- Want more images or videos?Request additional images or videos from the seller
IWC Schaffhausen Oman Khanjar, Rare & Vintage, Excellent Condition 'for Age'
About the Item
- Date of Manufacture:1972
- Seller Location:Canterbury, GB
- Reference Number:Seller: W43081stDibs: LU2134218560942
One of Switzerland’s major luxury watch companies was started by an American who saw the potential of bringing Switzerland’s superb watchmaking into the modern age through industrialized manufacturing and high-precision interchangeable parts. The New Hampshire–born watchmaker Florentine Ariosto Jones (1841–1916), who founded International Watch Company — known today as simply IWC — in 1868, was interested in “combining all the excellence of the American system of mechanism with the more skillful hand labor of the Swiss.”
Setting up the company with another American watchmaker, Charles Kidder, in Schaffhausen, Switzerland, Jones used hydropower from the River Rhine for his plant’s machinery. Rethinking watch design would lead to one of IWC’s early successes: the Pallweber pocket watch. Based on an 1883 patent by Austrian watchmaker Josef Pallweber, the watch employed numbered disks for jumping hour and minute displays, making it a pioneer in digital timekeeping.
After Johann Rauschenbach-Vogel took over the watch manufacturer in 1880, four generations of his family led IWC into the 20th century. In 1905, Ernst Jakob Homberger and his brother-in-law Carl Jung — the famed Swiss psychiatrist — acquired IWC. Homberger bought out Jung’s holdings in 1929, and in the 1930s, the company introduced pilot watches, which were particularly robust and aimed solely at the civil aviation industry. These durable wristwatches were designed specifically to remain operational during extreme temperature shifts. (As blue watch dials are particularly hot right now, IWC's blue-dial Big Pilot is having a moment.)
The company still operates alongside the river where it was founded, having gained an international reputation over the past 150 years for its elegant designs and expert craftsmanship. Vintage IWC watches are prized by collectors — of whom there are many these days — and while the company continues to guard its attention to detail and quality, it has pushed its classic designs forward with modern innovation intended to stand the test of time.
IWC’s 2013 Ingenieur watch collection, with its precision based on an inventive constant-force mechanism, looked back to a 1955 Ingenieur model that featured a durable soft-iron inner cage as well as a 1976 update by leading Swiss watch designer Gérald Genta that encased its mechanism in a sleek steel case. IWC has also had a recent push toward sustainability, designing watches that are made to last a lifetime and beyond and earning the highest environmental ranking of any Swiss watch company in a 2018 report published by the World Wide Fund for Nature Switzerland (WWF).
Find vintage IWC wristwatches, Art Deco–style pocket watches and more on 1stDibs.
Shipping & Returns
- ShippingRetrieving quote...Ships From: Canterbury, United Kingdom
- Return Policy
A return for this item may be initiated within 2 days of delivery.
- Rare Vintage IWC Auto 'Jumbo', 18k Yellow Gold, Wonderful Condition 'for age'By IWCLocated in Canterbury, GBOur very rare and attractive IWC automatic date features a ' jumbo ' case of 38mm inc IWC crown, of 18k yellow gold. Presented in wonderful condition giv...Category
Vintage 1970s Wrist WatchesMaterials
- Tudor Oyster Shock Resisting 'Ref 7934' Excellent Condition 'for Age'By TudorLocated in Canterbury, GBOur vintage and understated Tudor Oyster Shock Resisting ( reference 7934 ) features a stainless steel 34mm case with polished bezel and attractively patinated silver dial with "Shoc...Category
Vintage 1960s Wrist Watches$2,392 Sale Price20% OffFree Shipping
