Items Similar to Victorian 3.32 Carat Diamond and 14 Karat Gold Silver Necklace, circa 1880 View More
Victorian 3.32 Carat Diamond and 14 Karat Gold Silver Necklace, circa 1880
The splendid diamond necklace at hand was fashioned in the late 19th century. Its creator's goal was to let the diamonds appear as bright and glistening as possible, using the latest techniques of his time. White gold had not yet been invented, and platinum was barely used due to its hardness – thus, silver was the preferred material to set diamonds until around the turn of the century, as it would not tint the diamond's brightness. Silver covers the entire front of the necklace, as a thin layer on solid gold. The warm hue of the gold is only visible on the sides and back of the necklace, allowing it to be worn without leaving traces of oxidation on the skin or clothing, as silver might. Another innovation can be seen in the open settings of the diamonds: throughout the 19th century, diamonds had mostly been set in closed-back settings. It was only in the later 19th century that goldsmiths began to set them more delicately in open settings, allowing more light to catch the facets of the stones. Thus equipped, the diamonds show a beautiful brilliancy, made possible by the use of silver and open settings. Though delicate, the necklace is quite sturdy and has survived more than a century in very good condition. It will be delivered with our own certificate. MATERIALS 118 diamonds, old European and 8/8 cuts, approx. 3.32 ct altogether (the largest diamond thereof approx. 0.13 ct), Wesselton/H – Top Cape/K-L, vsi–pi 31 diamonds, rose cut, max. diameter approx. 1.0 mm / 0.039 inches Gold 585/000, resp. 14k Front of silver MEASUREMENTS Length of necklace 43.0 cm / 16.93 inches Central part with ornaments approx. 14.0 x 2.8 cm / 5.51 x 1.1 inches
- In the Style Of
- Place of OriginUnknown
- Date of Manufacturecirca 1880
- Stone Cut
- Condition DetailsExcellent condition with slight patina, the security chain renewed, one of the outer ornaments very slightly bent forwards. The necklace will be delivered with an antique box (pictured). The box is not original to the necklace.
- DimensionsD 16.93 in.D 430 mm
- Length16.93 in. (430 mm)
- Weight34.3 g
- Seller LocationBerlin, DE
- Seller Reference Number18-2263
- Reference NumberLU156428463842
Buyer Protection Guaranteed
Our Promise To You: If you're not happy with the way an item arrived, we'll work with you and the seller to reach an optimal resolution. Read more
Shipping, Returns & Payment
- ShippingFree ShippingStandardto anywhere in the world, arrives in 8-10 days.Delivered by a parcel delivery service such as UPS, FedEx, or DHL.Shipping methods are determined by item size, type, fragility and specific characteristics.Shipping costs are calculated based on carrier rates, delivery distance and packing complexity.
- Return Policy
This item can be returned within 3 days of delivery.View details
- Online Payment Methods1stdibs accepts the following payment methods
- Item InvoiceGenerate an invoice that you can customize and print.
About the Seller
5 / 5
1stdibs seller since 2019
Typical response time: 2 hours
Located in Berlin, DE
More From This Seller
Belle Époque circa 1880, Rose Cut Diamond Silve...
Antique 1880s Belle Époque Pendant Necklaces
Vintage circa 1981, Pomellato 18 Karat Two-Tone...
Vintage 1980s Retro Link Bracelets
Victorian circa 1895, 10.50 Carat Opal & 5.06 C...
Antique 1890s Late Victorian Drop Necklaces
Victorian circa 1890 2.0 ct Old Mine Cut Diamon...
Antique Late 19th Century Late Victorian Pendant Necklaces
You May Also Like
38 Carat Diamond Necklace and Bracelet 180 Gram...
Early 2000s Link Necklaces
Victorian Antique diamond necklace, circa 1880.
Antique 1880s Victorian Link Necklaces
Vintage 14 Karat Gold Ladies Necklace with Rubi...
Vintage 1950s Link Necklaces
18 Karat White Gold 13.00 Carat Diamond Necklace
21st Century and Contemporary Choker Necklaces
1870s Victorian 1.00 Carat Diamond and Pearl 14...
Antique Late 19th Century Victorian Link Necklaces
14 Karat Diamond Necklace 27.1 Grams Weight
2010s Link Necklaces
14 Karat Yellow Gold Fancy Fringe Collar Necklace
20th Century Victorian Link Necklaces