1970s Century Furniture Chin Hua Chest by Raymond Sobota
About the Item
- Dimensions:Height: 26.5 in (67.31 cm)Width: 28 in (71.12 cm)Depth: 18 in (45.72 cm)
- Style:Chinoiserie (In the Style Of)
- Materials and Techniques:
- Place of Origin:
- Date of Manufacture:1970
- Condition:Wear consistent with age and use. Minimal Signs of wear/use. A few chips in the black lacquer boarder on the top that will be professionally touched up before delivery if it's not been done already.
- Seller Location:Hartville, OH
- Reference Number:1stDibs: LU8594234110192
Known for its durable vintage display cabinets, nightstands and dressers made of cherry, oak, walnut and more, Century Furniture of Hickory, North Carolina, began as an upholstered goods company in 1947 but added case goods and sophisticated mahogany dining-room furnishings shortly thereafter.
Launched by Harley Ferguson Shuford Sr., a Hickory native who was born to a family of textile mill owners, Century Furniture was intended to be “the best furniture company in the world.” With respect to speed and efficiency, the brand found its footing midway through production on a government contract that Shuford had secured in the early days to manufacture thousands of five-drawer chests. The effort was significant, but it was also a teachable moment as far as Shuford and his team’s learning the ropes of running a factory.
After hiring designer Raymond K. Sobota in 1950 and introducing the enormously popular Citation Collection in 1954, Century established its reputation as a leader in stylishly designed high-quality furniture. Sobota had furniture in his blood — after graduating from Kendall College of Art & Design in Grand Rapids, Michigan, he worked for his uncle Karl Schmidt, who was at the time a well-known furniture designer for Berkey and Gay and other makers in the Grand Rapids area, then known as America’s furniture capital. Sobota soon launched his own studio, designing furniture as a freelancer for various local manufacturers. Shuford found him by happenstance, journeying to Michigan’s second-largest city to offer a job to another designer who turned him down but recommended Sobota instead.
Century’s Citation line — a sizable collection for the brand that spanned furnishings for the bedroom, dining room and more — is revered in the world of vintage mid-century modern furniture collectors. The pieces sold very well during the 1950s, and the line is an oft-cited success story for Sobota, who would go on to win awards for his work and whose own catalogue of designs for the brand is massive.
In his 40-year career at Century, until he retired in 1995, he designed well over 100 furniture lines. Sobota’s nightstands, cabinets, side tables and more are characterized by his interest in Asian design, distinctly and brilliantly expressed in his Hollywood Regency–style Chin Hua line, which debuted during the 1970s. With its geometrically decorative brass drawer pulls and door handles as well as dining-chair seat-back carvings — all inspired by Asian motifs — this collection has rendered vintage pieces that saw Century’s craftsmen working with alluring ebonized walnut and more, some of the company’s most sought-after work today.
Also in the 1970s as well as in the 1980s, Manhattan interior designer Jay Spectre introduced an Art Deco–informed spirit at Century Furniture, creating oversize, inviting lounge chairs and bentwood benches that featured plush tufted leather cushions. Spectre’s Eclipse collection was at one point among the largest-selling lines for the brand.
Century licensed collections with celebrity interior designers such as Thomas O’Brien, Charlotte Moss and Bunny Williams among others. In 2013, when Alex Shuford III was named president of Century Furniture, the move marked the succession of the third generation to lead this company, which is today one of the world’s largest privately held manufacturers of high-end furniture.
- ShippingRetrieving quote...Ships From: Hartville, OH
- Return Policy
This item cannot be returned.
