- Want more images or videos?Request additional images or videos from the seller
Elizabeth Locke Baroque Pearl Black Venetian Glass 18 Karat Yellow Brooch
Shipping & Returns
- ShippingShips From: Philadelphia, PA
- Return Policy
A return for this item may be initiated within 3 days of delivery.
About the Designer
Venetian-glass intaglios, ancient Greek and Roman coins, antique porcelain buttons and other treasures that Elizabeth Locke collects from around the world all inspire and are incorporated into her earrings, necklaces and other handmade designs.
The Virginia-based jeweler began her journey as a collector after she’d already launched her namesake jewelry line, and her assemblage of micromosaics, which are essentially miniature plaques composed of enameled-glass tesserae, were the subject of the 2020–21 exhibition “A Return to the Grand Tour: Micromosaic Jewels from the Collection of Elizabeth Locke” at the Virginia Museum of Fine Arts.
“They’re very hard to find, and you never know where you’ll see them,” Locke explains of micromosaics, the magnificent, miniature works for which she’s had to navigate lesser-known antique shops and auctions and build relationships with private dealers in Europe.
All of Locke’s imaginative jewelry pieces see an integration of rare and eclectic materials, the kind that might’ve been amassed during a 19th-century Grand Tour of Europe, when these coming-of-age journeys had long been popular (mostly for wealthy European men). Working in a neoclassical style, Locke references history with a modern approach for her moonstone earrings, gold-link bracelets, Venetian-glass pendants and other distinctive accessories. As she told W magazine, “Jewelry is designed for the era in which it is worn.”
In 1988, as an editor for Town & Country, Locke traveled to Bangkok to write about making jewelry. Unexpectedly, she found her niche. Upon her return home, Locke enrolled in the Gemological Institute of America and began sketching ideas. By 1990, her tourmaline ring — crafted with the goldsmiths she had met in Bangkok and who she would continue to collaborate with over the following decades — landed the cover of W.
Locke’s handmade, 19-karat-gold designs give one-of-a-kind antiquities new meaning in the 21st century. Not one to follow trends, Locke prefers designs that express a unique vision. “I know what I can do and I know what I feel comfortable doing, and I stick to it,” she has said.
Find a collection of Elizabeth Locke’s jewelry on 1stDibs.
- Elizabeth Locke Moonstone Venetian Glass Mother-of-pearl 18 Karat Gold PendantBy Elizabeth LockeLocated in Philadelphia, PAPendant brooch centers a Venetian glass cameo - colorless and backed by iridescent mother-of-pearl. Depicting the Roman goddess Flora with flowing gown and her icons - a flower and v...Category
Vintage 1980s Contemporary BroochesMaterials
Moonstone, Pearl, Gold, 18k Gold, Yellow Gold
- Elizabeth Locke Rhodolite Garnet Tourmaline Iolite 18 Karat Gold Maltese CrossBy Elizabeth LockeLocated in Philadelphia, PAPendant brooch is designed as a puffed form maltese cross with a strongly hammered finish. Centering a sugarloaf cabochon rhodolite garnet measuring approximately 10.5 x 10.5 mm - ey...Category
21st Century and Contemporary Contemporary BroochesMaterials
Pearl, Tourmaline, Rhodolite, Garnet, Iolite, Yellow Gold, Gold, 18k Gold
- Elizabeth Locke Vintage Coin 18 Karat Gold Enhancer Pendant MedallionBy Elizabeth LockeLocated in Philadelphia, PAPendant is designed as a round form centering an ancient style coin with a cameo of a pegasus Reverse depicts a cameo of the Greek goddess Athena in profile wearing a helmet Featur...Category
Vintage 1980s Contemporary Pendant NecklacesMaterials
18k Gold, Gold, Yellow Gold, Silver
- Elizabeth Locke Carnelian Venetian Glass Mother-Of-Pearl 19 Karat Gold Medusa EnBy Elizabeth LockeLocated in Philadelphia, PANecklace is designed as strand of 8.0 mm round carnelian beads suspending octagonal enhancer pendant Beads are well matched and translucent brownish red in color - deeply saturated ...Category
Late 20th Century Contemporary Pendant NecklacesMaterials
Carnelian, Pearl, Yellow Gold, Gold
- Elizabeth Locke Citrine Smokey Quartz Carnelian Mother-of-Pearl 19 Karat PendantBy Elizabeth LockeLocated in Philadelphia, PAEnhancer pendant is designed as a stylized Maltese cross with a strongly hammered finish. Centering a cushion shaped citrine cabochon measuring approximately 13.0 x13.0 mm - eye clea...Category
21st Century and Contemporary Contemporary Pendant NecklacesMaterials
Carnelian, Citrine, Quartz, Gold, Yellow Gold
- Elizabeth Locke Vintage Peridot 18 Karat Yellow Gold EarringsBy Elizabeth LockeLocated in Philadelphia, PAEarrings center bezel set 10.0 mm round cut peridots - transparent and medium lime green in color Accented by a fluted hammered gold surround Completed by hinged omega backs with o...Category
Vintage 1980s Contemporary Clip-on EarringsMaterials
Peridot, Gold, 18k Gold, Yellow Gold
You May Also Like
21st Century and Contemporary Modern Brooches
Vintage 1960s French Retro Brooches
Pearl, Gold, 18k Gold, Yellow Gold
Antique Late 19th Century Dutch Victorian Brooches
Pearl, Natural Pearl, Oriental Pearl, Gold, 18k Gold, Yellow Gold
Vintage 1960s French Retro Brooches
Pearl, Cultured Pearl, Gold, 18k Gold, Yellow Gold
Vintage 1920s French Art Deco Brooches
Pearl, Natural Pearl, Diamond, White Diamond, Gold, 18k Gold, White Gold...
Antique Late 19th Century French Napoleon III Brooches
Pearl, Natural Pearl, Turquoise, Diamond, White Diamond, Gold, 18k Gold,...
Antique 1890s French Art Nouveau Brooches
Pearl, Natural Pearl, Ruby, Gold, 18k Gold, Yellow Gold
Antique 1880s French Napoleon III Brooches
Diamond, White Diamond, Pearl, Gold, 18k Gold, Yellow Gold
Antique Early 1900s French Art Nouveau Brooches
Pearl, Natural Pearl, Diamond, White Diamond, Gold, 18k Gold, Yellow Gold
1990s French More Jewelry
Diamond, Pearl, 18k Gold, Yellow Gold
Recently ViewedView More
The 1stDibs PromiseLearn More
Expertly Vetted Sellers
Confidence at Checkout
Trusted Global Delivery