Chanel quilted bag 2.55 motif earrings
View Similar Items
Chanel quilted bag 2.55 motif earrings
About the Designer
In the years following the opening of her modest millinery shop, Gabrielle "Coco" Chanel became a pivotal designer of both fashionable casual wear and Paris haute couture as well as an icon and arbiter of 20th-century style with her bob haircut and pearls. Today vintage Chanel handbags, jackets and evening dresses are among the most sought-after clothing and accessories for fashion lovers all over the world.
The first Chanel shop was established in 1910 in Paris on rue Cambon by the young milliner Gabrielle Chanel (1883–1971), who had picked up the nickname “Coco” while working as a club singer. The boutique drew the attention of the Parisian fashion elite who popularized her wide-brimmed Chanel Modes hats. Soon she added a sportswear store in the Normandy resort town of Deauville, where Coco set the tone for her defining sense of style — traditionally masculine garments reimagined for feminine shapes, made from simple jersey fabric.
Effortless and elegant, Chanel's designs promoted comfort and grace in women’s wear that had been dominated in the previous century by complicated layers of fabric and cumbersome corsets. She followed this success with a couture house, opened in 1915 in Biarritz.
But Chanel was not born into a life of glamour. Following the death of her mother, her father left her in an orphanage where she lived until the age of 18. It was there that she learned to sew as well as appreciate the classic pairing of black and white as worn by the nuns. In 1926, she introduced her first little black dress, reclaiming a color that had once been reserved for mourning and working-class women. That same decade, she debuted her perfume, Chanel No. 5, as well as the Chanel suit with a fitted skirt, inspired by the boxy lines of men’s clothing and employing a sporty tweed.
Chanel closed her fashion operations during World War II, then returned to the industry in 1954 to design for the functional needs of modern women. Structure and wearability endured in all of Chanel’s clothing and accessories, like the quilted leather 2.55 handbag introduced in 1955 with its gold-chain shoulder strap that freed up a woman’s hands. Chanel's collarless jacket reacted against the constricting styles of Christian Dior's New Look, replacing them with a design that was timeless, an instant classic. The 1957 two-tone slingback pumps had a practical heel height while offering a bold statement in the black tip of the shoes.
After Coco Chanel died in 1971, the brand underwent several changes in leadership, including fashion designer Karl Lagerfeld, who took over as artistic director in 1983. Over the years, the company has continued to innovate, such as expanding into ready-to-wear fashion in 1978 and, in 2002, establishing a subsidiary company — Paraffection — dedicated to preserving the heritage skills of fashion artisan workshops. The House of Chanel still operates its flagship on rue Cambon in Paris, where it all began.
- Large Silvertone and "Pearl" Earrings, Costume JewelryLocated in Stamford, CTLarge exotic silver and faux pearl earrings.Category
21st Century and Contemporary Indian Clip-on Earrings$250Free Shipping
- 20.00 Carat Citrine Black Enamel Gold Curved Clip Post EarringsLocated in Stamford, CT1960s Citrine Italian curved clip and post 18k yellow gold earrings with domed black enameling. Extra heavy and secure clip backs. Orange yellow genuine untreated cabochon...Category
Mid-20th Century Dangle EarringsMaterials
Citrine, Enamel, Yellow Gold, Gold, 18k Gold$4,195Free Shipping
- "Coral", "Pearl", and "Turquoise" Dangle EarringsLocated in Stamford, CTIntricate dangly earrings with faux coral, turquoise, and pearl stones.Category
Vintage 1950s American Clip-on Earrings$365Free Shipping
- Sculptural Three Disc Clip on Earrings 80'sLocated in North Miami, FLThis great pair of gold plated sculptural 3 disk earrings are clip on's. They are very in vogue now and look great on the ear. These are form the 80's. Very au courant. and perfect f...Category
Vintage 1970s American Modern Clip-on Earrings$365Free Shipping
- Sculptural Signed Cage and Square Dangle Clip On EarringsLocated in North Miami, FLThese unusual pair of clip on earrings have a number of great components going on. They are signed Varga . Gilt toned metal meets turquoise colored glass in the cage like form. They ...Category
Vintage 1980s American Modern Clip-on Earrings$395Free Shipping
- Miriam Haskell Dramatic Glass Enamel Pearl Dangle Hoop Clip on Earrings c 1960By Miriam HaskellLocated in University City, MOMiriam Haskell Dramatic glass enamel pearl dangle hoop clip-on earrings c 1960s The elegant costume earrings are designed with a circular oval shaped ring embellished with a band of Haskell's signature glass enamel pearls The upper section is designed with a wreath of tiny diamante crystals with a small luminous glass enamel pearl in the center. The midsection has a larger glass enamel baroque style pearl The upper top section of the oval ring of glass pearls is embellished with a cluster of tiny glittering diamante crystals The large scale dangle earrings makes a very elegant dramatic accessory...Category
Mid-20th Century American Baroque Revival Clip-on EarringsMaterials
Brass, Enamel$375 Sale Price / set21% OffFree Shipping
Recently ViewedView All
With a Wink, Karl Lagerfeld Sent This Egg-Carton-Shaped Chanel Bag Down the Runway
For the brand’s 2014–15 ready-to-wear show in Paris, the designer was inspired by a most unexpected place: the supermarket.
This Vintage Chanel Fur Muff Is Après-Ski Chic
It might not be as practical as a pair of mittens, but for something that looks this good, practicality really doesn't matter.
The 1stDibs PromiseLearn More
Expertly Vetted Sellers
Confidence at Checkout
Trusted Global Delivery