- Want more images or videos?Request additional images or videos from the seller
Vintage Cartier Santos Tiger's Eye Swivel Back Cufflinks in 18k Rose Gold
- MetalGold,18k Gold,Rose Gold
- StoneQuartz,Tiger's Eye
- Stone CutCabochon
- Weight17.6 g
- DimensionsWidth: 0.6 in (15 mm)Length: 0.63 in (16 mm)
- Place of OriginUnknown
- Date of Manufacture2005
- ConditionWear consistent with age and use.
- Seller LocationLondon, GB
- Reference NumberSeller: 70-32-3011stDibs: LU639312528452
Shipping & Returns
- ShippingShips From: London, United Kingdom
- Return Policy
A return for this item may be initiated within 3 days of delivery.
About the Designer
For its extraordinary range of bracelets, watches, rings and other adornments, French luxury house Cartier is undeniably one of the most well known and internationally revered jewelers in the world among clients both existing and aspirational.
Perhaps 1847 was not the ideal time to open a new watchmaking and jewelry business, as the French Revolution was not kind to the aristocracy who could afford such luxuries. Nevertheless, it was the year Louis-François Cartier (1819–1904) — who was born into poverty — founded his eponymous empire, assuming control of the workshop of watchmaker Adolphe Picard, under whom he had previously been employed as an assistant. Of course, in the beginning, it was a relatively modest affair, but by the late 1850s, Cartier had its first royal client, Princess Mathilde Bonaparte, niece of Napoleon Bonaparte, who commissioned the jeweler to design brooches, earrings and other accessories.
Under the leadership of Louis-François’s son, Alfred, who took over in 1874, business boomed. Royalty around the world wore Cartier pieces, including Tsar Nicholas II of Russia, the Maharaja of Patiala and King Edward VII, who had 27 tiaras made by the jewelry house for his coronation in 1902 and issued Cartier a royal warrant in 1904. (Today, the British royal family still dons Cartier pieces; Kate Middleton, Duchess of Cambridge, regularly sports a Ballon Bleu de Cartier watch.)
Cartier’s golden years, however, began when Alfred introduced his three sons, Louis, Pierre and Jacques, to the business. The brothers expanded Cartier globally: Louis reigned in Paris, Pierre in New York and Jacques in London, ensuring their brand’s consistency at their branches across the world. The trio also brought in such talents as Charles Jacqueau and Jeanne Toussaint.
One of Cartier’s earliest major successes was the Santos de Cartier watch — one of the world's first modern wristwatches for men. (Previously, a large number of people were using only pocket watches.) Louis designed the timepiece in 1904 for his friend, popular Brazilian aviator Alberto Santos-Dumont, who wanted to be able to check the time more easily while flying.
Cartier’s other famous timepieces include the Tank watch, which was inspired by the linear form of military tanks during World War I, and the so-called mystery clocks. Invented by watchmaker and magician Jean-Eugène Robert-Houdin and later crafted exclusively for Cartier in the house’s workshop by watchmaker Maurice Couët, the mystery clocks were so named because the integration of glass dials on which the clocks’ hands would seemingly float as well as structures that are hidden away within the base give the illusion that they operate without machinery.
On the jewelry side of the business, Cartier’s internationally renowned offerings include the Tutti Frutti collection, which featured colorful carved gemstones inspired by Jacques’s trip to India and grew in popularity during the Art Deco years; the panthère motif, which has been incorporated into everything from brooches to rings; and the Love bracelet, a minimal, modernist locking bangle inspired by medieval chastity belts that transformed fine jewelry.
While the Cartier family sold the business following the death of Pierre in 1964, the brand continues to innovate today, renewing old hits and creating new masterpieces.
Based in London’s prestigious Burlington Arcade and recognized as one of Mayfair’s most knowledgeable jewelers, Susannah Lovis Jewellers has been serving clients for more than 20 years, offering an eclectic selection of fine antique and vintage pieces, with a focus on the Georgian, Victorian, Edwardian, and Art Deco periods. Its wide-ranging stock includes signed jewels from Cartier, Tiffany & Co. and Van Cleef & Arpels, as well as one-of-a-kind items like gold lion cufflinks and an Art Deco platinum and diamond tiara. Susannah Lovis also designs bespoke jewels, lovingly handcrafted by artists, and can remodel old items to suit new purposes and tastes. Additional services include valuations and repairs.
