Van Cleef & Arpels Paris Ruby and Diamond Bombé Ring
About the Item
Van Cleef & Arpels
One of the world’s foremost jewelry houses, Van Cleef & Arpels is particularly noted for a focus on technical virtuosity, craftsmanship and artistry, evident since its beginning. Rather than create earrings, bracelets, necklaces and other adornments primarily for the aim of displaying of wealth and opulence, Van Cleef & Arpels sought to produce jewelry that projected the wearer’s taste and style.
The company was formed a year after the 1895 marriage of Alfred Van Cleef, the son of a gem cutter, to Estelle Arpels, daughter of precious-stones dealer Salomon Arpel. Ten years later, Van Cleef & Arpels opened its first boutique on the Place Vendôme in Paris, setting the march on a square now crowded with dealers in bijouterie. (The company still occupies the New York flagship store opened in 1939 at Fifth Avenue and 57th Street.)
Born from a union of expertise in both jewelry making and gem selection, the Van Cleef & Arpels distinguished itself with both the consistency of the color and clarity of its stones and the creativity of its designs. In doing so, the house would win a roster of dedicated, fashion-conscious clients that included the Duchess of Windsor, Marlene Dietrich, Barbara Hutton, Jacqueline Onassis and Elizabeth Taylor. In 1933, Van Cleef & Arpels patented its trademark Mystery Setting — a technique by which gems are fitted into an intricate matrix of slots and “drawers” that keep the setting hidden. Another signal innovation was the Zip necklace, introduced in 1951, which can be worn either around the neck or, with the zipper closed, as a bracelet.
But as much as to the firm’s craftsmanship, clients have been drawn by the insouciance and playfulness of Van Cleef & Arpels designers, as well as their attunement to the cultural climate. After the discovery of Tutankhamun’s tomb in 1922, the company produced several lavish pieces featuring hieroglyphics and other Egyptian motifs to go along with the geometric Art Deco jewelry of that decade and the next. Following World War II, as symbols of freedom and rebirth, the firm focused on naturalistic forms such as birds, flowers, fruit and flying insects. High society’s 1960s fascination with the Near East and India prompted such pieces as the best-selling Alhambra necklace, popularized by Princess Grace.
Lately, attention among collectors and connoisseurs has centered on Van Cleef & Arpels’s quality of workmanship as much as its glamour. The firm was the subject of a 2012 show at the Cooper-Hewitt, Smithsonian Design Museum, as well as exhibitions at the Bowers Museum in Santa Ana, California, in 2013 and at the Musée des Arts Décoratifs in Paris in 2014.
Find an exquisite collection of Van Cleef & Arpels jewelry on 1stDibs.
- ShippingRetrieving quote...Ships From: New York, NY
- Return Policy
A return for this item may be initiated within 3 days of delivery.
- Van Cleef & Arpels Diamond Bombé RingBy Van Cleef & ArpelsLocated in New York, NYThis mid-century Van Cleef & Arpels bombé ring is a striking and sensuous period design is set with over ten carats of diamonds. The voluminous form, dripping and patterned with roun...Category
Vintage 1960s American Cocktail RingsMaterials
White Diamond, Diamond, Platinum
- Van Cleef & Arpels Paris No-Heat Burma Sapphire RingBy Van Cleef & ArpelsLocated in New York, NYCreated in the late 1930s by Van Cleef & Arpels Paris, this Burma sapphire and diamond ring is mounted in platinum. The ring centers three vertically-set cushion-cut sapphires, weighing 1.96, 1.21, and 1.20 carats, flanked by two canted rows of calibré-cut sapphires mounted on either side of an domed step, and arched shoulders set with graduating round-cut diamonds. Densely set with royal blue Burma sapphires, and rich in artistic impact, this streamlined masterpiece by Van Cleef & Arpels is a statement of sculptural monumentality in miniature. Product Details: Item #: R-20587 Artist: Van Cleef & Arpels Country: France Circa: Late 1930s Size: (this ring can be sized; please contact the gallery for further information) Materials: 1 cushion-cut sapphire (approximate total weight 1.20 carats); 1 cushion-cut sapphire (approximate total weight 1.96 carats); 1 cushion-cut sapphire (with approximate total weight 1.21 carats); 10 round diamonds (approximate total weight 1.00 carats); platinum Signed: Van Cleef & Arpels Brevete. s.g.d.g. 48551 French assay marks and maker's mark Documentation: Accompanied by American Gemological Laboratories (AGL) reports nos. 1123997, 1123998, and 1123999, all dated 15 July 2022, stating that the three largest sapphires are of Burma (Myanmar) origin, with no evidence of heat enhancement. Literature: For important mid-century jewels with a similar sculptural character, see Van Cleef & Arpels, Reflections of Eternity, by Marc Petit...Category
