Chin Hua Display Cabinet by Raymond Sobota for Century Furniture
About the Item
- Creator:Century Furniture (Manufacturer)
- Dimensions:Height: 81.5 in (207.01 cm)Width: 58 in (147.32 cm)Depth: 16 in (40.64 cm)
- Style:Mid-Century Modern (Of the Period)
- Materials and Techniques:Burl,Ebonized
- Place of Origin:
- Date of Manufacture:1970s
- Condition:Wear consistent with age and use.
- Seller Location:Pasadena, TX
- Reference Number:1stDibs: LU867123576842
Known for its durable vintage display cabinets, nightstands and dressers made of cherry, oak, walnut and more, Century Furniture of Hickory, North Carolina, began as an upholstered goods company in 1947 but added case goods and sophisticated mahogany dining-room furnishings shortly thereafter.
Launched by Harley Ferguson Shuford Sr., a Hickory native who was born to a family of textile mill owners, Century Furniture was intended to be “the best furniture company in the world.” With respect to speed and efficiency, the brand found its footing midway through production on a government contract that Shuford had secured in the early days to manufacture thousands of five-drawer chests. The effort was significant, but it was also a teachable moment as far as Shuford and his team’s learning the ropes of running a factory.
After hiring designer Raymond K. Sobota in 1950 and introducing the enormously popular Citation Collection in 1954, Century established its reputation as a leader in stylishly designed high-quality furniture. Sobota had furniture in his blood — after graduating from Kendall College of Art & Design in Grand Rapids, Michigan, he worked for his uncle Karl Schmidt, who was at the time a well-known furniture designer for Berkey and Gay and other makers in the Grand Rapids area, then known as America’s furniture capital. Sobota soon launched his own studio, designing furniture as a freelancer for various local manufacturers. Shuford found him by happenstance, journeying to Michigan’s second-largest city to offer a job to another designer who turned him down but recommended Sobota instead.
Century’s Citation line — a sizable collection for the brand that spanned furnishings for the bedroom, dining room and more — is revered in the world of vintage mid-century modern furniture collectors. The pieces sold very well during the 1950s, and the line is an oft-cited success story for Sobota, who would go on to win awards for his work and whose own catalogue of designs for the brand is massive.
In his 40-year career at Century, until he retired in 1995, he designed well over 100 furniture lines. Sobota’s nightstands, cabinets, side tables and more are characterized by his interest in Asian design, distinctly and brilliantly expressed in his Hollywood Regency–style Chin Hua line, which debuted during the 1970s. With its geometrically decorative brass drawer pulls and door handles as well as dining-chair seat-back carvings — all inspired by Asian motifs — this collection has rendered vintage pieces that saw Century’s craftsmen working with alluring ebonized walnut and more, some of the company’s most sought-after work today.
Also in the 1970s as well as in the 1980s, Manhattan interior designer Jay Spectre introduced an Art Deco–informed spirit at Century Furniture, creating oversize, inviting lounge chairs and bentwood benches that featured plush tufted leather cushions. Spectre’s Eclipse collection was at one point among the largest-selling lines for the brand.
Century licensed collections with celebrity interior designers such as Thomas O’Brien, Charlotte Moss and Bunny Williams among others. In 2013, when Alex Shuford III was named president of Century Furniture, the move marked the succession of the third generation to lead this company, which is today one of the world’s largest privately held manufacturers of high-end furniture.
- ShippingRetrieving quote...Ships From: Pasadena, TX
- Return PolicyA return for this item may be initiated within 7 days of delivery.
- 62" Chin Hua Dining Table by Raymond Sobota for Century FurnitureBy Century FurnitureLocated in Pasadena, TXChin Hua dining table by Raymond Sobota for Century Furniture Raymond Karl Sobota (1914-2010) Dining table designed by Raymond K. Sobota for th...Category
Late 20th Century North American Chinoiserie Dining Room TablesMaterials
- Chin Hua Dresser Credenza by Century FurnitureBy Century FurnitureLocated in Pasadena, TXCentury Chin Hua Dresser Credenza Sideboard buffet or dresser manufactured by Century Furniture as part of the Chin Hua collection from the 1970s. E...Category
Vintage 1970s North American Mid-Century Modern DressersMaterials
- Pair of Century Furniture Chin Hua NightstandsBy Century FurnitureLocated in Pasadena, TXPair of Century Furniture Chin Hua nightstands Pair of Century Furniture Chin Hua nightstands Pair of Chin Hua nightstands by Century Furnit...Category
Vintage 1960s American Mid-Century Modern Night StandsMaterials
- 93" Black Lacquered Chin Hua Headboard by Century FurnitureBy Century FurnitureLocated in Pasadena, TXBlack lacquered chin hua headboard by Century Furniture. Carved details on corners of headboard. Would look fantastic with drapery behind or a scree...Category
Vintage 1970s American Chinoiserie Beds and Bed FramesMaterials