- Raymond Weil Day Date Ref 3491. Extremely Rare, Excellent Condition.By Raymond WeilLocated in Canterbury, GBOur extremely rare Raymond Weil reference is an early example of the Parsifal range and is a range topping Day-Date automatic with jumbo stainless steel case (42mm x 42mm inc crown, ...Category
1990s Wrist Watches$1,506 Sale Price20% OffFree Shipping
- Franck Muller Conquistador Lady Ref 8000L, Rare Dial, Excellent ConditionBy Franck MullerLocated in Canterbury, GBOur Franck Muller Conquistador Lady reference 8000L with automatic movement features a stainless steel case of 28mm (ex crown) x 38mm with attractive and rare dial. We have fitted a ...Category
Early 2000s Wrist Watches$4,023Free Shipping
- Omega Speedmaster Chrono Ref 3513.30.00, Rare Combination, Excellent ConditionBy OmegaLocated in Canterbury, GBOur Omega Speedmaster chronograph with date is reference 3513.30.00 with automatic movement. Featuring a 40mm stainless steel case and stainless steel bracelet, and silver dial, a re...Category
Early 2000s Wrist Watches$2,815 Sale Price20% OffFree Shipping
- Vintage Cartier Tank Americaine 1740 XL, Excellent Condition, Box & PapersBy CartierLocated in Canterbury, GBOur rare and near vintage Cartier Tank Americaine with automatic movement, reference 1740, is the XL version with 26mm x 44mm tank case in 18k yel...Category
Early 2000s Wrist Watches$13,594Free Shipping
- Vintage IWC Schaffhausen Men's Automatic Wristwatch, circa 1960sBy IWCLocated in Braintree, GBVintage IWC Schaffhausen mens automatic wristwatch , circa 1960's Gender: Mens Case size: 34 mm Movement: Manual Winding Watchband Material: Leather Case material : Stainless Stee...Category
Vintage 1960s Swiss Wrist Watches$2,959Free Shipping
- Vintage IWC Schaffhausen Yellow Gold Large Mechanical Wrist WatchLocated in Chicago, ILCirca 1950 IWC International Watch Company Wrist Watch, 36 M.M. 3 Piece 18K Yellow Gold Case with Flared lugs. 17 Jewel Nickle Lever mechanical, Manual wind Movement, Original and Mi...Category
Vintage 1950s Swiss Wrist WatchesMaterials
18k Gold$2,600Free Shipping
- IWC Schaffhausen For Mappin & Webb Sterling Silver Campaign Style Manual WatchLocated in Long Beach, CAFACTORY / HOUSE: International Watch Company, for Mappin and Webb, London STYLE / REFERENCE: Military / Campaign Style METAL / MATERIAL: Sterling Silver DIMENSIONS: Length 38mm X Dia...Category
Early 20th Century Swiss Art Deco Wrist Watches
- IWC Schaffhausen Big Ingenieur Chronograph Ref. IW378405By IWCLocated in Miami, FLDesigner: IWC Collection: Ingenier Metal:Stainless Steel Case Size: 45.5 mm Barcelet Material: Leather Crystal:Scratch Resistant Sapphire Total Item Weight (g...Category
21st Century and Contemporary Wrist WatchesMaterials
Stainless Steel$8,625Free Shipping
- IWC Khanjar 18K Yellow Gold Watch, Ring and Cufflinks SetBy IWCLocated in Southampton, PAHere is an ultra-rare timepiece, paired with ultra-elegant cufflinks and a ring, bearing the national emblem of the Sultanate of Oman. The IWC Khanjar 18K Yellow Gold Watch, Ring and Cufflinks Set features a good-looking watch with a cushion-shaped case in 18K yellow gold. It comes with a matching 18K yellow gold textured bracelet. The watch's dial is in plain pitch black that looks extra classy given the absence of hour markers. Only the embossed gold "International Watch Co., Schaffhausen, Swiss" text marking, a red Oman Khanjar...Category
21st Century and Contemporary Wrist WatchesMaterials
18k Gold, Yellow Gold$20,895Free Shipping
- Mens IWC Schaffhausen 18k Rose Gold Manual Watch 1960s Vintage RA326By IWCLocated in Beverly Hills, CATimeless luxury, Men's large size IWC Schaffhausen solid 18k rose gold dress watch, c.1960s, unrefurbished. Verified authentic by a master watch...Category
Vintage 1960s Swiss Wrist WatchesMaterials
18k Gold, Rose Gold$4,900Free Shipping
Recently ViewedView More
The 1stDibs PromiseLearn More
Expertly Vetted Sellers
Confidence at Checkout
Trusted Global Delivery