Hermes Vintage Cuff
View Similar Items
- Want more images or videos?Request additional images or videos from the seller
Hermes Vintage Cuff
- Place of OriginFrance
- Date of Manufacture1980's
- ConditionPre-owned, excellent condition next-to-new, hardly used, superb throughout.
- Seller LocationLondon, GB
- Reference NumberSeller: GO-5501stDibs: AU12080233645
About the Designer
For Hermès, what began as a maker of leather equestrian goods for European noblemen would eventually grow into one of the most storied fashion labels in the world. In 1837, German-born French entrepreneur Thierry Hermès opened a saddle and harness purveyor in Paris. Gradually, the house extended into accessories and luggage for its riders, and today, in paying homage to its origins, the family-run luxury brand resurfaces horse motifs in everything from clothing and modernist jewelry to pillows and handbags.
The first top-handled bag ever produced by Hermès was the Haut à courroies, which made its debut in 1892. A tall bag secured with a folded leather flap (fastened with bridle-inspired straps), it was designed to transport riding boots and a harness. As the world made the switch from horse to automobile, the bag adapted, becoming a multifunctional travel satchel instead of a designated saddlebag. Today, 120 years later, the HAC remains in Hermès’s line — and its distinctive flap and clasping straps have laid the groundwork for some of the house’s other iconic bags.
In the 1930s, Robert Dumas (son-in-law to Émile-Maurice Hermès, Thierry’s grandson) designed a smaller, trapezoidal take on the flap bag with a handle and two side straps. Later, actress Grace Kelly, then engaged to Prince Rainier of Monaco, is said to have used one of these bags to conceal her pregnancy during the 1950s. Because she was photographed constantly, the coverage catapulted her handbag to international popularity. In 1977, Hermès officially renamed the model for her, and the Kelly bag was born. Each Kelly bag takes between 18 and 25 hours to produce, and its 680 hand stitches owe solely to one Hermès artisan.
Robert Dumas was also responsible for another one of the brand’s most iconic offerings: the launch of its first silk scarf on the occasion of Hermès’s 100th anniversary in 1937. Based on a woodblock designed by Dumas and printed on Chinese silk, the accessory was an immediate hit.
Today, vintage Hermès scarves, typically adorned in rich colors and elaborate patterns, serve many functions, just as they did back then. Well-heeled women wear it on their heads, around their necks and, in a genius piece of cross-promotion, tied to the straps of their Hermès bags. Kelly even once used one as a sling for her broken arm.
In 1981, Robert Dumas’s son Jean-Louis Dumas, then Hermès chairman, found himself sitting next to French actress and musician Jane Birkin on a plane, where she was complaining about finding a suitable carryall for the necessary accoutrements of motherhood. After the two travelers were properly introduced, Birkin helped design Jean-Louis’s most famous contribution to the Hermès canon: the Birkin bag, a roomy, square catchall with the HAC’s trademark leather flap top and the addition of a lock and key. Owing to the brand’s legendary commitment to deft, handcrafted construction, the Birkin is an investment that is coveted by collectors everywhere.
While the Kelly and Birkin may be standouts, gracing the arms of everyone from royal heiresses to hip-hop stars in the past few decades, the handbags are but a small part of Hermès’s fashion offerings. Since the 1920s, the brand has produced some of the most desirable leather goods in the world. There’s the Constance bag, a favorite of Jacqueline Kennedy, the recently relaunched 1970s-era Evelyne and, on the vintage market, a slew of designs dating back to the 1920s.
