Mid Century Modern Vintage Aluminum Office Desk Chair Ray & Charles Eames 1958
About the Item
- Creator:Charles and Ray Eames (Designer)
- Dimensions:Height: 38.98 in (99 cm)Width: 25.01 in (63.5 cm)Depth: 27.96 in (71 cm)Seat Height: 14.57 in (37 cm)
- Style:Mid-Century Modern (Of the Period)
- Materials and Techniques:
- Date of Manufacture:1950s
- Condition:Wear consistent with age and use. Very good vintage condition with minor signs of age and use.
- Seller Location:Vienna, AT
- Reference Number:1stDibs: LU106985117563
Charles and Ray Eames
Charles Eames and Ray Eames were the embodiment of the inventiveness, energy and optimism at the heart of mid-century modern American design, and have been recognized as the most influential designers of the 20th century.
As furniture designers, filmmakers, artists, textile and graphic designers and even toy and puzzle makers, the Eameses were a visionary and effective force for the notion that design should be an agent of positive change. They are the happy, ever-curious, ever-adventurous faces of modernism.
Charles (1907–78) studied architecture and industrial design. Ray (née Beatrice Alexandra Kaiser, 1912–88) was an artist, who studied under the Abstract Expressionist painter Hans Hofmann. They met in 1940 at the Cranbrook Academy of Art in suburban Detroit (the legendary institution where Charles also met his frequent collaborator Eero Saarinen and the artist and designer Harry Bertoia) and married the next year.
His technical skills and her artistic flair were wonderfully complementary. They moved to Los Angeles in 1941, where Charles worked on set design for MGM. In the evenings at their apartment, they experimented with molded plywood using a handmade heat-and-pressurization device they called the “Kazam!” machine. The next year, they won a contract from the U.S. Navy for lightweight plywood leg splints for wounded servicemen — they are coveted collectibles today; more so those that Ray used to make sculptures.
The Navy contract allowed Charles to open a professional studio, and the attention-grabbing plywood furniture the firm produced prompted George Nelson, the director of design of the furniture-maker Herman Miller Inc., to enlist Charles and (by association, if not by contract) Ray in 1946. Some of the first Eames items to emerge from Herman Miller are now classics: the LCW, or Lounge Chair Wood, and the DCM, or Dining Chair Metal, supported by tubular steel.
The Eameses eagerly embraced new technology and materials, and one of their peculiar talents was to imbue their supremely modern design with references to folk traditions. Their Wire chair group of the 1950s, for example, was inspired by basket weaving techniques. The populist notion of “good design for all” drove their molded fiberglass chair series that same decade, and also produced the organic-form, ever-delightful La Chaise. In 1956 the Eames lounge chair and ottoman appeared — the supremely comfortable plywood-base-and-leather-upholstery creation that will likely live in homes as long as there are people with good taste and sense.
Charles Eames once said, “The role of the designer is that of a very good, thoughtful host anticipating the needs of his guests.” For very good collectors and thoughtful interior designers, a piece of design by the Eameses, the closer produced to original conception the better, is almost de rigueur — for its beauty and comfort, and not least as a tribute to the creative legacy and enduring influence of Charles and Ray Eames.
The collection of original Eames furniture on 1stDibs includes chairs, tables, case pieces and other items.
Shipping & Returns
- ShippingRetrieving quote...Ships From: Vienna, Austria
- Return Policy
A return for this item may be initiated within 3 days of delivery.
