Vintage Asian Style Raymond Sobota for Century Furniture Tomei Sofa
About the Item
- Creator:Century Furniture (Manufacturer)
- Dimensions:Height: 27 in (68.58 cm)Width: 88 in (223.52 cm)Depth: 34 in (86.36 cm)Seat Height: 17 in (43.18 cm)
- Style:Mid-Century Modern (In the Style Of)
- Materials and Techniques:
- Place of Origin:
- Date of Manufacture:1970
- Condition:Wear consistent with age and use. Good vintage condition Please be aware that most of the items are vintage/antique and may have small defects or signs of age. However, we strive to provide clear and honest descriptions and photographs for every item. Please contact us for anything.
- Seller Location:Chicago, IL
- Reference Number:1stDibs: LU6791234240822
Known for its durable vintage display cabinets, nightstands and dressers made of cherry, oak, walnut and more, Century Furniture of Hickory, North Carolina, began as an upholstered goods company in 1947 but added case goods and sophisticated mahogany dining-room furnishings shortly thereafter.
Launched by Harley Ferguson Shuford Sr., a Hickory native who was born to a family of textile mill owners, Century Furniture was intended to be “the best furniture company in the world.” With respect to speed and efficiency, the brand found its footing midway through production on a government contract that Shuford had secured in the early days to manufacture thousands of five-drawer chests. The effort was significant, but it was also a teachable moment as far as Shuford and his team’s learning the ropes of running a factory.
After hiring designer Raymond K. Sobota in 1950 and introducing the enormously popular Citation Collection in 1954, Century established its reputation as a leader in stylishly designed high-quality furniture. Sobota had furniture in his blood — after graduating from Kendall College of Art & Design in Grand Rapids, Michigan, he worked for his uncle Karl Schmidt, who was at the time a well-known furniture designer for Berkey and Gay and other makers in the Grand Rapids area, then known as America’s furniture capital. Sobota soon launched his own studio, designing furniture as a freelancer for various local manufacturers. Shuford found him by happenstance, journeying to Michigan’s second-largest city to offer a job to another designer who turned him down but recommended Sobota instead.
Century’s Citation line — a sizable collection for the brand that spanned furnishings for the bedroom, dining room and more — is revered in the world of vintage mid-century modern furniture collectors. The pieces sold very well during the 1950s, and the line is an oft-cited success story for Sobota, who would go on to win awards for his work and whose own catalogue of designs for the brand is massive.
In his 40-year career at Century, until he retired in 1995, he designed well over 100 furniture lines. Sobota’s nightstands, cabinets, side tables and more are characterized by his interest in Asian design, distinctly and brilliantly expressed in his Hollywood Regency–style Chin Hua line, which debuted during the 1970s. With its geometrically decorative brass drawer pulls and door handles as well as dining-chair seat-back carvings — all inspired by Asian motifs — this collection has rendered vintage pieces that saw Century’s craftsmen working with alluring ebonized walnut and more, some of the company’s most sought-after work today.
Also in the 1970s as well as in the 1980s, Manhattan interior designer Jay Spectre introduced an Art Deco–informed spirit at Century Furniture, creating oversize, inviting lounge chairs and bentwood benches that featured plush tufted leather cushions. Spectre’s Eclipse collection was at one point among the largest-selling lines for the brand.
Century licensed collections with celebrity interior designers such as Thomas O’Brien, Charlotte Moss and Bunny Williams among others. In 2013, when Alex Shuford III was named president of Century Furniture, the move marked the succession of the third generation to lead this company, which is today one of the world’s largest privately held manufacturers of high-end furniture.
- ShippingRetrieving quote...Ships From: Melrose Park, IL
- Return Policy
A return for this item may be initiated within 1 day of delivery.
