1971 Curtis Jere Brutalist Seascape Sailboat Metal Sculpture Wall Art
About the Item
- Creator:Curtis Jeré (Designer)
- Dimensions:Height: 26.25 in (66.68 cm)Width: 39.5 in (100.33 cm)Depth: 3.75 in (9.53 cm)
- Style:Brutalist (In the Style Of)
- Materials and Techniques:
- Place of Origin:
- Date of Manufacture:1970s
- Condition:Wear consistent with age and use. Excellent original vintage condition. Natural patina.
- Seller Location:Chattanooga, TN
- Reference Number:1stDibs: LU2255329212712
Though the name Curtis Jeré is familiar to many as the maker of ebullient and eccentric modern design from the 1960s and ‘70s, relatively few are aware that it is a pseudonym for the design team of Curtis Freiler and Jerry Fels. Together, the two created some of the most striking and vivid furnishings and decorative objects of their era, from sculptures and dynamically framed mirrors, to lighting and wall decorations.
New Yorkers Freiler and Fels had collaborated for two decades on small jewelry lines before launching a design company called Artisan House in 1964. They combined variants of their names to create an artful persona — sometimes shortened to C. Jeré; the "surname" is pronounced with a rising inflection: jhayr-EH — that stood behind large-scale decorative metalwork, marked by semi-abstract petal forms with burnt and brazed edges. Fels served as head of design, and Freiler, known for his keen handiwork, was the production chief. The pair’s eclectic metalwork has captivated decorative art collectors and interior designers ever since.
The work of Curtis Jeré displays a sense of playfulness and curiosity, while drawing on inspirations and themes that include flowers, discs, geometric forms and animal figures. Freiler and Fels had a masterful ability to work with different materials, such as patinated brass and brilliant chrome.
The price of a Curtis Jeré mirror, lamp, wall-mounted sculpture or tabletop sculpture can range from $400 to $12,000, depending on the size, the rarity of the piece, the intricacy of the metalwork and the materials used in its construction. Other factors like condition can affect the perceived value and, thus, the cost of works by Curtis Jeré.
As you will see on 1stDibs, the imaginative powers of the designers of Curtis Jeré pieces were boundless, and their creations will add a dash of verve in any room.
- ShippingRetrieving quote...Ships From: Chattanooga, TN
- Return PolicyA return for this item may be initiated within 7 days of delivery.
- Curtis Jere Carousel Horses Metal Wall Sculpture, Signed & Dated, 1987By Curtis JeréLocated in Chattanooga, TNCurtis Jere whimsical leaping carousel horse metal wall sculpture: Signed, Curtis Jere, 1987. The sheer size of this piece will fill a room with excitement...Category
Vintage 1980s American Hollywood Regency Mounted ObjectsMaterials
- Vintage Curtis Jere Style Patinated Brass Potted Tree SculptureBy Jonathan Adler, Curtis JeréLocated in Chattanooga, TNFabulous vintage 1970s Curtis Jere style patinated brass decorative potted tree. The elegantly welded metal tree is quite large. The tree with pot reaches to 73? in height and nearly...Category
Vintage 1970s American Mid-Century Modern Decorative ArtMaterials
- John Steck Desert Rose Metal and Stone Vintage Brutalist SculptureBy Curtis Jeré, John Steck, Silas SeandelLocated in Chattanooga, TNVintage 1960s metal and stone table top sculpture. “Desert Rose” by John Steck is a timeless floral arrangement of bristly pom-pom blooms emanating from a stone base. The botanical a...Category
Vintage 1960s American Brutalist Figurative SculpturesMaterials
- Huge Paul Evans Style Chunky Brutalist Mirror by LaneBy Lane Furniture, Paul EvansLocated in Chattanooga, TN1970s large Mid-Century Modern Brutalist mirror by Lane. Intricately laid, highly textured pattern adorns the centre panel, left, right and bottom. Rough hewn forms exemplify the Bru...Category
Vintage 1970s American Brutalist Wall-mounted SculpturesMaterials
- Vintage Maple Burl Walnut Rosewood and Oak Brutalist Mirror by Tabago Ltd.By Paul EvansLocated in Chattanooga, TNMade by Tabago Furniture Ltd. of Quebec, Canada, this stunning brutalist mirror use several species of wood to create a truly unique look. The magpie assortment of veneers include maple, oak, burl wood, rosewood and walnut. The main body of the piece is a honey colored maple, fitting for this Canadian made...Category
Vintage 1970s Canadian Brutalist Wall-mounted SculpturesMaterials
Oak, Rosewood, Walnut, Burl
- Studio Made Golf Club Floor Lamp Pop Art SculptureBy Ettore SottsassLocated in Chattanooga, TNIncredibly unique studio made golf club lamp. This piece is one-of-a-kind, hand made from actual golf clubs. The brands and sizes can be seen inscribed ...Category
21st Century and Contemporary American Modern Floor LampsMaterials
- 1970s Curtis Jere Brutalist Metal Mill Farmhouse Water Wheel Wall Art SculptureBy Curtis JeréLocated in Dayton, OH"1970s Mid-century Curtis Jere brutalist style wall art sculpture. Made of copper, brass and steel featuring a primitive country or farmhouse ...Category
Vintage 1970s Brutalist Wall-mounted SculpturesMaterials
Copper, Steel, Brass
- A Curtis Jere Style Abstract Brutalist Copper Wall SculptureBy Curtis JeréLocated in New York, NYA midcentury abstract ‘Brutalist’ wall sculpture, in the style of Curtis Jere, composed of various sized copper rectangles. Good condition consistent with age, some patina to the cop...Category
Mid-20th Century Brutalist Wall-mounted SculpturesMaterials
- Abstract Wall Sculpture by Curtis Jere, Multicolor Enameled Metal, SignedBy Curtis JeréLocated in Kansas City, MOOrange, green, red, blue and more multicolor wall mount sculpture by Curtis Jere. Very good condition with few if any signs of use. Signed and Dated.Category
Early 2000s American Modern Abstract SculpturesMaterials
- Brutalist Wall Sculpture of Patinated MetalBy Silas Seandel, Tony Melendy, Curtis JeréLocated in Houston, TXBrutalist wall sculpture of patinated metal. Monumental Brutalist wall sculpture of patinated metal inspired by Silas Seandel. Fabulous large Brutalist abstract wall sculpture of patinated metal in the manner of Silas Seandel/Curtis Jere/Tony Melendy...Category
Vintage 1970s Unknown Brutalist Wall-mounted SculpturesMaterials
- Curtis Jeré Brutalist Jazz Band Wall Sculpture for Artisan House, USA, 1991By Curtis Jeré, Artisan HouseLocated in Lisboa, PTThis wall sculpture was designed by Curtis Jere and produced for Artisan House, in USA in 1991. It is made of black painted metal and represents a jazz band. Curtis Jeré was the shar...Category
1990s American Mid-Century Modern Figurative SculpturesMaterials
- Curtis Jere Mid-Century Signed Brass Wall SculptureBy Curtis JeréLocated in Countryside, ILCurtis Jere mid-century signed brass wall sculpture. This sculpture measures: 21 wide x 10 deep x 50 inches high. Great Vintage Condition with a few marks and scuffs. We tak...Category
Vintage 1970s American Mid-Century Modern Abstract SculpturesMaterials