Items Similar to Egyptian Steatite Scarab and Gold Finger Ring with Mohasseb & Son Provenance View More
Egyptian Steatite Scarab and Gold Finger Ring with Mohasseb & Son Provenance
A rare antique Egyptian steatite scarab and gold finger ring. It is accompanyied by a note from the shop of Mohammed Mohasseb & Son from Luxor, Egypt. The note identifies the ring as 18th Dynasty (about 1500 BCE), bearing the name of Amen-Ra - the Hidden Sun, and as being found at Thebes. The letterhead reads: "From the Museum of Egyptian Antiquities of El Hagg Med Mohasseb and Son Luxor, Egypt". Mohasseb and his sons were part of a wealthy, landed family in Luxor at the end of the 19th and beginning of the 20th centuries. Along with managing their estate and land holdings, the family also dealt in Antiquities. Christies sold an Egyptian finger ring with Mohasseb & Son provenance that was the property of Dorothy Steffano in its Ancient Jewelry sale in December 2002 in New York. Mohasseb was apparently also the source of the Meresamun mummy at the University of Chicago. The note itself dates to the early 20th century. The ring is at least as early as that and quite possibly ancient, as Mohasseb indicates. The gold fineness tests at 18k. (It could be potentially even a bit higher.) Height: ca. 22mm Width: ca. 19mm Depth: ca. 9mm Items purchased from this dealer must delight you. Purchases may be returned for any reason for a period of 7 days.
- Place of OriginEgypt
- Date of ManufactureEarly 20th Century or possibly ancient
- Condition DetailsWith some fine indentions to the gold, some very light edge wear, some fine and light surface scratches and other signs of light wear consistent with age.
- WearWear consistent with age and use.
- DimensionsH 0.87 in. x W 0.75 in. x D 0.36 in.H 22 mm x W 19 mm x D 9 mm
- Weight2.3 g
- Seller LocationPhiladelphia, PA
- Seller Reference NumberDI-053
- Reference NumberLU84938817112
Buyer Protection Guaranteed
Our Promise To You: If you're not happy with the way an item arrived, we'll work with you and the seller to reach an optimal resolution. Read more
Shipping, Returns & Payment
- ShippingFree ShippingStandardto anywhere in the world, arrives in 1-3 weeks.Delivered by a parcel delivery service such as UPS, FedEx, or DHL.Shipping methods are determined by item size, type, fragility and specific characteristics.Shipping costs are calculated based on carrier rates, delivery distance and packing complexity.
- Return Policy
A return for this item may be initiated within 7 days of delivery.See Details
- Online Payment Methods1stdibs accepts the following payment methods
- Item InvoiceGenerate an invoice that you can customize and print.
About the Seller
5 / 5
1stdibs seller since 2017
Typical response time: 2 hours
Located in Philadelphia, PA
More From This Seller
Antique Gold Filled Baiting Bear with Muzzle Ca...
Antique 19th Century Victorian
Vintage 14 Karat Gold and Amethyst Scarabs Scre...
20th Century Egyptian Revival
Vintage Tiffany & Co. 14 Karat Gold Paper Clip ...
Tiffany & Co.
Vintage 1980s Modern
You May Also Like
Antique Victorian Egyptian Revival Faience Scar...
Antique 19th Century Egyptian Revival
Art Nouveau Egyptian Revival Turquoise 14 Karat...
Antique Early 1900s Art Nouveau
Large Scarab Moveable Gold Ring
New York, NY
Yellow Gold Scarab Three-Stone Ring
18 Karat White Gold and Diamond Four-Finger Ring
21st Century and Contemporary
Jewelerette Three-Finger Diamond Gold Ring
Beverly Hills, CA
21st Century and Contemporary
Colleen B. Rosenblat White Gold Scarab Ring
Colleen B. Rosenblat