- Set of 6 Chin Hua Dining Chairs by Raymond Sabota for Century FurnitureLocated in Pasadena, TXChin Hua dining chairs by Raymond Sabota for Century Furniture Company Set of 6 dining chairs by Century Furniture. Part of the Chin Hua coll...Category
Late 20th Century Dining Room ChairsMaterials
- James Mont Chin Hua Hollywood Regency Buffet CabinetBy James MontLocated in Pasadena, TXChin Hua inspired buffet or cabinet designed by James Mont. Ebonized oak with silver leaf detailing. Four center drawers with carved pulls and two side doors with shelved storage.Category
Vintage 1940s American Hollywood Regency BuffetsMaterials
- 1970s Vintage Century Furniture Chin Hua by Raymond K Sobota Dual China DisplayBy Raymond Sabota, Century FurnitureLocated in Waxahachie, TXBorn in 1970 in North Carolina. Dual China display cabinet/ sideboard/ credenza by Century Furniture. The Chin Hua line by Raymond K Sabota. Maple hardwood with burl maple veneers, b...Category
Vintage 1970s American Campaign CabinetsMaterials
- Century Chinoiserie Chin Hua Dbl Display China Cabinet Bookcase Raymond SobotaBy Raymond K. Sobota, Century FurnitureLocated in Topeka, KSStunning vintage chinoiserie Chin Hua double display, China cabinet, or bookcase by Raymond K. Sobota for Century Furniture. Comprised of white ash burlwood with ebonized maple accents, brass hardware, lighted cabinet with 3/8-inch glass shelves with plate grooves. Beautiful condition, keeping in mind that this is vintage and not new so will have signs of use and wear. There are some minor chips in some of the shelves. Please see photos and zoom in for details. We attempt to portray any imperfections. Circa, Late 20th Century. YES… Actually, you ARE seeing DOUBLE!! This is a phenomenal DOUBLE display cabinet, China cabinet, or bookcase by Raymond K. Sobota for Century Furniture!! This outstanding piece is part of the original Chin Hua collection designed by Raymond K. Sobota for Century Furniture in 1975. The entire collection was retired in 1998 after a 23-year successful run. So successful that Century Furniture reissued the collection in 2012. And it is no wonder they revived it. The Chin Hua Collection was one of Century’s most revered collections of all time. However, this gorgeous piece is not part of the new collection and is only available vintage. Playing with the Hollywood Regency and Chinoiseries style, Sobota designed this piece beautifully. It is comprised of 2 separate pieces as the top separates from the base, but it’s not designed to use the two pieces separately. However, it is nice for shipping and relocating purposes! The entire piece is all one depth, and the frame is comprised of white ash burlwood with ebonized maple accents and stunning brass hardware. The top of the cabinet is lighted and features four glass front doors with a black wood center divider inside between each cabinet and a total of six 3/8-inch glass shelves (three on each side) with plate grooves behind them. WOW!! The base has two sets of beautiful burlwood front double doors which feature gorgeous brass accent pulls and inside, a fixed wood partial shelf on each side. Talk about wonderful storage space!! Fill it with your favorite sculptures, books, plates, linens, or objects d’art! Whatever you choose to fill it with, this double display cabinet or bookcase is ready to make a bold statement in your living room, dining area, study, or any room that needs a bit of chinoiserie excellence. Raymond Karl Sobota (1914-2010) is an award-winning American furniture designer. He attended and obtained his degree in design from Kendall College of Art and Design in his native home of Grand Rapids, Michigan. After graduating in 1946 Sobota apprenticed with his namesake and uncle, a furniture designer as well, Karl Schmidt, who designed for Berkey and Gay Furniture...Category
Late 20th Century American Chinoiserie CabinetsMaterials
- CENTURY Chin Hua by Raymond Sobota Asian Chinoiserie Dual China Display CabinetBy Century Furniture, Raymond SabotaLocated in Charlotte, NCAn Asian style dual china display cabinet by high-quality furniture maker Century Furniture, from their "Chin Hua" line designed by Raymond K Sobota. Maple hardwood with burl maple veneers, black lacquer and brass hardware. Dual lighted upper cabinets with three adjustable plate grooved glass shelves in each (6), dual beveled glass pane doors...Category
Late 20th Century American Chinoiserie CabinetsMaterials
- 1970s Century Furniture Chin Hua Chest by Raymond SobotaBy Raymond Sabota, Century FurnitureLocated in Hartville, OHFrom Raymond Sobota’s Chin Hua Collection for Century Furniture. Beautiful details. brass Finishes. Pull out shelf. Finished on all four sides....Category
Vintage 1970s American Chinoiserie Commodes and Chests of DrawersMaterials
- Awesome Chin Hua Lotus Bar Cabinet by Century FurnitureBy Century FurnitureLocated in Long Branch, NJAwesome Chin Hua Lotus Bar Cabinet by Century Furniture Dimensions : 54" Wide X 74.25" Tall X 17.25" Deep This bar cabinet is incredible It has a gorgeous modern form but would st...Category
2010s American CabinetsMaterials
- CENTURY Chin Hua by Raymond Sobota Asian Chinoiserie Triple DresserBy Raymond Sabota, Century FurnitureLocated in Charlotte, NCAn Asian Style triple dresser by top-quality furniture maker Century Furniture, from their "Chin Hua" line designed by Raymond K Sobota. Burl maple, brass hardware, banded top with o...Category
Late 20th Century American Chinoiserie DressersMaterials