- Vintage Cartier Paris Snaffle Bar Cufflinks in Solid 18k Yellow GoldBy CartierLocated in London, GBA stylish pair of vintage Cartier snaffle bar cufflinks set in solid 18k yellow gold. These cufflinks display classic Cartier elegance with Art Deco inspired terminals to either en...Category
Vintage 1980s Retro CufflinksMaterials
Yellow Gold, Gold, 18k Gold$3,206Free Shipping
- Sapphire Eyed Badger Swivel Back Cufflinks Set in 18 Karat White GoldLocated in London, GBA sweet pair of sapphire eyed badger swivel back cufflinks set in 18k white gold. Each cufflink depicts the head of a badger and is made of solid 18k white gold. Each badger is then...Category
2010s British Modern CufflinksMaterials
Sapphire, Gold, 18k Gold, White Gold$2,174 Sale Price20% Off
- Vintage Panther Head Swivel Back Cufflinks in Platinum and GoldLocated in London, GBAn interesting pair of vintage panther head swivel back cufflinks set in platinum and gold. Each cufflink is comprised of a platinum but yellow gold-plated open work leopard head. ...Category
Early 2000s Unknown Retro CufflinksMaterials
Gold, 9k Gold, Gold Plate, Yellow Gold, Platinum$2,772Free Shipping
- Vintage Boucheron Lion Door Knocker Cufflinks Set in 18k Yellow GoldBy BoucheronLocated in London, GBA unique pair of vintage Boucheron lion knocker cufflinks set in 18k yellow gold. Each cufflink depicts a lion’s head holding a round door knocker handle within its mouth. Attached...Category
1990s Unknown Retro CufflinksMaterials
Gold, 18k Gold, Yellow Gold
- Vintage Bvlgari Signature Bar Link Cufflinks in 18k Yellow Gold and SteelBy BvlgariLocated in London, GBAn incredibly stylish pair of vintage Bvlgari signature disc cufflinks set in 18k yellow gold and stainless steel. From a now discontinued design in the current ‘Bvlgari Bvlgari’ co...Category
2010s Unknown Modern CufflinksMaterials
18k Gold, Yellow Gold, Steel$1,733Free Shipping
- Retro Bar Link Cufflinks Set in 18k Yellow GoldLocated in London, GBAn incredibly stylish pair of retro bar cufflinks set in 18k yellow gold. Each cufflink is composed of two retro scroll looking bars connects together via an articulated bar fittin...Category
Vintage 1980s Unknown Retro CufflinksMaterials
18k Gold, Yellow Gold
You May Also Like
20th Century French Cufflinks
Tiger's Eye, 18k Gold
Vintage 1970s French Retro Cufflinks
Tiger's Eye, Gold, 18k Gold, Yellow Gold
Vintage 1920s French Belle Époque Cufflinks
Tiger's Eye, Gold, 18k Gold, Yellow Gold
21st Century and Contemporary Hong Kong Modern Cufflinks
Diamond, Tiger's Eye
2010s Italian Cufflinks
Agate, Carnelian, Chalcedony, Hematite, Jade, Lapis Lazuli, Malachite, O...
2010s Italian Cufflinks
Ruby, Tiger's Eye, Yellow Gold, 18k Gold
Vintage 1970s Italian Cufflinks
Ruby, Tiger's Eye, 18k Gold
Vintage 1980s German Cufflinks
Ruby, Tiger's Eye, Gold
Early 2000s French Modern Cufflinks
Tiger's Eye, 18k Gold, Yellow Gold, Gold
20th Century American Cufflinks
Tiger's Eye, Gold
Recently ViewedView More
This 1950s Cartier Toi et Moi Ring Is a Summer Stunner
Made with Sardinian coral, this gem packs so much presence — and is perfect for poolside soirees.
Discover Why Islamic Art Is an Enduring Influence on Cartier Jewelry
Through both his collection and his innovative designs, Louis Cartier’s passion for Islamic continues to resonate.
The 1stDibs PromiseLearn More
Expertly Vetted Sellers
Confidence at Checkout
Trusted Global Delivery