- Mid Century Modern Vintage Black Office Chair by Arne Jacobsen 1950s, DenmarkBy Arne JacobsenLocated in Vienna, ATMid century modern vintage black swivel office chair, which is an early model, designed by Arne Jacobsen, 1950s, Denmark and executed by Fritz Hansen. The swivel chairs is labeled FH...Category
Mid-20th Century Danish Mid-Century Modern Office Chairs and Desk ChairsMaterials
- Mid Century Modern Blue Aluminum Vintage Chair Side Chair Vaghi circa 1960 ItalyLocated in Vienna, ATMid Century Modern vintage chair or side chair or office chair from aluminum by Vaghi circa 1960 Italy. The chair consists of aluminum frame, whi...Category
Vintage 1960s Italian Mid-Century Modern ChairsMaterials
- Mid-Century Modern Green Oswald Haerdtl Office Chair Side Chair Beech, 1950sBy Oswald HaerdtlLocated in Vienna, ATMid-Century Modern side chair or office chair from beech with upholstery in green textile fabric 1950s Vienna. A beautiful side chair or chair design at...Category
Mid-20th Century Austrian Mid-Century Modern ChairsMaterials
Fabric, Beech, Walnut
- Mid-Century Modern Black Faux Leather Vintage Desk Chair Egon Eiermann, 1950sBy Egon EiermannLocated in Vienna, ATMid Century Modern vintage desk chair designed by Egon Eiermann. The desk chair features a chromed metal base with 4 wheels. Also the seat and back,...Category
Vintage 1950s German Mid-Century Modern Office Chairs and Desk ChairsMaterials
- Mid-Century Modern Black Vintage Desk Chair Style Egon Eiermann 1950s GermanyBy Egon EiermannLocated in Vienna, ATMid-Century Modern vintage black desk chair of office chair or swivel chair, which was designed in the style of Egon Eiermann, Germany 1950s. The swiveling desk chair is adjustable f...Category
Mid-20th Century German Mid-Century Modern Office Chairs and Desk ChairsMaterials
- Mid Century Modern Orange Vintage Dining Chairs Charles Ray Eames Chairs 1950sLocated in Vienna, ATMid century modern orange original vintage set of 4 dining chairs by Charles and Ray Eames 1950s. The dining chair model name is Model DSS - N, which was d...Category
Vintage 1950s American Mid-Century Modern ChairsMaterials
- 1958, Ray & Charles Eames, Herman Miller, PSCC Fiberglass Office Desk ChairBy Herman Miller, Charles and Ray EamesLocated in Amsterdam IJMuiden, NLThis chair is part of the private collection of Casey Godrie and is situated in his private house. Ask him for competitive shipping quotes. His incredible Dune Villa, Amsterdam Beac...Category
Vintage 1950s American Mid-Century Modern Office Chairs and Desk ChairsMaterials
- Charles Eames Aluminum Group High Back Desk Chair, Herman Miller / Mid CenturyBy Herman Miller, Charles EamesLocated in Buffalo, NYNice early Eames aluminum group tilt/ swivel desk chair on castors. Classic Mid-Century Modernist design .Seldom seen "ocrhe" color wool, early ...Category
Vintage 1970s American Mid-Century Modern Office Chairs and Desk ChairsMaterials
- White Office Chair by Charles & Ray Eames for Herman Miller 1970sBy ICF Milano 1, Charles and Ray EamesLocated in Lasne, BECanvas armchair with aluminium base and castors. Stamped under the seat ICF. Height and tilt adjustable. Turns on itself. Wear due to time and age. Maximum height: 109 cm. Seat heigh...Category
Vintage 1970s Italian Mid-Century Modern Office Chairs and Desk ChairsMaterials
- Pair of Stamped Herman Miller Mid-Century Modern Desk / Office Chairs, AluminumBy Herman MillerLocated in Stamford, CTMiller Eames Model EA 435 executive chair aluminum group black leather soft pad. Herman Miller Eames model EA 435 aluminum group black leather soft pad executive chair...Category
1990s American Modern Office Chairs and Desk ChairsMaterials
- Aluminum Chairs by Charles & Ray Eames for Vitra, USA, 1958By Vitra, Charles and Ray EamesLocated in Antwerp, BEAluminum Chair; Charles & Ray Eames; Vitra; 1958; Office Chair; Leather; Chrome; Brown; The Aluminum Group; USA; Eames; Aluminum chair designed by Charles & Ray Eames and manufac...Category
Vintage 1950s American Mid-Century Modern Swivel ChairsMaterials
- Aluminum Chairs by Charles & Ray Eames for Vitra, USA, 1958By Vitra, Charles and Ray EamesLocated in Antwerp, BEAluminum Chair; Charles & Ray Eames; Vitra; 1958; Office Chair; Leather; Chrome; Brown; The Aluminum Group; USA; Aluminum chair designed by Charles & Ray Eames and manufactured by ...Category
Vintage 1950s American Mid-Century Modern Office Chairs and Desk ChairsMaterials
Recently ViewedView More
A Guide to Herman Miller’s Most Iconic Furniture
The prolific manufacturer has partnered with many of the world’s top designers since opening its doors in 1923. Here are some of the company’s greatest hits, which helped transform the American home and office.
The 16 Most Popular Mid-Century Modern Chairs
You know the designs, now get the stories about to how they came to be.
The 1stDibs PromiseLearn More
Expertly Vetted Sellers
Confidence at Checkout
Trusted Global Delivery