- 1970s Vintage Century Furniture Omni Collection 4 Drawer ChestBy Century FurnitureLocated in Hartville, OHMagnificent vintage piece from the Omni Collection by Century Furniture. Monumental in size this beauty has a huge presence both physically and beauty. The largest drawers you’ve e...Category
Vintage 1970s American Beaux Arts Commodes and Chests of DrawersMaterials
- 1980s Vintage Chests From Century FurnitureBy Century FurnitureLocated in Hartville, OH1 of 2 Monumental Chests of Drawers from Century Furniture. Distressed finish, beautiful hardware and cream stone tops. These are huge and have a strong European rustic feel. Italian...Category
Vintage 1980s American British Colonial Commodes and Chests of DrawersMaterials
- Expertly Restored Century Furniture Tomei SofaBy Century Furniture, Raymond SabotaLocated in Hartville, OHSpectacular Century Furniture Made Tomei Sofa, part of the highly sought after Chin Hua collection by Raymond Sobota, circa 1970s. Fresh from a complete overhaul from the Upholstery ...Category
Vintage 1970s American Chinoiserie SofasMaterials
- Expertly Reupholstered Black Lacquered Chinoiserie Chairs by Century FurnitureBy Century FurnitureLocated in Hartville, OHA rich, decadent black lacquered finish wraps these beautiful chairs by Century Furniture in the style of James Mont. freshly upholstered with new everything and finished with a spec...Category
Vintage 1970s American Chinoiserie Side ChairsMaterials
- Custom Century Furniture Italian Painted CredenzaBy Century FurnitureLocated in Hartville, OHExtraordinary Vintage Century Credenza, Sideboard. Century Furniture Company shows little record of this piece in their archives, likely meaning this was a custom finished piece maki...Category
Vintage 1970s American International Style BuffetsMaterials
- Trio of Vintage Burled Wood Cabinets from Century FurnitureBy Century FurnitureLocated in Hartville, OHSpectacular trio of Burled Wood Chests from famed Century Furniture. It’s remarkable to find one of these chests available in today’s vintage market ...Category
Vintage 1970s American Mid-Century Modern CabinetsMaterials
- CENTURY Chin Hua Raymond Sobota Asian Chinoiserie Gentleman's Chest - BBy Century Furniture, Raymond SabotaLocated in Charlotte, NCAn Asian Style gentleman's chest by top-quality furniture maker Century Furniture, from their "Chin Hua" line designed by Raymond K Sobota. Burl maple, brass hardware, banded top wit...Category
Late 20th Century American Chinoiserie Commodes and Chests of DrawersMaterials
- CENTURY Chin Hua Raymond Sobota Asian Chinoiserie Gentleman's Chest - ABy Century Furniture, Raymond SabotaLocated in Charlotte, NCAn Asian style gentleman's chest by top-quality furniture maker Century Furniture, from their "Chin Hua" line designed by Raymond K Sobota. Burl maple with black lacquer trim, brass ...Category
Late 20th Century American Chinoiserie Commodes and Chests of DrawersMaterials
- 1970s Vintage Century Furniture Chin Hua by Raymond K Sobota Dual China DisplayBy Century Furniture, Raymond SabotaLocated in Waxahachie, TXBorn in 1970 in North Carolina. Dual China display cabinet/ sideboard/ credenza by Century Furniture. The Chin Hua line by Raymond K Sabota. Maple hardwood with burl maple veneers, b...Category
Vintage 1970s American Campaign CabinetsMaterials
- CENTURY Chin Hua by Raymond Sobota Asian Chinoiserie Triple DresserBy Century Furniture, Raymond SabotaLocated in Charlotte, NCAn Asian Style triple dresser by top-quality furniture maker Century Furniture, from their "Chin Hua" line designed by Raymond K Sobota. Burl maple, brass hardware, banded top with o...Category
Late 20th Century American Chinoiserie DressersMaterials
- CENTURY Chin Hua by Raymond Sobota Asian Chinoiserie Dual China Display CabinetBy Century Furniture, Raymond SabotaLocated in Charlotte, NCAn Asian style dual china display cabinet by high-quality furniture maker Century Furniture, from their "Chin Hua" line designed by Raymond K Sobota. Maple hardwood with burl maple veneers, black lacquer and brass hardware. Dual lighted upper cabinets with three adjustable plate grooved glass shelves in each (6), dual beveled glass pane doors...Category
Late 20th Century American Chinoiserie CabinetsMaterials
- Chin Hua Display Cabinet by Raymond Sobota for Century FurnitureBy Century FurnitureLocated in Pasadena, TXChin Hua display cabinet by Raymond Sobota for Century Furniture Raymond K. Sobota started designing for Century Furniture in ...Category
Late 20th Century European Mid-Century Modern CabinetsMaterials
Recently ViewedView All
The 1stDibs PromiseLearn More
Expertly Vetted Sellers
Confidence at Checkout
Trusted Global Delivery