Michael Coffey, Galaxy II, Monumental Walnut Wall Sculpture, United States, 2021
About the Item
- Creator:Michael Coffey (Artist)
- Dimensions:Height: 84 in (213.36 cm)Width: 66 in (167.64 cm)Depth: 24.5 in (62.23 cm)
- Materials and Techniques:
- Place of Origin:
- Date of Manufacture:2021
- Seller Location:New York, NY
- Reference Number:Seller: COFFM 141stDibs: LU781328017512
While he may not be as well known as the designers who influenced him, master woodworker Michael Coffey creates tables, case pieces and other hand-carved furnishings that are wholly sculptural and characterized by striking, unexpected forms — they’re provocative statement pieces in any interior.
Born in 1928 in Bucks County, Pennsylvania — where like-minded designers Paul Evans, George Nakashima and Phillip Lloyd Powell shared a studio — Coffey loved working with his hands as a child. However, a sense of youthful idealism led him to pursue a master’s degree in social group work before he endeavored to design on a full-time basis. It wasn't until 1966, at the age of 38, that he started teaching himself woodworking. Coffey was inspired by innovative artisans in the furniture-making field such as Nakashima, Wharton Esherick and Wendell Castle, all of whom are credited as pioneers in the world of art furniture.
In 1972, Coffey earned his first major design commission in the form of a collection for Directional Furniture, a manufacturer that forged an enduring partnership with Paul Evans and a favorite brand of mid-century modern enthusiasts. He continued to collaborate with Directional, working in mahogany and rare Mozambique woods, and integrating abstract carving motifs in his cabinet fronts and table pedestals. Soon afterward, Coffey established a woodworking school and apprenticeships at his Vermont farm. In 1986, he moved to Massachusetts, and, in 1991, he founded a second woodworking school, this one much larger.
Coffey sold his successful Massachusetts school to his staff in 1997 in order to focus on his furniture, as his reputation and client base had grown considerably. His profile reached greater heights in 2003, when a rocking chair called Aphrodite that Coffey had designed more than two decades earlier sold at auction for nearly $50,000. The sale sparked the interest of buyers and collectors worldwide and resulted in a slew of new commissions. Today Coffey continues to make sculptural furniture with a team of woodworkers in his Massachusetts studio.
- ShippingRetrieving quote...Ships From: New York, NY
- Return PolicyThis item cannot be returned.
- Michael Coffey, "Titan" Monumental Bar Cabinet, United States, 1978By Michael CoffeyLocated in New York, NYThis sculptural cabinet is carved from solid, 4-inch thick Mahogany, and weighs 900 lbs. It is divided in two halves. One half is a door, which swings out on hidden hinges and concealed casters. The other half contains revolving shelves...Category
Late 20th Century American Dry BarsMaterials
- Michael Coffey, Ebbtide I, Wall-Mounted Cabinet, United States, 2020By Michael CoffeyLocated in New York, NYA sculptural cabinet carved in solid Mozambique. Coffey debuted this style of carving at Directional Furniture in New York, in 1972. In the 90’s he revived it, ...Category
21st Century and Contemporary American CabinetsMaterials
- Michael Coffey, "Jacob's Ladder, " Modular Bookscase, United States, 1973By Michael CoffeyLocated in New York, NYA black walnut etagere with four adjustable shelves, finished to a satin sheen. First created in Massachusetts by master craftsman Michael Coffey, and fabricated by the artist in 201...Category
21st Century and Contemporary American ShelvesMaterials
- Michael Coffey, "Megalith, " Round Coffee Table, United States, 2017By Michael CoffeyLocated in New York, NYThis sculptural table is carved into a flowing arrangement from solid, three and a half inch walnut, and features double doors that open up onto an interior cabinet with a revolving ...Category
21st Century and Contemporary American Coffee and Cocktail TablesMaterials
- Michael Coffey, "Jacob's Ladder, " Modular Bookcase, United States, 1973By Michael CoffeyLocated in New York, NYA black walnut étagère with four adjustable shelves, finished to a satin sheen. First created in Massachusetts by master craftsman Michael Coffey, and fabricated by the artist in 201...Category
Vintage 1970s American ShelvesMaterials
- Michael Coffey, Satan's Tongue, Side Table, United States, 1982By Michael CoffeyLocated in New York, NYMichael Coffey blurs the line between carpenter and sculptor. A self-taught master with a career over fifty years in the making, Coffey has consistently broken the boundaries of styl...Category
Vintage 1980s American Side TablesMaterials
- Large Abstract Galaxy Style Metal Wall Sculpture Contemporary ModernLocated in Keego Harbor, MIThis large Abstract Galaxy Style Metal Wall Sculpture is a contemporary modern masterpiece that takes inspiration from the cosmos to create a mesmerizing visual experience. Crafted w...Category
Late 20th Century Wall-mounted SculpturesMaterials
- Morsa Aluminium Galaxy SculptureBy Marzia BoaglioLocated in Milan, ITStriking a balance between sculpture and painting, this impressive aluminium wall panel designed by Marzia Boaglio merges tradition with new technologies and materials. The striking ...Category
2010s Italian Decorative ArtMaterials
- Walnut Gazelle Wall SculpturesLocated in Stamford, CTPair of Mid-Century Modern Gazelle wall sculptures in walnut, circa 1950s. Fully restored.Category
Mid-20th Century American Mid-Century Modern Wall-mounted SculpturesMaterials
- Michael Hough Abstract Ceramic Wall Sculpture, 1990By Michael HoughLocated in San Francisco, CAFantastic Memphis-style ceramic wall sculpture by artist, Michael Hough c1990, titled, “Megalopolised”. (47” x 21” x 3.5”) Hough has been creating ceramic pottery and steel sculpt...Category
1990s American Post-Modern Wall-mounted SculpturesMaterials
- "Historic Flags of the United States" ZHANG Boju & ZHANG XinzengLocated in West Palm Beach, FLZHANG Boju & ZHANG Xinzeng (XIX-XX) A Mixed Media Wall Installation: Titled: "Historic Flags of the United States" each bears an inscription on verso...Category
20th Century Wall-mounted SculpturesMaterials
- "Linear II" Original Metal Wall SculptureBy KaroLocated in Glendale, CAModern, 3D, architecturally inspired wall sculpture. Each piece is hand created by the artist Karo Martirosyan in his studio in Los Angeles. With a background in architecture, the ar...Category
2010s American Wall-mounted SculpturesMaterials
Recently ViewedView All
Michael Coffey Stirs Emotions with Works Like His Satan’s Tongue Table
Drawing on both artistry and clever engineering, the master craftsman imbues his pieces with movement and drama.
Inspired by the Cosmos, Sandra Nunnerley’s Nova Table Has a Futuristic Feel
The designer’s innovative use of an unexpected material gives this console a lift.