Century Furniture French Bombe Style Mahogany Triple Dresser with Trifold Mirror
About the Item
- Creator:Century Furniture (Manufacturer)
- Dimensions:Height: 31.5 in (80.01 cm)Width: 73 in (185.42 cm)Depth: 20.5 in (52.07 cm)
- Style:Baroque (In the Style Of)
- Materials and Techniques:
- Place of Origin:
- Date of Manufacture:1980s
- Condition:Wear consistent with age and use.
- Seller Location:Germantown, MD
- Reference Number:Seller: WJAB0719221stDibs: LU5751229653462
Known for its durable vintage display cabinets, nightstands and dressers made of cherry, oak, walnut and more, Century Furniture of Hickory, North Carolina, began as an upholstered goods company in 1947 but added case goods and sophisticated mahogany dining-room furnishings shortly thereafter.
Launched by Harley Ferguson Shuford Sr., a Hickory native who was born to a family of textile mill owners, Century Furniture was intended to be “the best furniture company in the world.” With respect to speed and efficiency, the brand found its footing midway through production on a government contract that Shuford had secured in the early days to manufacture thousands of five-drawer chests. The effort was significant, but it was also a teachable moment as far as Shuford and his team’s learning the ropes of running a factory.
After hiring designer Raymond K. Sobota in 1950 and introducing the enormously popular Citation Collection in 1954, Century established its reputation as a leader in stylishly designed high-quality furniture. Sobota had furniture in his blood — after graduating from Kendall College of Art & Design in Grand Rapids, Michigan, he worked for his uncle Karl Schmidt, who was at the time a well-known furniture designer for Berkey and Gay and other makers in the Grand Rapids area, then known as America’s furniture capital. Sobota soon launched his own studio, designing furniture as a freelancer for various local manufacturers. Shuford found him by happenstance, journeying to Michigan’s second-largest city to offer a job to another designer who turned him down but recommended Sobota instead.
Century’s Citation line — a sizable collection for the brand that spanned furnishings for the bedroom, dining room and more — is revered in the world of vintage mid-century modern furniture collectors. The pieces sold very well during the 1950s, and the line is an oft-cited success story for Sobota, who would go on to win awards for his work and whose own catalogue of designs for the brand is massive.
In his 40-year career at Century, until he retired in 1995, he designed well over 100 furniture lines. Sobota’s nightstands, cabinets, side tables and more are characterized by his interest in Asian design, distinctly and brilliantly expressed in his Hollywood Regency–style Chin Hua line, which debuted during the 1970s. With its geometrically decorative brass drawer pulls and door handles as well as dining-chair seat-back carvings — all inspired by Asian motifs — this collection has rendered vintage pieces that saw Century’s craftsmen working with alluring ebonized walnut and more, some of the company’s most sought-after work today.
Also in the 1970s as well as in the 1980s, Manhattan interior designer Jay Spectre introduced an Art Deco–informed spirit at Century Furniture, creating oversize, inviting lounge chairs and bentwood benches that featured plush tufted leather cushions. Spectre’s Eclipse collection was at one point among the largest-selling lines for the brand.
Century licensed collections with celebrity interior designers such as Thomas O’Brien, Charlotte Moss and Bunny Williams among others. In 2013, when Alex Shuford III was named president of Century Furniture, the move marked the succession of the third generation to lead this company, which is today one of the world’s largest privately held manufacturers of high-end furniture.
- ShippingRetrieving quote...Ships From: Germantown, MD
- Return Policy
A return for this item may be initiated within 3 days of delivery.
- Dixie Provincial Style Walnut 9-Drawer Triple Dresser with MirrorBy DixieLocated in Germantown, MDDixie Provincial Style Walnut Fruitwood Triple Dresser With Mirror. Very solid construction with original French drawer pulls and featuring 9 drawers,...Category
Mid-20th Century American French Provincial DressersMaterials
- White Furniture French Country Maple Triple Dresser, Circa 1970sLocated in Germantown, MDWhite Furniture French Country maple triple dresser, Circa 1970s. Original French Country handles. 9 drawers with 3 enclosed drawers. All dove...Category
Mid-20th Century American French Provincial DressersMaterials
- Mid-Century Thomasville Neoclassical French Style Fruitwood Triple DresserBy ThomasvilleLocated in Germantown, MDA beautiful 9-drawer Thomasville Neoclassical Style Fruitwood triple dresser in good vintage condition. Features 9 dovetailed drawers with original heavy duty drawer pulls and knobs...Category
Mid-20th Century American Neoclassical DressersMaterials
- Unique Furniture Makers Double Dresser with MirrorLocated in Germantown, MDUnique mid-century Chippendale double dresser by Unique Furniture Makers in very good vintage condition. Dresser has been profesionally refinis...Category
Mid-20th Century American Chippendale DressersMaterials
- 1940s Carlton House Mahogany 12-Drawer Triple DresserBy Carlton House Fine FurnitureLocated in Germantown, MDRare 1940s Carlton house mahogany 12-drawer triple dresser. Solid red mahogany outer with fruitwood drawers. All dovetail drawers fully functional. Part ...Category
Mid-20th Century English Chippendale DressersMaterials
- Phenix Furniture Renaissance Revival Walnut Dresser with Mirror, circa 1910sLocated in Germantown, MDBeautiful, well crafted Dresser from the very reputable Phenix Furniture Co, Warren Pa. Very well made. Quality construction with dovetail finish & wo...Category
Early 20th Century American Renaissance Revival DressersMaterials
- Baker Furniture 18th Century Flemish Style Mahogany Triple Dresser, RefinishedBy Baker Furniture CompanyLocated in South Bend, INA gorgeous 18th century Flemish reproduction chest of drawers, dresser, or buffet server By Baker Furniture USA, mid-20th century ...Category
Mid-20th Century American British Colonial DressersMaterials
- French Provincial Bombe Dresser by White FurnitureLocated in Jacksonville, FLVintage 20th century French provincial dresser features bombe style detailing, cabriole legs, and scrolled feet. Shaped top and skirt along with bronze hardware. Good condition with ...Category
Vintage 1960s American French Provincial DressersMaterials
- Edwardian Mahogany Triple Mirror Vanity DresserLocated in Pasadena, TXMahogany triple mirror vanity with adjustable mirrors 1900s This stunning vanity has a raised back with burled and parquetry oval panels. One ...Category
Early 20th Century European Edwardian DressersMaterials
- UNIQUE FURNITURE Mid 20th Century Asian Style Triple DresserLocated in Charlotte, NCAn Asian style triple dresser by Unique Furniture. Nutwood with slightly distressed finish, burlwood to top & drawer fronts, banded top and brass hard...Category
Mid-20th Century American Chinoiserie DressersMaterials
- COUNCILL CRAFTSMEN Mahogany Chippendale Style Triple DresserBy CouncillLocated in Charlotte, NCA Chippendale style triple dresser by Councill Craftsmen. Solid mahogany with brass hardware and ogee bracket feet. Features ten various size drawer...Category
Late 20th Century American Chippendale DressersMaterials
- 19th Century French Empire Mahogany Dresser with MirrorLocated in Dallas, TX19th century French Empire mahogany dresser with mirror was crafted during the 2nd Empire under the reign of Napoleon III, and features ...Category
Antique 1870s French Napoleon III DressersMaterials
Recently ViewedView All
The 1stDibs PromiseLearn More
Expertly Vetted Sellers
Confidence at Checkout
Trusted Global Delivery