NYSleek, sophisticated and architectural, wraparound armchair in solid rosewood, designed by Hans Wegner made by Johannes Hansen The chair has a solid rosewood frame, drop in upholstered seat, and wrapped cane backrest. The frame looks like it has a later, but not new, clear lacquered overcoat, the fabric seat shows cosmetic wear, normal and consistent with age. Measures: Total H 29.5 x arm H 27.5 x seat H 17 inches. Know as the Round Chair...Category
Mid-20th Century Danish Scandinavian Modern ArmchairsMaterials
- Hans J. Wegner Chinese Chair of Rosewood for Fritz HansenBy Hans J. Wegner, Fritz HansenLocated in Copenhagen, DKHans J. Wegner Chinese chair of rosewood. Loose seat cushion upholstered with leather, fitted with buttons. Executed by Fritz Hansen. Reverse with paper label Fritz Hansen, DENMAR...Category
Mid-20th Century Danish Scandinavian Modern ArmchairsMaterials
Recently ViewedView All
Design Icon Ilse Crawford on Her Colorful New Hans Wegner Chairs
If anyone is brave, humble and adept enough to recolor these mid-century masterpieces, it’s Ilse Crawford. Here, she gives us the details on her five earthy paint choices and tells us how she feels about design collaborations.
The 16 Most Popular Mid-Century Modern Chairs
You know the designs, now get the stories about to how they came to be.