Vintage 1930s French Art Deco Cluster RingsMaterials
Diamond, Sapphire, Platinum
- Van Cleef & Arpels Ruby and Diamond EarringsBy Van Cleef & ArpelsLocated in New York, NYA demonstration of superlative artistry, this pair of French mid-20th century Van Cleef & Arpels clipback button earrings with stripes of rubies and diamonds is a masterpiece of mode...Category
Vintage 1960s French Clip-on EarringsMaterials
Diamond, White Diamond, Ruby, Platinum
- Cartier Paris Bombé Diamond RingBy CartierLocated in New York, NYCreated in the late 20th century, this Cartier diamond bombé or dome ring is set in 18K gold. The wide bombé center flanked by shaped bands are pavé-set with round brilliant-cut diam...Category
Late 20th Century French Dome RingsMaterials
Diamond, Gold, 18k Gold, Yellow GoldFree Shipping
- Van Cleef & Arpels 1960's Diamond Emerald and Gold RingBy Van Cleef & ArpelsLocated in New York, NYA Mid-20th Century 18 karat gold ring with diamonds and emeralds by Van Cleef & Arpels. The ring has 15 round diamonds with an approximate total weight of 3.40 carats, F/G color, VS ...Category
Vintage 1960s Cocktail RingsMaterials
Diamond, Emerald, Gold, Yellow Gold, 18k Gold
- Van Cleef & Arpels Contemporary Ruby and Diamond “Trefle” RingLocated in New York, NYCreated by Van Cleef & Arpels, this “Trefle” ring is composed of cabochon rubies and diamonds. The bypass form ring is designed as two pave-set diamond blossoms, each centering a cab...Category
Late 20th Century Contemporary Cluster RingsMaterials
Diamond, Ruby, 18k Gold
- Van Cleef & Arpels Diamond Bombe Sequin RingBy Van Cleef & ArpelsLocated in New York, NYVAN CLEEF & ARPELS Diamond Bombe Sequin Ring in 18k Yellow Gold. Diamond weight approx. 3.90 carats total. Measures approx. 0.65″ in width tapering to approx. 0.25″, 1″ in length, 0....Category
Vintage 1980s American Dome RingsMaterials
Diamond, White Diamond, 18k GoldFree Shipping
- Van Cleef & Arpels Vintage 1950s 'Province' Ruby Bombe RingBy Van Cleef & ArpelsLocated in New York, NYVan Cleef & Arpels Vintage 1950s 'Province' Ruby Bombe Ring A bejeweled mid-century retro ring by Van Cleef & Arpels exhibiting a design emblematic of ...Category
Vintage 1950s French Dome RingsMaterials
Diamond, Ruby, 18k Gold
- Van Cleef & Arpels Gold Diamond Ruby RingBy Van Cleef & ArpelsLocated in New York, NY18k yellow gold ring by Van Cleef & Arpels. Set with ruby (5.4 x 5.4mm) and approx. 0.28ctw in diamonds. Ring size - 7.75, ring top is 15mm wide. Marked: Van Cleef & Arpels,NY 5k 531...Category
20th Century Dome RingsMaterials
Diamond, Ruby, GoldFree Shipping
- Van Cleef & Arpels Sapphire, Diamond and Enamel Dome RingBy Van Cleef & ArpelsLocated in Weston, MAA true rhapsody in blue, this vintage VCA ring features a large central cabochon sapphire surrounded by round brilliant cut diamonds in a starburst pattern. T...Category
Vintage 1970s Dome RingsMaterials
Blue Sapphire, Diamond, Sapphire, 18k Gold, Yellow Gold, Enamel
- Van Cleef & Arpels Platinum Diamond, Ruby Dome RingBy Van Cleef & ArpelsLocated in New York, NYComprising a magnificent Van Cleef & Arpels ring of dome-shaped design, crafted with rows of round rubies and baguette and brilliant-cut diamonds finely mounted in platinum. Signed V...Category
Vintage 1960s American Dome RingsMaterials
Diamond, Ruby, PlatinumFree Shipping
- Van Cleef and Arpels "Angel's Skin" Coral and Diamond RingBy Van Cleef & ArpelsLocated in New York, NYVan Cleef and Arpels Angel Skin Coral and Diamond Cocktail Ring. 1 Cabochon angel skin coral with round cut side diamonds set in 18k yellow gold. Ring Size: 6.5 Signed, Van Cleef...Category
Vintage 1960s French Cocktail RingsMaterials
Coral, Diamond, 18k Gold
Recently ViewedView All
Gems by David Webb, Cartier and Van Cleef & Arpels Anchor The Back Vault’s Treasure Trove
Boasting one of the largest collections of David Webb in the world, the firm offers exceptional jewels — always in demand yet never in short supply.
This Turquoise Van Cleef & Arpels Alhambra Necklace Is a Rare and Alluring Find
You know the French maison’s famous motif well. But why is this particular piece so in demand?
The 1stDibs PromiseLearn More
Expertly Vetted Sellers
Confidence at Checkout
Trusted Global Delivery