VINTAGE CHANEL SHELL MOTIF DANGLING EARRINGS
View Similar Items
VINTAGE CHANEL SHELL MOTIF DANGLING EARRINGS
About the Designer
In the years following the opening of her modest millinery shop, Gabrielle "Coco" Chanel became a pivotal designer of both fashionable casual wear and Paris haute couture as well as an icon and arbiter of 20th-century style with her bob haircut and pearls. Today vintage Chanel handbags, jackets and evening dresses are among the most sought-after clothing and accessories for fashion lovers all over the world.
The first Chanel shop was established in 1910 in Paris on rue Cambon by the young milliner Gabrielle Chanel (1883–1971), who had picked up the nickname “Coco” while working as a club singer. The boutique drew the attention of the Parisian fashion elite who popularized her wide-brimmed Chanel Modes hats. Soon she added a sportswear store in the Normandy resort town of Deauville, where Coco set the tone for her defining sense of style — traditionally masculine garments reimagined for feminine shapes, made from simple jersey fabric.
Effortless and elegant, Chanel's designs promoted comfort and grace in women’s wear that had been dominated in the previous century by complicated layers of fabric and cumbersome corsets. She followed this success with a couture house, opened in 1915 in Biarritz.
But Chanel was not born into a life of glamour. Following the death of her mother, her father left her in an orphanage where she lived until the age of 18. It was there that she learned to sew as well as appreciate the classic pairing of black and white as worn by the nuns. In 1926, she introduced her first little black dress, reclaiming a color that had once been reserved for mourning and working-class women. That same decade, she debuted her perfume, Chanel No. 5, as well as the Chanel suit with a fitted skirt, inspired by the boxy lines of men’s clothing and employing a sporty tweed.
Chanel closed her fashion operations during World War II, then returned to the industry in 1954 to design for the functional needs of modern women. Structure and wearability endured in all of Chanel’s clothing and accessories, like the quilted leather 2.55 handbag introduced in 1955 with its gold-chain shoulder strap that freed up a woman’s hands. Chanel's collarless jacket reacted against the constricting styles of Christian Dior's New Look, replacing them with a design that was timeless, an instant classic. The 1957 two-tone slingback pumps had a practical heel height while offering a bold statement in the black tip of the shoes.
After Coco Chanel died in 1971, the brand underwent several changes in leadership, including fashion designer Karl Lagerfeld, who took over as artistic director in 1983. Over the years, the company has continued to innovate, such as expanding into ready-to-wear fashion in 1978 and, in 2002, establishing a subsidiary company — Paraffection — dedicated to preserving the heritage skills of fashion artisan workshops. The House of Chanel still operates its flagship on rue Cambon in Paris, where it all began.
- Mother of Pearl Starfish 18K Yellow Gold Wire EarringsBy Valentin MagroLocated in New York, NYThe shimmer of the mother of pearl gives an ethereal essence as it illustrates starfish. Artisanship in the design includes softly curved arms and texture throughout. The total weigh...Category
2010s American Dangle EarringsMaterials
Pearl, Natural Pearl, 18k Gold, Yellow Gold$2,050Free Shipping
- Rarever 18K White Gold Diamond Rondelle Drop Hanging 4.21cts EarringsBy RAREVERLocated in London, GBWith their fluid form, these timeless earrings drape sensuously from the ear. Intricately crafted with 18 rondelles of graduating sizes and finished with 212 round brilliant cut diam...Category
21st Century and Contemporary British Contemporary Drop EarringsMaterials
Diamond, 18k Gold$15,543Free Shipping
- Must have Earrings 14k yellow gold Diamond Bar Dangle Earring DropBy Gregory Mikaelian & Sons, Inc.Located in Los Angeles, CADiamond Bar Dangle earring Drop, containing 80 round full cut diamonds of very fine quality weighing .90pts.Category
2010s American Contemporary Dangle EarringsMaterials
Diamond, 14k Gold$2,560 Sale Price / item20% OffFree Shipping
- 14 Karat White Gold Sapphire and Diamond Drop EarringsLocated in Los Angeles, CAThis elegant blue sapphire drop earrings features 8 pieces of round diamonds and 8 pieces of baguettes diamond. The earrings are crafted in a very classic design in 14k white gold. ...Category
Early 2000s American Modern Drop EarringsMaterials
Diamond, Sapphire, 14k Gold, White Gold$2,000 Sale Price20% OffFree Shipping
- "Art Deco Style" Earrings 14k White Gold with 2 Assher Cut Diamonds in a HaloBy Gregory Mikaelian & Sons, Inc.Located in Los Angeles, CABeautiful 14k white gold diamond and sapphire "Art Deco style" earrings. Specifications: main stone: 2 assher cut diamonds carat total weight: .1.04pts. color:G c...Category
2010s American Retro Drop EarringsMaterials
Diamond, 14k Gold, White Gold$7,600 Sale Price20% OffFree Shipping
- Opal Sapphire Diamond Drop EarringsBy Meghna JewelsLocated in Hoffman Estate, ILCast from 18-karat gold and sterling silver. These beautiful drop earrings are hand set with 4.86 carats Opal doublets, 2.5 sapphire and 4.18 carats of glimmering diamonds. FOLLOW ...Category
21st Century and Contemporary Contemporary Drop EarringsMaterials
Diamond, Opal, Sapphire, 18k Gold, Sterling Silver$4,560 Sale Price20% OffFree Shipping
Recently ViewedView All
With a Wink, Karl Lagerfeld Sent This Egg-Carton-Shaped Chanel Bag Down the Runway
For the brand’s 2014–15 ready-to-wear show in Paris, the designer was inspired by a most unexpected place: the supermarket.
This Vintage Chanel Fur Muff Is Après-Ski Chic
It might not be as practical as a pair of mittens, but for something that looks this good, practicality really doesn't matter.