Items Similar to King George III Vauxhall Glass Commemorative Brooch View More
King George III Vauxhall Glass Commemorative Brooch
Rarely seen George III commemorative brooch with George III in profile at the center adorned with a border of blue and green Vauxhall glass. This historical brooch was thought to have been made to celebrate George III's recovery from porphyria in 1789. The individual pieces of Vauxhall glass are positioned flat against the metal, as is appropriate to the genre. Other details relating to the construction of the brooch are also consistent with a genuine Georgian era brooch, such as the pin extending appropriately beyond the length of the brooch and the catch, which is in a curved "C" shape. With its historical significance and beauty, this brooch is a showstopper. A note about Vauxhall glass: Vauxhall glass is a blanket term that refers to a type of jewelry made by the Vauxhall Glass Co, an industrial mirror glass factory located near Vauxhall Gardens on the outskirts of London. The original factory began in the 17th century and continued into the Victorian age. Ever resourceful as the Georgians were, the owners employed jewelry artisans as a way of utilizing the leftover shards from their main industry which was the production of mirror glass. The result was these wonderful pieces of handcrafted jewelry. The rich colors, expert craftsmanship, and fine quality mirror glass give Vauxhall glass its distinctive beauty.
- In the Style Of
- Place of OriginUnited Kingdom
- Date of Manufacture1789
- Condition DetailsMissing a few pieces of blue glass at the border (visible in photo).
- WearWear consistent with age and use. Minor losses.
- DimensionsW 1 in. x D 1.5 in.W 25.4 mm x D 38.1 mm
- Length1.5 in. (38.1 mm)
- Seller LocationBaltimore, MD
- Reference NumberLU2518404772
Buyer Protection Guaranteed
Our Promise To You: If you're not happy with the way an item arrived, we'll work with you and the seller to reach an optimal resolution. Read more
Shipping, Returns & Payment
- ShippingFree ShippingStandardto anywhere in the world, arrives in 7-9 days.Delivered by a parcel delivery service such as UPS, FedEx, or DHL.Shipping methods are determined by item size, type, fragility and specific characteristics.Shipping costs are calculated based on carrier rates, delivery distance and packing complexity.
- Return Policy
This item can be returned within 7 days of delivery.View details
- Online Payment Methods1stdibs accepts the following payment methods
- Item InvoiceGenerate an invoice that you can customize and print.
About the Seller
5 / 5
1stdibs seller since 2011
Typical response time: 5 hours
Located in Baltimore, MD
More From This Seller
Antique Vauxhall Glass Butterfly Brooch
Antique Early 19th Century Georgian Brooches
Antique Vauxhall Glass Fly Earrings
Antique Late 19th Century Victorian Drop Earrings
Antique Vauxhall Glass Drop Earrings
Antique 1840s Victorian Dangle Earrings
You May Also Like
George III Gold Flat Cut Foiled-Backed Almandin...
Antique Early 1800s George III Brooches
Victorian King Charles Spaniel Dog Micromosaic ...
Antique Late 19th Century Victorian Brooches
Price Upon Request
Napoleon III French Antique Diamond Corsage Brooch
Antique 1870s Napoleon III Brooches
Napoleon III Gold and Agate Cameo Brooch
Antique 1850s Napoleon III Brooches
Arthur King Brutalist Emerald Diamond Gold Pend...
Vintage 1970s Brooches
Antique Micro Mosaic 15 Karat Gold King Charles...
Antique 1860s Brooches
Napoleon III Fine Pearl Enamel Agate Gold Cameo...
Antique 19th Century Napoleon III Brooches