- Chinoiserie Chin Hua Ebonized Dining Set by Raymond K. Sobota, 8 Piece SetBy Century Furniture, Raymond K. SobotaLocated in Chicago, ILHollywood Regency Chinoiserie Chin Hua Ebonized Dining Set By Raymond K. Sobota for Century Furniture - 8 Piece Set This gorgeous Asian Style dining set...Category
Vintage 1970s American Hollywood Regency Dining Room SetsMaterials
Fabric, Maple, Burl
- Vintage Mid-Century Modern Gio Ponte Style 3 Seat Velvet Sofa by Angelo DonghiaBy Angelo DonghiaLocated in Chicago, ILVintage Mid-Century Modern Gio Ponte Style 3 Seat Velvet Sofa By Angelo Donghia Mid-Century Modern geometric Gio Ponte "Burnt Red" Velvet 3 sea...Category
Vintage 1970s American Mid-Century Modern SofasMaterials
- Vintage Chesterfield Style Curved Back Black Leatherette SofaLocated in Chicago, ILVintage Chesterfield Style Curved Back Black Leatherette Sofa This amazing and sturdy 1950’s Curved Back Black Leatherette Chesterfield Style Sofa will be a speaking piece in any ro...Category
Vintage 1950s American Chesterfield SofasMaterials
- Vintage Mid Century Modern Karpen Sofa with Pullout BedBy Karpen & Bros.Located in Chicago, ILVintage Mid Century Modern Karpen Sofa with Pullout Bed Retro Chic Furniture Set with Newly Upholstered Cushions! Circa 1960 Dimensions: Sofa- H 26" W 1...Category
Vintage 1960s American Mid-Century Modern SofasMaterials
- Vintage Style Julep Curved Sofas in Grey Performance Velvet - Set of 2Located in Chicago, ILVintage Style Julep Curved Sofas in Grey Performance Velvet - Set of 2 Gorgeous Designed Vintage Style Set of Oversized Curved Arm Serpentine Front ...Category
2010s American Mid-Century Modern SofasMaterials
- Mid-Century Modern Milo Baughman Style Hexagonal Curved Sectional Sofa by DrexelBy DrexelLocated in Chicago, ILVintage Mid-Century Modern Milo Baughman style hexagonal curved sectional sofa by Drexel. Mid-Century Modern Milo Baughman style large hexagonal curved sectional sofa By Drexel He...Category
Vintage 1970s American Mid-Century Modern Sectional SofasMaterials
- Expertly Restored Century Furniture Tomei SofaBy Raymond Sabota, Century FurnitureLocated in Hartville, OHSpectacular Century Furniture Made Tomei Sofa, part of the highly sought after Chin Hua collection by Raymond Sobota, circa 1970s. Fresh from a complete overhaul from the Upholstery ...Category
Vintage 1970s American Chinoiserie SofasMaterials
- Modernist Regency Daybed Chin Hua Century Furniture by Raymond K. SobotaBy James Mont, Raymond K. Sobota, Century FurnitureLocated in Buffalo, NYModernist Regency daybed chin Hua century furniture by Raymond K. Sobota. Stunning carved wood Asian inspired base, retains original 1980s fabric, Unusua...Category
Vintage 1980s American Mid-Century Modern DaybedsMaterials
- Raymond Sobota for Century Furniture Hollywood Regency Chinoiserie Dining ChairsBy Raymond K. Sobota, Century FurnitureLocated in South Bend, INA gorgeous set of eight mid-century modern Hollywood Regency Chinoiserie dining chairs By Raymond Sobota for Century Furniture,...Category
Mid-20th Century American Mid-Century Modern Dining Room ChairsMaterials
Upholstery, Cane, Walnut
- English Style Roll Arm Sofa by Century FurnitureBy Century FurnitureLocated in Lake Worth, FLFor FULL item description be sure to click on CONTINUE READING at the bottom of this listing. Offering one of our recent palm beach estate fine furniture acquisitions of a phenomenal spotless camelback English rolled arm and rolled back sofa...Category
- 6 Chin Hua Dining Chairs in Black by Raymond K. Sobota for Century FurnitureBy Raymond K. Sobota, Century FurnitureLocated in Topeka, KSGorgeous set of six Chin Hua dining chairs 4 side and 2 armchairs by Raymond K. Sobota for Century Furniture. Comprised of ebonized deep brown a...Category
Late 20th Century American Chinoiserie Dining Room ChairsMaterials
- Century Furniture Contemporary Loveseat SofaBy Century FurnitureLocated in Countryside, ILCentury Furniture contemporary loveseat sofa This sofa measures: 79 wide x 36 deep x 36 inches high, with a seat height of 21 and arm height of...Category
2010s American Modern LoveseatsMaterials
Recently ViewedView All
The 1stDibs PromiseLearn More
Expertly Vetted Sellers
Confidence at Checkout
Trusted Global Delivery