Paloma Picasso for Tiffany & Co. Gold and Fire Opal Earrings
About the Item
- Stone Cut:
- Place of Origin:United States
- Date of Manufacture:1984
- Seller Location:Atlanta, GA
- Reference Number:Seller: ER220381stDibs: LU50519306752
Tiffany & Co.
Tiffany & Co. is one of the most prominent purveyors of luxury goods in the United States, and has long been an important arbiter of style in the design of diamond engagement rings. A young Franklin Delano Roosevelt proposed to his future wife, Eleanor, with a Tiffany ring in 1904. Vanderbilts, Whitneys, Astors and members of the Russian imperial family all wore Tiffany & Co. jewels. And Jacqueline Kennedy Onassis preferred Tiffany china for state dinners at the White House.
Although synonymous with luxury today, the firm started out rather modestly. Charles Lewis Tiffany and John B. Young founded it in Connecticut as a “stationery and fancy goods emporium” in 1837, at a time when European imports still dominated the nascent American luxury market. In 1853, Charles Tiffany — who in 1845 had launched the company’s famed catalog, the Blue Book, and with it, the firm’s signature robin’s-egg blue, which he chose for the cover — shifted the focus to fine jewelry. In 1868, Tiffany & Co. gained international recognition when it became the first U.S. firm to win an award for excellence in silverware at the Exposition Universelle in Paris. From then on, it belonged to the pantheon of American luxury brands.
At the start of the Gilded Age, in 1870, Tiffany & Co. opened its flagship store, described as a "palace of jewels" by the New York Times, at 15 Union Square West in Manhattan. Throughout this period, its designs for silver tableware, ceremonial silver, flatware and jewelry were highly sought-after indicators of status and taste. They also won the firm numerous accolades, including the grand prize for silverware at the Paris Exposition of 1878. Among the firm’s glittering creations from this time are masterworks of Art Nouveau jewelry, such as this delicate aquamarine necklace and this lavish plique-à-jour peridot and gold necklace, both circa 1900.
When Charles Lewis Tiffany died, in 1902, his son Louis Comfort Tiffany became the firm’s design director. Under his leadership, the Tiffany silver studio was a de facto design school for apprentice silversmiths, who worked alongside head artisan Edward C. Moore. The firm produced distinctive objects inspired by Japanese art and design, North American plants and flowers, and Native American patterns and crafts, adding aesthetic diversity to Tiffany & Co.’s distinguished repertoire.
Tiffany is also closely associated with diamonds, even lending its name to one particularly rare and exceptional yellow stone. The firm bought the Tiffany diamond in its raw state from the Kimberley mines of South Africa in 1878. Cut to create a 128.54-carat gem with an unprecedented 82 facets, it is one of the most spectacular examples of a yellow diamond in the world. In a broader sense, Tiffany & Co. helped put diamonds on the map in 1886 by introducing the American marketplace to the solitaire diamond design, which is still among the most popular engagement-ring styles. The trademark Tiffany® Setting raises the stone above the band on six prongs, allowing its facets to catch the light. A lovely recent example is this circa-2000 platinum engagement ring. Displaying a different design and aesthetic (but equally chic) is this exquisite diamond and ruby ring from the 1930s.
Shipping & Returns
- ShippingRetrieving quote...Ships From: Highlands, NC
- Return Policy
A return for this item may be initiated within 14 days of delivery.
- Paloma Picasso for Tiffany & Co. Carved Citrine and Gold EarringsBy Tiffany & Co.Located in Atlanta, GAPaloma Picasso created a few designs featuring beautiful carved gemstones in the mid 1980's This earring has a matched pair of carved citrine floral pod shaped drops suspended from a...Category
Late 20th Century American Contemporary Drop EarringsMaterials
Citrine, 18k Gold$5,750Free Shipping
- Paloma Picasso for Tiffany & Co. Citrine and Gold EarringsBy Tiffany & Co.Located in Atlanta, GAPaloma Picasso frames colored stones like natures art that they are. The heavy double bezel makes a simple chic statement. Approximately 7/8's of an inch in length.Category
21st Century and Contemporary American Contemporary Clip-on EarringsMaterials
Citrine, 18k Gold$4,775Free Shipping
- Paloma Picasso for Tiffany & Co. Gold and Black Onyx EarringsBy Tiffany & Co.Located in Atlanta, GAPaloma Picasso has created bold simple designs for Tiffany that are classic and collectable. Black onyx framed with a double bezel. Wearable & Chic. 15/16th of an inch.Category
Late 20th Century American Contemporary Clip-on EarringsMaterials
Onyx, 18k Gold$3,900Free Shipping
