Chanel Vintage Gripoix Brooch Multicolor
About the Item
- Dimensions:Width: 2.5 in (63.5 mm)Length: 3 in (76.2 mm)
- Place of Origin:France
- Period:21st Century
- Date of Manufacture:1980
- Condition:Repaired: minor soldering in the back. Wear consistent with age and use.
- Seller Location:West Hollywood, CA
- Reference Number:Seller: CHA0920471stDibs: LU478317374502
In the years following the opening of her modest millinery shop, Gabrielle "Coco" Chanel became a pivotal designer of both fashionable casual wear and Paris haute couture as well as an icon and arbiter of 20th-century style with her bob haircut and pearls. Today vintage Chanel handbags, jackets and evening dresses are among the most sought-after clothing and accessories for fashion lovers all over the world.
The first Chanel shop was established in 1910 in Paris on rue Cambon by the young milliner Gabrielle Chanel (1883–1971), who had picked up the nickname “Coco” while working as a club singer. The boutique drew the attention of the Parisian fashion elite who popularized her wide-brimmed Chanel Modes hats. Soon she added a sportswear store in the Normandy resort town of Deauville, where Coco set the tone for her defining sense of style — traditionally masculine garments reimagined for feminine shapes, made from simple jersey fabric.
Effortless and elegant, Chanel's designs promoted comfort and grace in women’s wear that had been dominated in the previous century by complicated layers of fabric and cumbersome corsets. She followed this success with a couture house, opened in 1915 in Biarritz.
But Chanel was not born into a life of glamour. Following the death of her mother, her father left her in an orphanage where she lived until the age of 18. It was there that she learned to sew as well as appreciate the classic pairing of black and white as worn by the nuns. In 1926, she introduced her first little black dress, reclaiming a color that had once been reserved for mourning and working-class women. That same decade, she debuted her perfume, Chanel No. 5, as well as the Chanel suit with a fitted skirt, inspired by the boxy lines of men’s clothing and employing a sporty tweed.
Chanel closed her fashion operations during World War II, then returned to the industry in 1954 to design for the functional needs of modern women. Structure and wearability endured in all of Chanel’s clothing and accessories, like the quilted leather 2.55 handbag introduced in 1955 with its gold-chain shoulder strap that freed up a woman’s hands. Chanel's collarless jacket reacted against the constricting styles of Christian Dior's New Look, replacing them with a design that was timeless, an instant classic. The 1957 two-tone slingback pumps had a practical heel height while offering a bold statement in the black tip of the shoes.
After Coco Chanel died in 1971, the brand underwent several changes in leadership, including fashion designer Karl Lagerfeld, who took over as artistic director in 1983. Over the years, the company has continued to innovate, such as expanding into ready-to-wear fashion in 1978 and, in 2002, establishing a subsidiary company — Paraffection — dedicated to preserving the heritage skills of fashion artisan workshops. The House of Chanel still operates its flagship on rue Cambon in Paris, where it all began.
- ShippingRetrieving quote...Ships From: West Hollywood, CA
- Return Policy
This item cannot be returned.
- Chanel Champagne Gold Leather CC Pin NIBBy ChanelLocated in West Hollywood, CAChanel brand new champagne gold chain logo pin with black woven leather. Collection 2022 V. Original pouch, Box and ribbon.Category
21st Century and Contemporary French BroochesFree Shipping
- Chanel BNIB Silver CC Logo Round PinBy ChanelLocated in West Hollywood, CAChanel brand new silver tone round cc logo pin. Collection cruise 2022. Comes with original dust cover , box and ribbon.Category
21st Century and Contemporary French BroochesMaterials
- Chanel Yellow Gripoix Logo PinBy ChanelLocated in West Hollywood, CAChanel Pin with Yellow gripoix in form of the CC logo. In excellent condition.Category
21st Century and Contemporary Italian BroochesMaterials
Base MetalFree Shipping
- 1980's Yves Saint Laurent YSL Starburst Gold & Pearl BroochBy Yves Saint LaurentLocated in West Hollywood, CAYves Saint Laurent large starburst pin with 4 pearl design. Comes with velvet pouch or box.Category
Vintage 1980s Italian Brooches
- Antique Victorian Table Cut Diamond and Coral Arrow Brooch, Cupids Arrow BroochLocated in Rottedam, NLA rare and beautifully preserved antique Victorian brooch in solid 18 ct gold. This unique brooch comes from France and is hallmarked accordingly with an Eagle Head and Masters mark....Category
Antique Mid-19th Century French High Victorian Necklace EnhancersMaterials
Coral, Diamond, 18k Gold
- Rare Victorian 15ct Rose Gold Coral and Diamond Snake Shaped Stick Tie PinLocated in St Helens, GBA superb mid Victorian period stick tie pin. Designed with an entwined gold snake in 15 carat rose gold. The snake head set with two rose cut diamond chips for eyes surrounding a sin...Category
Antique 19th Century British Late Victorian BroochesMaterials
Coral, Diamond, Rose Gold
- Antique 15ct Gold Coral Enamel and Diamond Brooch c1880Located in St Helens, GBA beautiful true antique brooch circa 1880. Solid 15 carat yellow gold example. A brooch with oval shaped coral to centre with blue enamel and four old cut diamond border. 3.4 grams,...Category
Antique 19th Century BroochesMaterials
Coral, Diamond, Gold, Enamel
- Antique 18ct Gold and Hand Carved Coral Pig BroochLocated in St Helens, GBA superb vintage brooch. A finely carved piece in the form of a pig. Mounted into a solid 18 carat yellow gold claw setting and back. CONDITION ; Excellent. Crisp pattern., finely c...Category
20th Century BroochesMaterials
- René Boivin Sapphire “Feuille” BroochBy Rene BovinLocated in New York, NYIn the 1930s, the creative women at the House of René Boivin returned to naturalistic themes—like this blue sapphire "Feuille," or "Leaf," brooch—as many mainstream jewelers were looking elsewhere for inspiration. Madame Jeanne Boivin brought back armfuls of leaves from her long walks in the forest, and encouraged designer Juliette Moutard...Category
Vintage 1930s French Art Deco BroochesMaterials
Sapphire, Blue Sapphire, Gold, 18k Gold
- Miriam Haskell Circular Pearl BroochBy Miriam HaskellLocated in New York, NYMiriam Haskell brooch with signature large baroque faux pearl and small baroque pearls wired to form a bar pin. An additional wired pearl surround encircles the brooch. The faux baro...Category
Vintage 1950s American BroochesMaterials
Gilt MetalFree Shipping
Recently ViewedView All
With a Wink, Karl Lagerfeld Sent This Egg-Carton-Shaped Chanel Bag Down the Runway
For the brand’s 2014–15 ready-to-wear show in Paris, the designer was inspired by a most unexpected place: the supermarket.
This Vintage Chanel Fur Muff Is Après-Ski Chic
It might not be as practical as a pair of mittens, but for something that looks this good, practicality really doesn't matter.
The 1stDibs PromiseLearn More
Expertly Vetted Sellers
Confidence at Checkout
Trusted Global Delivery