- Hermès Green Les Sangles Maxi Square blanketBy HermèsLocated in London, GBThis stunning 100% wool blanket comes in a royal green and turquoise blue with a fabulous abstract Hermès pattern. Knitted construction. Finished edge. Colour: Green/ Blue Composit...Category
21st Century and Contemporary French Textiles and Quilts
- Hermès Naissance d'une Silk ScarfBy HermèsLocated in London, GBCrafted in France from the finest silk, this pre-owned Hermès Naissance d'une Silk Scarf features a lightweight construction, a square shape and a handwritten design. This versatile ...Category
21st Century and Contemporary Scarves
- Customised Bandana Print Hermès Kelly 28By HermèsLocated in London, GBThis one of a kind Hermès Kelly 28 in Box Leather features a white intricate bandana print and a Twilly. The bag is customized and the stencil is not original to the piece. Its black...Category
20th Century British Top Handle Bags$24,500Free Shipping
- Hermes J. Metz 'Les Sangles' Silk ScarfBy HermèsLocated in London, GBCrafted in France from the finest silk, this pre-owned scarf by Hermès was designed in 1985 by Joachim Metz. The multi-coloured 80s style scarf features a striped belt and buckle pat...Category
21st Century and Contemporary French Scarves$510Free Shipping
- Hermes 'Citrouilles et Coloquintes' Silk ScarfBy HermèsLocated in London, GBCrafted in France from the finest yellow silk, this pre-owned scarf by Hermès features lightweight construction, a square shape and fruit print motifs. This piece was designed by Val...Category
21st Century and Contemporary French Scarves$700Free Shipping
- Hermès Rose Azalee Kelly CutBy HermèsLocated in London, GBA sought after piece, this supple swift leather 2021 Rose Azalee Kelly Cut Clutch bag from Hermès features tonal stitching, front straps and a top flat handle. The toggle closure is ...Category
21st Century and Contemporary Top Handle Bags$16,380Free Shipping
- Hermes Rigid Bracelet in 18 Carat Yellow Gold and Line of DiamondsBy HermèsLocated in Paris, FRHERMES Rigid Bracelet in 18 carat yellow Gold and Diamonds HERMES rigid opening Bracelet in 18 Carat yellow Gold set at the opening of a line of 16 Diamonds for about 0.8 carats. Art...Category
1990s French Cuff BraceletsMaterials
Diamond, 18k Gold$12,747Free Shipping
- Hermès Postage Stamps Enamel Bangle BraceletBy HermèsLocated in New York, NYAuthentic Hermès Paris bangle features multi-colored enamel work with a postage stamp theme. Signed Hermès Paris, Made in Austria, +K. Bracelet measure 1 1/2 inches in width, 8 1/4 i...Category
Early 2000s Contemporary Cuff Bracelets$650Free Shipping
- Hermès 'Clic H' Narrow BraceletBy HermèsLocated in New York, NYAuthentic Hermès Clic H narrow bracelet crafted in black enamel with gold-plated hardware. The bracelet measures .47 inches in width with an internal circumference of 7 inches. Sign...Category
2010s Contemporary Cuff BraceletsMaterials
Gold Plate$500Free Shipping
- Hermes Horse Head Gold Bangle BraceletBy HermèsLocated in Feasterville, PAA magnificent Hermes bangle depicting a horse head and mane in 18k yellow gold. The bracelet weighs 117.3 grams. Sku: 916Category
1990s French BanglesMaterials
18k Gold, Yellow Gold, Gold$35,000Free Shipping
- Hermès Fuchsia Shiny Mississippiensis Alligator Collier De Chien T2By HermèsLocated in Bishop's Stortford, HertfordshireHermès FUCHSIA SHINY MISSISSIPPIENSIS ALLIGATOR COLLIER DE CHIEN T2 CONDITION NOTES The exterior is in very good condition with light signs of use. The hardware is in very good cond...Category
21st Century and Contemporary French Modern Cuff Bracelets$1,676Free Shipping
- Hermès Étrusque Lizard Leather Kelly Dog Bracelet T2By HermèsLocated in Bishop's Stortford, HertfordshireHermès ÉTRUSQUE LIZARD LEATHER KELLY DOG BRACELET T2 CONDITION NOTES The exterior in is exceptional condition with no signs of use. The hardware is in exceptional condition with min...Category
21st Century and Contemporary French Modern Cuff Bracelets$800Free Shipping
Recently ViewedView More
The Stories behind the Most Famous Luxury Fashion Logos
From Chanel to YSL, the logos of some legacy fashion houses spark instant brand recognition and have come to symbolize a kind of luxury that feels at once aspirational and attainable.
How to Spot a Fake Hermès Birkin Bag
The iconic Birkin bag is much coveted — and often copied. Find out how to tell the real deal from a convincing fake. Of course, you don't have to worry about this on 1stDibs, where every seller is highly vetted.