Verdura Gold Beehive Watch Charm Bracelet
About the Item
Fulco di Verdura (1898–1978) is not exactly a household name, except for those who know a thing or two about highly original, often eccentric handcrafted jewelry and, even more so, for those fortunate enough to own some. In that exclusive group, Verdura is regarded as the most gifted and coveted designer of his time.
Verdura was born in Sicily in 1898, the scion of a noble family related to the Lampedusas. (His cousin, Giuseppe di Lampedusa, wrote the great Italian saga The Leopard). His life was charmed from birth. Raised in his family’s villa, he grew up during a time when Sicily, and Palermo in particular, were meccas for well-born and highly cultured European travelers.
A bona fide duke with no clear ambitions but creative leanings aplenty (he could draw and paint), the young Verdura was part of the wandering social circuit — the so-called beau monde — that went from capital to capital, resort to resort.
Verdura, though small in stature, had that indefinable quality called charm. As a result, he was the life of every party he attended. When he finally started designing jewelry under Coco Chanel in the late 1920s, many of his friends became his clients (or received the pieces as gifts). Elsa Maxwell took him under her ample wing when she was hired to do public relations for the Lido in Venice and introduced him to the local and visiting cognoscenti. Chanel, whom he met in Venice, hired him to work in the textiles division of her fashion house. But it was his flair for jewelry that soon caught Coco’s eye. Eventually, he rose to become her personal designer of fine jewelry.
In 2002’s Verdura: The Life and Work of a Master Jeweler (Thames & Hudson), Vanity Fair’s Amy Fine Collins describes the sensation of wearing pieces by Verdura, who drew inspiration from nature for his signature gem-studded seashell brooches and honeybee earrings. “They were ingeniously calculated to flatter the wearer,” writes Collins. “Earrings undulated to complement the convolutions of an earlobe, rings seductively followed the phalanges of a finger, and necklaces gracefully traced the anatomy of the throat.”
In 1934, Verdura left Chanel and together with two friends, aspiring actress Princess Natalia Pavlovna Paley and Baron Nicholas de Gunzburg, moved to the U.S. After several stops, he found a job through Diana Vreeland in Hollywood with Paul Flato, then the “jeweler to the stars.” Soon he was signing his work and helping Flato cultivate the crème de la creme of the silver screen — those both on it and behind it.
Verdura left Los Angeles for New York and opened his own salon, first on Fifth Avenue in 1939, just as World War II was beginning in Europe. His backers were Vincent Astor and Cole Porter, for whom he made bejeweled boxes and cigarette cases — gifts from Porter’s wife, Linda — to commemorate the opening nights of several musicals. Verdura began to expand both his repertoire — he became much more daring and flamboyant — and his clientele. The Duchess of Windsor, Daisy Fellowes, Greta Garbo and others routinely gave him commissions. In 1941, Verdura collaborated on a collection of six pieces with Salvador Dalí to accompany a Dalí exhibition at the Museum of Modern Art. Verdura retired in 1972 and left the care of the company to his partner, Joseph Alfano. He later moved to London, where he died in 1978 at the age of 79.
Among the most prized pieces on display in a 2014 Verdura jewelry exhibition in New York were Greta Garbo’s curb-link bracelet watch, which Verdura designed for her in 1939; Coco Chanel’s pair of Maltese Cross cuff bracelets (she wore one on each wrist); and Diana Vreeland’s duo of Byzantine brooches.
Find a range of authentic Verdura jewelry today on 1stDibs.
- ShippingRetrieving quote...Ships From: Palm Beach, FL
- Return PolicyA return for this item may be initiated within 14 days of delivery.
