Baker Furniture Milling Road Settee
View Similar Items
Baker Furniture Milling Road Settee
- Creator:Baker Furniture Company (Manufacturer)
- Dimensions:Height: 36 in (91.44 cm)Width: 42 in (106.68 cm)Depth: 25 in (63.5 cm)Seat Height: 20 in (50.8 cm)
- Materials and Techniques:
- Place of Origin:
- Date of Manufacture:Late 20th Century
- Condition:Wear consistent with age and use.
- Seller Location:West Hartford, CT
- Reference Number:1stDibs: LU3072326983612
About the Manufacturer
Baker Furniture Company
Owing to the company’s collaborations with many leading designers and artists over time, vintage Baker furniture is consistently sought after today. The heritage brand’s chairs, dining tables, desks and other pieces are widely known to collectors and design enthusiasts for their fine craftsmanship and durability.
Within a few decades of its launch, Baker Furniture Company evolved into one of the largest and most important furniture manufacturers in the United States, and became known for its high-quality production standards. Siebe Baker and business partner Henry Cook founded the original iteration of Baker Furniture Company in 1890 in Allegan, Michigan, after immigrating to the United States from the Netherlands. Allegan is a small town west of Grand Rapids, which, at that time was home to Widdicomb Furniture Co. and more and was known as America’s furniture capital. The company manufactured doors and interior moldings, and introduced a combination desk and bookcase in 1893. In the early 1900s, Siebe became sole owner of the business.
Among others, stage designer Joseph Urban and modernist designer Kem Weber contributed designs to Baker in the 1920s. In 1932, under the leadership of Siebe’s son, Hollis, who started at the company as a salesman but took the reins when his father passed in 1925, Baker Furniture introduced bedroom pieces and debuted its Manor House collection, which made reproductions of European furnishings available to the American market. (Hollis was an avid traveler and procured antiques overseas for the company to reproduce in the United States.) Soon, Baker Furniture Company moved to Holland, Michigan, and eventually opened showrooms in Grand Rapids and elsewhere.
Pioneering Scandinavian designer Finn Juhl created a Danish modern line for Baker in 1951, and the company produced his award-winning Chieftain chair for a short time. In the late 1950s, Baker introduced the Milling Road label to reach a younger audience with stylish but less costly furnishings like console tables, walnut dining chairs and more, and in 1961, British furniture designer T.H. Robsjohn-Gibbings introduced a modern neoclassical line at Baker.
The 1960s and ’70s saw the introduction of historic reproduction furniture lines such as Woburn Abbey and the Historic Charleston collection, which remain very popular to this day. In 1990, Baker was licensed to produce a furniture line from Colonial Williamsburg. That same year, the Smithsonian Museum introduced Baker’s Chippendale chair into its permanent collection and the Grand Rapids Art Museum dedicated an exhibition to Baker’s 100-year anniversary, a showcase that included 150 pieces of furniture Siebe Baker had collected as part of a larger assortment that had served as inspiration for his designs.
Today, vintage Baker furniture, such as its elegant mahogany nightstands and teak credenzas — particularly those crafted by Finn Juhl — sees high demand online and elsewhere. The company continues to produce contemporary collections with well-known designers such as Bill Sofield, Barbara Barry and Kara Mann and remains on par with some of the highest quality furniture in the industry.
- Vintage French Style Carved Mahogany Upholstered SetteeLocated in West Hartford, CTCrafted with the utmost attention to detail, this piece effortlessly captures the essence of classic charm. The carved mahogany frame showcases exquisite craftsmanship, while the pl...Category
Mid-20th Century SetteesMaterials
- Vintage Caned Tufted Upholstered Settee Loveseat ChesterfieldLocated in West Hartford, CTThis settee combines the classic beauty of caned sides with tufted gold velvet upholstery. The intricate caning, which is perfect, adds an air of elegance. The fabric is original a...Category
Vintage 1960s SetteesMaterials
Fabric, Textile, Cane, Wood
- Diminutive Antique French Louis XV Carved Red SetteeLocated in West Hartford, CTLovely French carved settee with red upholstery with a loose seat cushion.Category
Mid-20th Century French Louis XV SetteesMaterials
Fabric, Textile, Fruitwood
- French Empire Mahogany & Bronze Ormolu Mounted Figural Settee Bench Napoleon IIILocated in West Hartford, CTCoveted French Empire settee, circa late 19th century, that has been updated with brand new upholstery. Features ormolu mounts and gorgeous mahogany wood. The mounts include sphinxes...Category
Antique Late 19th Century French Napoleon III SetteesMaterials
- Set of Three Baker Furniture Mahogany Faux Bamboo Nesting TablesBy Baker Furniture CompanyLocated in West Hartford, CTSet of 3 Baker Mahogany Nesting Tables crafted from rich mahogany wood, these tables exude sophistication and elegance. The nesting design offers versatility and space-saving conveni...Category
Late 20th Century American Nesting Tables and Stacking TablesMaterials
- Baker Furniture Nine Drawer Mahogany & Brass Dresser Chest of DrawersBy Baker Furniture CompanyLocated in West Hartford, CTMagnificent tall and large nine drawer Baker Furniture gentleman's chest of drawers done in the finest mahogany and brass. All original. Note the dimensions, this piece stands almo...Category
Late 20th Century American DressersMaterials
- Milling Road Baker Furniture Upholstered BenchBy Baker Furniture CompanyLocated in Brooklyn, NYMilling Road 20th century bench with hardwood frame and upholstered seat and sides. Versatile design style that can easily compliment either home or office environment. Please confir...Category
Late 20th Century American Modern BenchesMaterials
Wood$1,120 Sale Price30% Off
- Midcentury Baker Furniture Regency Style Black Lacquered Frame SetteeBy Baker Furniture CompanyLocated in Parkesburg, PAMidcentury Baker Furniture Regency Style black lacquered frame settee. Serpentined Lumbar Style Backrest with Caning in the Center. Rolled ...Category
Mid-20th Century Regency SetteesMaterials
Cane, Paint, Wood
- Baker Bombe Rattan SetteeBy Baker Furniture CompanyLocated in Chicago, ILBaker takes some design cues from the 1970s with this bombe rattan settee. Reeded frame that bows out in the middle is washed in white primer and lavender lacquer. Two-seat cushions, four back cushions, all upholstered in a vintage cream, taupe and gray geometric upholstery. Possibly from the Linea Cara collection designed for Baker by Karl Rausch.Category
Vintage 1980s American SetteesMaterials
Lacquer, Rattan, Upholstery
- Baker double caned chinoiserie style setteeBy Baker Furniture CompanyLocated in Chicago, ILA Baker double caned chinoiserie style settee with cushion and pillowCategory
Late 20th Century American SetteesMaterials
Fabric, Cane, Wood
- Pair Armless Petite Settees / Loveseats / Chair and a Half by BakerBy Baker Furniture CompanyLocated in Kansas City, MOPair of armless seating units by Baker. Cherry wood backs and original upholstery all in very good condition. Use these separate or together as a sofa....Category
Vintage 1980s American Hollywood Regency SetteesMaterials
- Baker Milling Road Italian Upholstered BenchBy Baker Furniture CompanyLocated in Lake Worth, FLOffering one of our recent palm beach estate fine furniture acquisitions of A Lovely Baker Italian Style Upholstered Bench. Approximate Measurements in Inches 56 1/2" wide at a...Category
Vintage 1980s Unknown BenchesMaterials
Cotton, Wood$716 Sale Price20% Off
Recently ViewedView All
The 1stDibs PromiseLearn More
Expertly Vetted Sellers
Confidence at Checkout
Trusted Global Delivery