- Want more images or videos?Request additional images or videos from the seller
Cartier Vintage 14 Karat Gold Eight Day Accessory Desk Clock
- Weight117.2 g
- DimensionsHeight: 2.2 in (55.88 mm)Width: 2.18 in (55.38 mm)Depth: 1.25 in (31.75 mm)
- Place of OriginSwitzerland
- Date of Manufacture1954
- Seller LocationMiami, FL
- Reference NumberSeller: 4762011stDibs: LU412512192
Shipping & Returns
- ShippingRetrieving quote...Ships From: Miami, FL
- Return Policy
A return for this item may be initiated within 7 days of delivery.
About the Designer
For its extraordinary range of bracelets, watches, rings and other adornments, French luxury house Cartier is undeniably one of the most well known and internationally revered jewelers in the world among clients both existing and aspirational.
Perhaps 1847 was not the ideal time to open a new watchmaking and jewelry business, as the French Revolution was not kind to the aristocracy who could afford such luxuries. Nevertheless, it was the year Louis-François Cartier (1819–1904) — who was born into poverty — founded his eponymous empire, assuming control of the workshop of watchmaker Adolphe Picard, under whom he had previously been employed as an assistant. Of course, in the beginning, it was a relatively modest affair, but by the late 1850s, Cartier had its first royal client, Princess Mathilde Bonaparte, niece of Napoleon Bonaparte, who commissioned the jeweler to design brooches, earrings and other accessories.
Under the leadership of Louis-François’s son, Alfred, who took over in 1874, business boomed. Royalty around the world wore Cartier pieces, including Tsar Nicholas II of Russia, the Maharaja of Patiala and King Edward VII, who had 27 tiaras made by the jewelry house for his coronation in 1902 and issued Cartier a royal warrant in 1904. (Today, the British royal family still dons Cartier pieces; Kate Middleton, Duchess of Cambridge, regularly sports a Ballon Bleu de Cartier watch.)
Cartier’s golden years, however, began when Alfred introduced his three sons, Louis, Pierre and Jacques, to the business. The brothers expanded Cartier globally: Louis reigned in Paris, Pierre in New York and Jacques in London, ensuring their brand’s consistency at their branches across the world. The trio also brought in such talents as Charles Jacqueau and Jeanne Toussaint.
One of Cartier’s earliest major successes was the Santos de Cartier watch — one of the world's first modern wristwatches for men. (Previously, a large number of people were using only pocket watches.) Louis designed the timepiece in 1904 for his friend, popular Brazilian aviator Alberto Santos-Dumont, who wanted to be able to check the time more easily while flying.
Cartier’s other famous timepieces include the Tank watch, which was inspired by the linear form of military tanks during World War I, and the so-called mystery clocks. Invented by watchmaker and magician Jean-Eugène Robert-Houdin and later crafted exclusively for Cartier in the house’s workshop by watchmaker Maurice Couët, the mystery clocks were so named because the integration of glass dials on which the clocks’ hands would seemingly float as well as structures that are hidden away within the base give the illusion that they operate without machinery.
On the jewelry side of the business, Cartier’s internationally renowned offerings include the Tutti Frutti collection, which featured colorful carved gemstones inspired by Jacques’s trip to India and grew in popularity during the Art Deco years; the panthère motif, which has been incorporated into everything from brooches to rings; and the Love bracelet, a minimal, modernist locking bangle inspired by medieval chastity belts that transformed fine jewelry.
While the Cartier family sold the business following the death of Pierre in 1964, the brand continues to innovate today, renewing old hits and creating new masterpieces.
