- Want more images or videos?Request additional images or videos from the seller
Hermès Tan Leather Chests with Drawers, Cabinets, Guido Faleschini, Italy, 1970s
- DimensionsHeight: 57 in (144.78 cm)Width: 24 in (60.96 cm)Depth: 24 in (60.96 cm)
- Sold AsSet of 2
- StyleModern (Of the Period)
- Materials and Techniques
- Place of Origin
- Date of Manufacture1970s
- ConditionWear consistent with age and use. Minor losses. Good vintage condition. Leather on fronts appears intact and in good overall condition. One scratch to the bottom front of one of the cabinets, about 1" long, One split in the side textile of one of the cabinets. About 1.5" long.
- Seller LocationBrooklyn, NY
- Reference Number1stDibs: LU4190330556672
Shipping & Returns
- ShippingRetrieving quote...Ships From: Brooklyn, NY
- Return Policy
A return for this item may be initiated within 1 day of delivery.
About the Retailer
For Hermès, what began as a maker of leather equestrian goods for European noblemen would eventually grow into one of the most storied fashion labels in the world. In 1837, German-born French entrepreneur Thierry Hermès opened a saddle and harness purveyor in Paris. Gradually, the house extended into accessories and luggage for its riders, and today, in paying homage to its origins, the family-run luxury brand resurfaces horse motifs in everything from clothing and modernist jewelry to pillows and handbags.
The first top-handled bag ever produced by Hermès was the Haut à courroies, which made its debut in 1892. A tall bag secured with a folded leather flap (fastened with bridle-inspired straps), it was designed to transport riding boots and a harness. As the world made the switch from horse to automobile, the bag adapted, becoming a multifunctional travel satchel instead of a designated saddlebag. Today, 120 years later, the HAC remains in Hermès’s line — and its distinctive flap and clasping straps have laid the groundwork for some of the house’s other iconic bags.
In the 1930s, Robert Dumas (son-in-law to Émile-Maurice Hermès, Thierry’s grandson) designed a smaller, trapezoidal take on the flap bag with a handle and two side straps. Later, actress Grace Kelly, then engaged to Prince Rainier of Monaco, is said to have used one of these bags to conceal her pregnancy during the 1950s. Because she was photographed constantly, the coverage catapulted her handbag to international popularity. In 1977, Hermès officially renamed the model for her, and the Kelly bag was born. Each Kelly bag takes between 18 and 25 hours to produce, and its 680 hand stitches owe solely to one Hermès artisan.
Robert Dumas was also responsible for another one of the brand’s most iconic offerings: the launch of its first silk scarf on the occasion of Hermès’s 100th anniversary in 1937. Based on a woodblock designed by Dumas and printed on Chinese silk, the accessory was an immediate hit.
Today, vintage Hermès scarves, typically adorned in rich colors and elaborate patterns, serve many functions, just as they did back then. Well-heeled women wear it on their heads, around their necks and, in a genius piece of cross-promotion, tied to the straps of their Hermès bags. Kelly even once used one as a sling for her broken arm.
In 1981, Robert Dumas’s son Jean-Louis Dumas, then Hermès chairman, found himself sitting next to French actress and musician Jane Birkin on a plane, where she was complaining about finding a suitable carryall for the necessary accoutrements of motherhood. After the two travelers were properly introduced, Birkin helped design Jean-Louis’s most famous contribution to the Hermès canon: the Birkin bag, a roomy, square catchall with the HAC’s trademark leather flap top and the addition of a lock and key. Owing to the brand’s legendary commitment to deft, handcrafted construction, the Birkin is an investment that is coveted by collectors everywhere.
While the Kelly and Birkin may be standouts, gracing the arms of everyone from royal heiresses to hip-hop stars in the past few decades, the handbags are but a small part of Hermès’s fashion offerings. Since the 1920s, the brand has produced some of the most desirable leather goods in the world. There’s the Constance bag, a favorite of Jacqueline Kennedy, the recently relaunched 1970s-era Evelyne and, on the vintage market, a slew of designs dating back to the 1920s.