- Tiffany & Co. Paloma Picasso Gold Disc X EarringsBy Tiffany & Co.Located in Atlanta, GAOne of Tiffany's stable of "Stars" Paloma Picasso's big and bold beautifully textured 18k disc earrings with her iconic X motif front and center. 1 1...Category
Late 20th Century Italian Contemporary Clip-on EarringsMaterials
18k Gold$3,400Free Shipping
- Tiffany & Co. Paloma Picasso Gold Plume EarringsBy Tiffany & Co.Located in Atlanta, GAPaloma Picasso's signature designs have proven timeless. The elegant shape of a feather becomes a wearable flattering earring. Tiffany quality all the way. 1 1/8 inches in length.Category
Vintage 1980s American Contemporary Clip-on EarringsMaterials
18k Gold$2,475Free Shipping
- Tiffany & Co. Paloma Picasso Coral Diamond Gold EarringsBy Tiffany & Co.Located in Atlanta, GAThis is one of Paloma Picasso's truly classic designs created for Tiffany & Co. Deep rich orange coral is accented by a single brilliant cut diamond and framed with a double bezel. C...Category
Late 20th Century American Contemporary Clip-on EarringsMaterials
Coral, Diamond, 18k Gold
- Tiffany & Co. Paloma Picasso Amber Gold EarringsBy Tiffany & Co.Located in New York, NYAn unusual pair of earrings by Paloma Picasso, daughter of artist Pablo Picasso, designed exclusively for Tiffany and Co during the 1970s, composed by leaf shaped 18kt hammered yell...Category
Vintage 1970s American Modern Drop EarringsMaterials
Amber, 18k Gold$8,500Free Shipping
- Paloma Picasso for Tiffany & Co. Diamond Drop Gold Platinum EarringsBy Paloma Picasso for Tiffany & Co.Located in Beverly Hills, CAA pair of unusual drop earrings by Paloma Picasso for Tiffany & Co. The Paloma Picasso earrings crafted of 18k gold and platinum and feature diamonds. The earrings consist of gold dots and diamonds that are bezel set in platinum. Each of the dots is connected to a diamond by a tiny platinum wire. The diamonds are staged in the center of the earring. These earrings are beautifully made with the Tiffany & Co. signature quality. Being flat and light weight, they perfectly sit in an ear lobe. It’s a great piece that works well for a night out or to make your daily look dressier. About Paloma Picasso brand “Art was a language spoken around me all the time when I was growing up”. Being a child of two artists, Paloma Picasso fully expressed her creativity in jewelry making. Paloma Picasso’s talent was thriving in 1980s. She was just right on time with her direction and artistic energy. She came fresh from Paris to New York and started to work for Tiffany & Co. She immediately grasped the aesthetics of the New York street art. She used it as a visionary filter for her “Graffiti” collection in 1983. She also named museum visits and music concerts among her other inspiring things. Paloma Picasso jewelry...Category
Early 2000s Unknown Drop EarringsMaterials
Diamond, Gold, 18k Gold, Yellow Gold, Platinum$4,950 / setFree Shipping
- 18 Karat Yellow Gold Paloma Picasso Earrings for Tiffany & Co.By Paloma Picasso for Tiffany & Co.Located in Dallas, TXFrom famed designer Paloma Picasso for Tiffany & Co. these fun earrings are like a bolt of lightening! Please note, the backs are not original.Category
21st Century and Contemporary Drop EarringsMaterials
18k Gold, Yellow Gold$1,120 Sale Price20% OffFree Shipping
- Tiffany & Co Paloma Picasso Star Drop Earrings Diamonds and Yellow GoldBy Paloma Picasso for Tiffany & Co.Located in Tampa, FLTiffany & Co Paloma Picasso Star Drop Earrings Diamonds and Yellow Gold The earrings contain approximately .20 carats of round brilliant cut diamonds of E/F color and VVS-VS clarity...Category
2010s American Modern Drop EarringsMaterials
Diamond, 18k Gold, Yellow Gold$1,690Free Shipping
- Tiffany & Co. 18K Gold Platinum Paloma Picasso Diamond Scribble EarringsBy Paloma Picasso for Tiffany & Co.Located in Los Angeles, CATIFFANY & Co. 18K Gold Platinum Paloma Picasso Diamond Scribble Earrings Metal: 18K yellow gold and platinum Weight: 4.30 grams Measurement: 1 3/8" ...Category
Vintage 1980s American Drop EarringsMaterials
Diamond, 18k Gold, Platinum$1,800Free Shipping
- Paloma Picasso for Tiffany & Co. Gold Star EarringsBy Paloma Picasso for Tiffany & Co.Located in New York, NYPaloma Picasso for Tiffany & Co. 18 karat yellow gold earrings featuring star motif. Marked: Paloma Picasso / Tiffany & Co. / 750. Total weight: 10.0 grams. Width: 1.2 cm. Length: 3....Category
Late 20th Century Contemporary Stud EarringsMaterials
18k Gold, Yellow Gold$1,500Free Shipping
Recently ViewedView More
The Sparkling Legacy of Tiffany & Co. Explained, One Jewel at a Time
A gorgeous new book celebrates — and memorializes — the iconic jeweler’s rich heritage.
15 Scintillating Jewelry Watches to Elevate Your Holiday Style
Watchmakers have tucked their movements into all manner of precious baubles, from lapel pins to cocktail rings. The result is dazzling, wearable art that will get you to the party on time.
The 1stDibs PromiseLearn More
Expertly Vetted Sellers
Confidence at Checkout
Trusted Global Delivery