TIFFANY & CO Antique diamond pendant/brooch

Buyer Protection Guaranteed

About

A yellow gold and platinum pendant/brooch composed of a swirling symmetrical lobed form set with two central round old cut diamonds in a platinum claw settings, one at centre and one suspended from the bottommost point, the two with an approximate total weight of 0.50 carats, the remainder of the loops set with thirty smaller round old cut diamonds in platinum topped gold bead settings with an approximate total weight of 1.00 carats, the reverse mounted with a hinged pin with pressure fit safety clasp and a hinged circular loop, with an approximate combined diamond weight of 1.50 carats, marked TIFFANY & CO, and in a cream and gold box marked TIFFANY & CO/FIFTH AVENUE & 37TH STREET/NEW YORK/PARIS/LONDON.

Details

  • Stone
    Diamond
  • Condition
    Excellent
  • Seller Location
    London, United Kingdom
  • Reference Number
    JU11091218681

About Tiffany & Co.

Tiffany & Co. is one of the most prominent purveyors of luxury goods in the United States, and has long been an important arbiter of style in the design of diamond engagement rings. A young Franklin Delano Roosevelt proposed to his future wife, Eleanor, with a Tiffany ring in 1904. Vanderbilts, Whitneys, Astors and members of the Russian imperial family all wore Tiffany & Co. jewels. And Jacqueline Kennedy Onassis preferred Tiffany china for state dinners at the White House.

Although synonymous with luxury today, the firm started out rather modestly. Charles Lewis Tiffany and John B. Young founded it in Connecticut as a “stationery and fancy goods emporium” in 1837, at a time when European imports still dominated the nascent American luxury market. In 1853, Charles Tiffany — who in 1845 had launched the company’s famed catalog, the Blue Book, and with it, the firm’s signature robin’s-egg blue, which he chose for the cover — shifted the focus to fine jewelry. In 1868, Tiffany & Co. gained international recognition when it became the first U.S. firm to win an award for excellence in silverware at the Exposition Universelle in Paris. From then on, it belonged to the pantheon of American luxury brands.

At the start of the Gilded Age, in 1870, Tiffany & Co. opened its flagship store, described as a "palace of jewels" by the New York Times, at 15 Union Square West in Manhattan. Throughout this period, its designs for silver tableware, ceremonial silver, flatware and jewelry were highly sought-after indicators of status and taste. They also won the firm numerous accolades, including the grand prize for silverware at the Paris Exposition of 1878. Among the firm’s glittering creations from this time are masterworks of Art Nouveau jewelry, such as this delicate aquamarine necklace and this lavish plique-à-jour peridot and gold necklace, both circa 1900.

When Charles Lewis Tiffany died, in 1902, his son Louis Comfort Tiffany became the firm’s design director. Under his leadership, the Tiffany silver studio was a de facto design school for apprentice silversmiths, who worked alongside head artisan Edward C. Moore. The firm produced distinctive objects inspired by Japanese art and design, North American plants and flowers, and Native American patterns and crafts, adding aesthetic diversity to Tiffany & Co.’s distinguished repertoire.

Tiffany is also closely associated with diamonds, even lending its name to one particularly rare and exceptional yellow stone. The firm bought the Tiffany diamond in its raw state from the Kimberley mines of South Africa in 1878. Cut to create a 128.54-carat gem with an unprecedented 82 facets, it is one of the most spectacular examples of a yellow diamond in the world. In a broader sense, Tiffany & Co. helped put diamonds on the map in 1886 by introducing the American marketplace to the solitaire diamond design, which is still among the most popular engagement-ring styles. The trademark Tiffany® Setting raises the stone above the band on six prongs, allowing its facets to catch the light. A lovely recent example is this circa-2000 platinum engagement ring. Displaying a different design and aesthetic (but equally chic) is this exquisite diamond and ruby ring from the 1930s.

About the Seller

1stdibs seller since 2011

Typical response time: 8 hours

Located in London, GB

More from this Seller

Belle Époque natural pearl diamond pendant brooch
Belle Époque natural pearl diamond pendant brooc...
Belle Époque natural pearl and diamond pendant/brooch. An impressive convertible pendant/brooch, set to either side with two natural saltwater pearls and suspending four additional nat...
Marcus & Co. sapphire and diamond bow brooch, American, circa 1935.
Marcus & Co. sapphire and diamond bow brooch, Amer...
Sapphire and diamond bow brooch by Marcus & Co, American, circa 1935. A yellow gold and platinum bow form brooch set with one central row of twenty eight French cut sapphires in channel...
Antique heart shaped diamond Gold Platinum pendant/brooch
Antique heart shaped diamond Gold Platinum pendant...
Antique heart shape diamond pendant/brooch. Set with sixty five round old cut diamonds in open back grain and claw settings with a combined approximate weight of 7.50 carats, to a gentl...
Cartier Antique Diamond Bow Brooch, circa 1910
Cartier Antique Diamond Bow Brooch, circa 1910
Cartier
Cartier antique diamond bow brooch. Set to centre with a cushion shape old mine diamond in an open back millegrain setting with a weight of 0.15 carats, further adorned by eighty six cu...
Child & Child Rare Magnificent Diamond Platinum Pendant Brooch, circa 1900
Child & Child Rare Magnificent Diamond Platinum Pe...
Pendant brooch by Child & Child. A pendant/brooch in three detachable sections, the uppermost composed of an elongated octagon with inward bowed sides set with one central diamond in a ...
Antique diamond spray brooch, Germany, circa 1880.
Antique diamond spray brooch, Germany, circa 1880....
Antique diamond spray brooch. Set with one hundred and fifty eight round old cut diamonds in an open back cutdown and grain settings with an approximate combined weight of 15.00 carats,...
Antique English Victorian Diamond Crescent Brooch
Antique English Victorian Diamond Crescent Brooch
Antique diamond crescent brooch. Set with a round old cut diamond in an open back cut down setting with a weight of 0.60 carats, further set with twenty round old cut diamonds of gradua...
Boucheron Paris turquoise, lapis and diamond brooch, circa 1960.
Boucheron Paris turquoise, lapis and diamond brooc...
Boucheron
Turquoise, lapis and diamond brooch by Boucheron, Paris, circa 1960. A yellow gold and platinum clip brooch composed of a central star formation pavé set with round brilliant cut diamo...
Art Deco onyx, diamond and emerald cabochon brooch, circa 1925.
Art Deco onyx, diamond and emerald cabochon brooch...
Art Deco onyx, diamond and emerald cabochon brooch, circa 1925. A horizontally oriented symmetrical geometric form platinum brooch, pavé set with one hundred and six round brilliant cut...
Vintage Ruby and Diamond Bow Brooch, circa 1960
Vintage Ruby and Diamond Bow Brooch, circa 1960
Vintage ruby and diamond bow brooch. Centrally set with twelve rectangular baguette cut diamonds in open back channel settings with a combined weight of 1.30 carats, embellished with fo...
Boucheron Paris pearl and diamond brooch, French, circa 1920.
Boucheron Paris pearl and diamond brooch, French, ...
Boucheron
platinum brooch set with one central button shaped natural pearl with an approximate weight of 3.24 carats, set to a symmetrical geometric openwork body with central octagonal section s...
1740s Georgian Diamond Brooch
1740s Georgian Diamond Brooch
Georgian diamond brooch. Set with one hundred and ten rose and table cut diamonds of varying shapes and sizes, in closed back cut down settings with a total approximate diamond weight o...