- Hermès Tan Leather Chest with Drawers, Cabinet, Guido Faleschini, Italy, 1970sBy Guido Faleschini, i4 Mariani, HermèsLocated in Brooklyn, NYHermès Tan leather chest with drawers, cabinet armoire, i4 Mariani Italy 1970s. Guido Faleschini. I4 Mariani for Pace fully upholstered cabinet, mid-20th century, designed by Guido ...Category
Mid-20th Century Italian Modern Commodes and Chests of DrawersMaterials
Stainless Steel$8,100 Sale Price / item25% Off
- Simon Russell for Kartell 8 Drawer Stacking File Cabinet, 1970sBy KartellLocated in Brooklyn, NYSimon Russell for Kartell 8 drawer stacking file cabinet, 1970s. Incredible, eight drawer, stacking file cabinet, by Simon Russell for Kartell, circa 1970s. The dimensions are 16.5" ...Category
Vintage 1970s Italian Mid-Century Modern CabinetsMaterials
Acrylic$2,240 Sale Price30% Off
- Richard Woods Wrongwood Chest of Drawers, Established & Sons, UK, 2007By Established & Sons, Richard WoodsLocated in Brooklyn, NYBritish artist Richard Woods is renowned for his work with garish and repetitious motifs. He has applied these to facades, floors and walls across the world in commissioned work and ...Category
21st Century and Contemporary British Post-Modern Commodes and Chests of...Materials
Wood$4,050 Sale Price25% Off
- Habersham Plantation Hand Painted Trompe L'oeil Provincial Chest of DrawersBy HabershamLocated in Brooklyn, NYHabersham Plantation hand painted Trompe L'oeil Provincial chest of drawers, Dresser. MSRP for custom pieces such as this from Habersham hover around the 10-12,000 USD region. Haber...Category
Late 20th Century American French Provincial DressersMaterials
Wood$3,080 Sale Price44% Off
- Baker Furniture Cinnabar Red Lacquer Hand-Painted Dutch Chest of Drawers, USABy Baker Furniture CompanyLocated in Brooklyn, NYBaker Furniture cinnabar red lacquer hand-painted dutch chest of drawers, USA. Vintage Collector’s Edition rarity. Labelled. Lovely piece. Post 1970, USA. Vibrant red cinnabar hue is...Category
Mid-20th Century American Chinoiserie Commodes and Chests of DrawersMaterials
Wood$5,785 Sale Price35% Off
- George Nelson Thin Edge Double Dresser, Chest, Santos Palisander, Herman MillerBy Herman Miller, George NelsonLocated in Brooklyn, NYGeorge Nelson thin edge double dresser, chest, Santos Palisander, Herman Miller. In 1944, Life magazine published an extensive article detailing the “Storage Wall”, George Nelson’s ...Category
Mid-20th Century American Mid-Century Modern DressersMaterials
Palisander$10,360 Sale Price20% Off
- Guido Faleschini for Mariani Cabinets in Cognac LeatherBy Guido Faleschini, i4 MarianiLocated in Waalwijk, NLGuido Faleschini for i4 Mariani, ‘Pace Collection’ cabinets, leather, chromed steel, wood, Italy, circa 1975 This eccentric pair of cabinets is designed by the creative Italian d...Category
Vintage 1970s Italian Post-Modern CabinetsMaterials
- Guido Faleschini Swivel VanityBy Guido Faleschini, i4 MarianiLocated in Los Angeles, CARare mirrored wardrobe by Guido Faleschini for Italian manufacturer, Mariani. Circa 1970s. Quality materials and techniques that you do not see these days. This rotating wardrobe fea...Category
Vintage 1970s Italian Floor Mirrors and Full-Length MirrorsMaterials
- Pair of Rouge Marble Top Guido Faleschini Dressers Chests Cabinets CredenzasBy Guido Faleschini, i4 MarianiLocated in Rockaway, NJPair of Mid-Century Modern marble-top dressers finished in grey real suede leather by Guido Faleschini for Mariani. High quality gloss finish vivid rouge color marble tops. Lots of s...Category
20th Century Italian Mid-Century Modern Commodes and Chests of DrawersMaterials
- Guido Faleschini Set of Two Cabinets in Metal and Suede by Mariani 1960s ItalyBy Guido Faleschini, i4 MarianiLocated in Montecatini Terme, ITSet of two cabinets with suede clad panels, each panel is surrounded by a chromed steel frame and presents metal ring shape handles on the frontal part. These cabinets was designed ...Category
Vintage 1960s Italian Other CabinetsMaterials
Metal$5,564 Sale Price / set20% Off
- Pace Collection Smoked Mirror Doors Guido Faleschini by i4 Mariani WardrobesBy i4 Mariani, Pace CollectionLocated in Rockaway, NJSet of three square cylinder shape smoked glass doors wardrobes by Mariani for Pace.Category
20th Century Italian Mid-Century Modern Commodes and Chests of DrawersMaterials
- Cabinet by Guido Faleschini for Mariani, Italy, 1970By Guido Faleschini, i4 MarianiLocated in London, GBCabinet in steel and felt with 6 drawers The elements can be arranged in several ways, or separated.Category
Vintage 1970s Italian Mid-Century Modern SideboardsMaterials
Recently ViewedView More
The Stories behind the Most Famous Luxury Fashion Logos
From Chanel to YSL, the logos of some legacy fashion houses spark instant brand recognition and have come to symbolize a kind of luxury that feels at once aspirational and attainable.
How to Spot a Fake Hermès Birkin Bag
The iconic Birkin bag is much coveted — and often copied. Find out how to tell the real deal from a convincing fake. Of course, you don't have to worry about this on 1stDibs, where every seller is highly vetted.