- Want more images or videos?Request additional images or videos from the seller
Century Furniture Chin Hua Burl Wood Oriental China Display Cabinet Hutch
- CreatorCentury Furniture (Manufacturer)
- DimensionsHeight: 83.5 in. (212.09 cm)Width: 72 in. (182.88 cm)Depth: 17 in. (43.18 cm)
- StyleChinese Chippendale (In the Style Of)
- Materials and Techniques
- Place of Origin
- Date of ManufactureMid to Late 20th Century
- ConditionWear consistent with age and use. Very good vintage condition being structurally sound with age appropriate signs of normal use as pictured. Overall very nice.
- Seller LocationPhiladelphia, PA
- Reference Number1stDibs: LU934115767292
Shipping & Returns
- Shipping$849 In-Home Delivery Shippingto United States 0, arrives in 3-8 weeks. We recommend this shipping type based on item size, type and fragility.Delivered by appointment to the room of your choice.Ships From: Philadelphia, PA
- Return Policy
A return for this item may be initiated within 7 days of delivery.
About the Manufacturer
Known for its many durable display cabinets, nightstands and dressers made of cherry, oak, walnut and more, Century Furniture of Hickory, North Carolina, began as an upholstered goods company in 1947 but added case goods and sophisticated mahogany dining-room furnishings shortly thereafter.
Launched by Harley Ferguson Shuford Sr., a Hickory native who was born to a family of textile mill owners, Century Furniture was intended to be “the best furniture company in the world.” With respect to speed and efficiency, the brand found its footing midway through production on a government contract that Shuford had secured in the early days to manufacture thousands of five-drawer chests. The effort was significant, but it was also a teachable moment as far as Shuford and his team’s learning the ropes of running a factory.
After hiring designer Raymond K. Sobota in 1950 and introducing the enormously popular Citation Collection in 1954, Century established its reputation as a leader in stylishly designed high-quality furniture. Sobota had furniture in his blood — after graduating from Kendall College of Art & Design in Grand Rapids, Michigan, he worked for his uncle Karl Schmidt, who was at the time a well-known furniture designer for Berkey and Gay and other makers in the Grand Rapids area, then known as America’s furniture capital. Sobota soon launched his own studio, designing furniture as a freelancer for various local manufacturers. Shuford found him by happenstance, journeying to Michigan’s second-largest city to offer a job to another designer who turned him down but recommended Sobota instead.
Century’s Citation line — a sizable collection for the brand that spanned furnishings for the bedroom, dining room and more — is revered in the world of mid-century modern furniture collectors. The pieces sold very well during the 1950s, and the line is an oft-cited success story for Sobota, who would go on to win awards for his work and whose own catalogue of designs for the brand is massive.
In his 40-year career at Century, until he retired in 1995, he designed well over 100 furniture lines. Sobota’s nightstands, cabinets, side tables and more are characterized by his interest in Asian design, distinctly and brilliantly expressed in his Hollywood Regency–style Chin Hua line, which debuted during the 1970s. With its geometrically decorative brass drawer pulls and door handles as well as dining-chair seat-back carvings — all inspired by Asian motifs — this collection has rendered vintage pieces that saw Century’s craftsmen working with alluring ebonized walnut and more, some of the company’s most sought-after work today.
Also in the 1970s as well as in the 1980s, Manhattan interior designer Jay Spectre introduced an Art Deco–informed spirit at Century Furniture, creating oversize, inviting lounge chairs and bentwood benches that featured plush tufted leather cushions. Spectre’s Eclipse collection was at one point among the largest-selling lines for the brand.
Century licensed collections with celebrity interior designers such as Thomas O’Brien, Charlotte Moss and Bunny Williams among others. In 2013, when Alex Shuford III was named president of Century Furniture, the move marked the succession of the third generation to lead this company, which is today one of the world’s largest privately held manufacturers of high-end furniture.
Find Hollywood Regency–style lounge and dining chairs as well as vintage mid-century modern wardrobe credenzas, dressers and more from Century Furniture on 1stDibs.
- By Jasper Furniture CompanyLocated in Philadelphia, PAVintage Chinoiserie / Oriental style three piece display cabinet by Jasper Cabinet Company. Item features high q...Category
Mid-20th Century American Chinoiserie CabinetsMaterials
- By MastercraftLocated in Philadelphia, PARemarkable Amboyna burl wood French Hollywood Regency style curio display cabinet by Mastercraft. Etagere cabine...Category
Vintage 1970s American Hollywood Regency BookcasesMaterials
- Located in Philadelphia, PAAntique German Art Deco burl walnut zebra wood small glass curio display cabinet. Item features beautiful wood g...Category
Early 20th Century German Art Deco CabinetsMaterials
- By HenredonLocated in Philadelphia, PAThree-part lighted China, cabinet or bar from the scene two collection by Henredon. This stunning unit features ...Category
Vintage 1970s American Mid-Century Modern CabinetsMaterials
Burl, Glass$6,800 Sale Price20% Off
- Located in Philadelphia, PAAntique American rustic oak wood cupboard cabinet hutch 2 glass doors. Item features solid wood construction, be...Category
Early 20th Century North American Primitive CabinetsMaterials
- Located in Philadelphia, PAAntique Victorian golden oak cabinet. Item features two-part construction, wire front doors, draped interior, so...Category
Antique Late 19th Century American Victorian CabinetsMaterials
You May Also Like
Late 20th Century European Mid-Century Modern Cabinets
Late 20th Century American Chinoiserie Cabinets
Late 20th Century American Chinoiserie Dry Bars
Late 20th Century American Chinoiserie Dry Bars
Vintage 1970s North American Mid-Century Modern Dressers
Antique Early 1900s French Cabinets
Vintage 1940s American Hollywood Regency Buffets
Vintage 1970s North American Chinoiserie Cabinets
The 1stDibs PromiseLearn More
Expertly Vetted Sellers
Confidence at Checkout
Insured Global Delivery