- 1950s Cartier Gold Eight Day Desk ClockBy CartierLocated in Miami, FLThis aesthetically captivating authentic circa 1950 Cartier eight-day desk clock is made with solid 14K yellow gold case. It is rendered in artfully textured gold, adding a glitteri...Category
Vintage 1950s Retro Desk AccessoriesMaterials
14k Gold$14,999Free Shipping
- Vintage 1940s Floral Limoges Diamond 18 Karat Gold BoxLocated in Miami, FLThis European vintage 1940's Hand engraved gold box is crafted in solid 18-karat yellow gold it can be used to store your business cards, pills or tobacco, weighing 170.0 grams of 18...Category
Vintage 1940s Swazi Retro Boxes and CasesMaterials
Diamond, 18k Gold$15,450Free Shipping
- 1970s Satin 14 Karat Yellow Gold Rectangle Dome Men’s CufflinksLocated in Miami, FLThese bold yet simple Vinatge cufflinksCirca late 1970'S are crafted in 14-karat yellow gold, weighing 17.5 grams and measuring 21mm x 12mm. Designed as rectangle pyramid shapes embe...Category
Vintage 1970s CufflinksMaterials
14k Gold, Yellow Gold$1,099Free Shipping
- M. Buccellati Vintage Diamond Ruby Sapphire 18k Gold Compact BoxBy Mario BuccellatiLocated in Miami, FLStand out with this vintage compact box from the known Mario Buccellati, from around the 1940s, is Italian-made and crafted completely in solid 18K yellow gold. Features a closure ...Category
Vintage 1950s Italian Retro Boxes and CasesMaterials
Diamond, Ruby, Sapphire, 18k Gold$29,999Free Shipping
- Vintage Piaget Onyx Rectangle 18 Karat Yellow Gold Unisex WatchBy PiagetLocated in Miami, FLCirca 1970’s designer Classy Piaget unisex watch crafted in solid 18-karat yellow gold. More Information on this watch Dial: Onyx Dial Sapphire Glass Dimensions: 25mm Weight: 67.6 g...Category
Vintage 1970s Wrist WatchesMaterials
Onyx, 18k Gold, Yellow Gold$9,799Free Shipping
- Cartier Vintage Snake 18k yellow gold CufflinksBy CartierLocated in Miami, FLThese Handsome Vintage CARTIER cufflinks were inspired in a snake motif and crafted in 18K yellow gold. Weighing approx. 21.9 grams and measuring appx. 22 x 20mm. Signed cartier...Category
Vintage 1950s European Retro CufflinksMaterials
Blue Sapphire, Yellow Gold$4,999Free Shipping
- Art Deco Agate and Enamel Desk Clock by Cartier, circa 1920By CartierLocated in Firenze, ITThe square-shaped agate case, with a round silver guilloché enamel dial with Roman numerals and pierced gold arrow hands, the turquoise enamel bezel border, dial signed Cartier.Gi...Category
Vintage 1920s French Art Deco Desk AccessoriesMaterials
Agate, Enamel$19,166Free Shipping
- Rare Omega 8-Day Solid Brass Gold Gilt Mid-Century Desk Clock, Circa 1940By OmegaLocated in Old Tappan, NJOriginal Antique Omega 8-Day Solid Brass Gold Gilt Desk Clock. Pierced floral dial surround over red background. Hinged panel on back opens to reveal a beautiful exhibition mechanica...Category
Vintage 1940s Swiss Desk AccessoriesMaterials
- Sheaffer 14 Karat Yellow Gold Fountain PenLocated in New York, NYElegant 14K yellow gold fountain pen by Sheaffer, made in the USA. Hallmarks: Sheaffer, 14K, Made in USA (on case and nib)Category
Late 20th Century More JewelryMaterials
14k Gold, Yellow Gold$1,500Free Shipping
- Vintage Cartier Wave Design Tie Clip Polished 14 Karat Yellow GoldBy CartierLocated in Scottsdale, AZLovely vintage Cartier tie clip in 14 karat yellow gold. The sleek and subtle wave design is done in a high polished finish. The flexible opening is easily accessible and can accommo...Category
20th Century French Contemporary More JewelryMaterials
Gold, 14k Gold, Yellow Gold$775Free Shipping
- Cartier 14 Karat Yellow Gold Collar StaysBy CartierLocated in Los Angeles, CAClassic and simple Cartier collar stays in 14k yellow gold.Category
21st Century and Contemporary More JewelryMaterials
Yellow Gold$3,200Free Shipping
- Cartier Retro 14 Karat Two-Tone Gold Woven Men's CufflinksBy CartierLocated in Philadelphia, PALink style cufflinks terminate as yellow and rose gold cushion forms With a deeply grooved basket-weave motif throughout Stamped 14k for 14 karat two-tone gold Fully signed Cartie...Category
Vintage 1940s Retro CufflinksMaterials
Gold, 14k Gold, Rose Gold, Yellow GoldSold$2,025Free Shipping
Recently ViewedView More
This 1950s Cartier Toi et Moi Ring Is a Summer Stunner
Made with Sardinian coral, this gem packs so much presence — and is perfect for poolside soirees.
Discover Why Islamic Art Is an Enduring Influence on Cartier Jewelry
Through both his collection and his innovative designs, Louis Cartier’s passion for Islamic continues to resonate.