- Verdura 18k Gold Diamond Curb-Link Bracelet WatchBy VerduraLocated in Palm Beach, FLElevate your style with the timeless elegance of the Verdura 18 karat yellow gold diamond curb-link bracelet watch. This exquisite piece combines luxury, sophistication, and functionality in perfect harmony. The polished gold curb links, measuring 20mm (0.8") in width exude a sense of opulence and fine craftsmanship. The mother-of-pearl dial features delicate gold dots for numerals, enhancing its classic appeal, while a small diamond at 12 o'clock adds a touch of understated glamour. Measuring 7.5" in overall length. The circular case is adorned with 34 graduated round brilliant-cut diamonds, totaling 0.55 carats. With a clarity rating of VVS and color grade F, these diamonds reflect brilliance and radiance. The classic curb style of the watch pairs beautifully with the Verdura curb...Category
2010s Unknown Modern Wrist WatchesMaterials
Diamond, Yellow Gold, 18k GoldFree Shipping
- Verdura 18k Gold Rock Crystal Diamond Star Cuff BraceletBy VerduraLocated in Palm Beach, FLFrom Verdura's range of one-of-a-kind cuffs, this bracelet is meticulously crafted from a single piece of rock crystal that has been carved to wrap around the wrist. Showcasing an e...Category
2010s Modern Cuff BraceletsMaterials
Diamond, Rock Crystal, 18k Gold, Yellow Gold
- Verdura 18k Yellow Gold White Agate Curb-Link BraceletBy VerduraLocated in Palm Beach, FLCurb-link bracelet, featuring alternating high-polished 18k yellow gold and carved white agate links. 8" long and 1" wide. Signed 'VERDURA' '750'. This version of the curb-link brac...Category
2010s Italian Link BraceletsMaterials
Agate, 18k Gold, Yellow Gold
- Verdura 18k Yellow Gold White Ceramic Curb-Link BraceletBy VerduraLocated in Palm Beach, FLElevate your style with the undeniable sophistication and timeless beauty of this Verdura 18 karat yellow gold and white ceramic curb-link bracelet. This exquisite piece showcases po...Category
2010s Link BraceletsMaterials
18k Gold, Yellow Gold
- Verdura Gold White Topaz Diamond Cornucopia Clip EarringsBy VerduraLocated in Palm Beach, FLVerdura cornucopia earrings in 18k yellow gold set with white topaz and diamonds. Polished gold tops with a central rim pave-set with sixty-eight round brilliant-cut diamonds weighi...Category
2010s Italian Modern Clip-on EarringsMaterials
Diamond, Topaz, 18k Gold, Gold, Yellow Gold
- Verdura 18k Yellow Gold Black Onyx 'Trio' RingBy VerduraLocated in Palm Beach, FLVerdura "Trio" 18kt yellow gold and black onyx ring made from the original designs of Fulco di Vedura. Six rows of gold bars wrapping around three tubular, black onyx, cabochon cut s...Category
2010s Unknown Fashion RingsMaterials
Onyx, 18k Gold, Yellow GoldFree Shipping
- Verdura Curb Link Bracelet WatchBy VerduraLocated in New York, NYIconic curb link bracelet design with watch crafted in 18K yellow gold. Signed by Verdura.Category
21st Century and Contemporary Italian Wrist WatchesMaterials
18k GoldFree Shipping
- Verdura Gold and Diamond Rope Link Bracelet WristwatchBy VerduraLocated in Chicago, ILCirca 1970s Verdura Ladies Bracelet Wrist Watch, 25 M.M. Diameter 14K yellow Gold 2 Piece case, Round Brilliant cut Diamond bezel totaling 1 Carat. 17 Jewel Cresaux Switzerland Mecha...Category
Vintage 1970s American Wrist WatchesMaterials
Diamond, 14k Gold
- Vintage 14K Yellow Gold Floral Bracelet Hidden Wrist Watch w Diamond CharmLocated in Mount Kisco, NYA unique diamond and gold filigree charm covers the face of the hidden timepiece on this unique circa 1940's heirloom bracelet watch. Rich in style, it...Category
Vintage 1940s Swiss Retro BraceletsMaterials
Diamond, 14k Gold, Yellow Gold
- Ruby Diamond Gold Watch BraceletLocated in New York, NY18k yellow gold woven bracelet watch, decorated with rubies and approx. 1.16ctw in diamonds. Bracelet is 7.25" long and 30mm wide. Quartz movement. Weight - 135.2 grams.Category
20th Century Wrist WatchesMaterials
Diamond, Ruby, GoldFree Shipping
- Marina B Gold Bracelet Juvenia WatchBy Marina BLocated in New York, NY18k gold Tubas type wrap bracelet by Marina B, with a Juvenia watch. Case is 18mm x 19mm, Bracelet will fit approx. 6.5" wrist. Bracelet marked MB, Marina B, 750. Case marked with go...Category
20th Century Italian Wrist WatchesMaterials
- Omega Gold and Diamond Concealed Bracelet WatchBy OmegaLocated in New York, NYThis magnificent Omega gold and diamond concealed bracelet watch from the mid-20th century makes keeping time a thrill. Composed of ten flexib...Category
Vintage 1960s Retro Wrist WatchesMaterials
White Diamond, Diamond, 18k Gold, Gold, Yellow GoldFree Shipping
- Backstage Balmain Floral Shawl, 1954By Mark ShawLocated in New York, NYBackstage Balmain Floral Shawl -- Backstage at the 1954 Pierre Balmain Couture show. Image size is 10" x 15" (for 11" x 17" paper size). All Mark Shaw pr...Category
1950s Modern Color PhotographyMaterials
- Pierluigi Spadolini for 1P 'Boccio' Dining or Center Table in Red ResinBy Pierluigi SpadoliniLocated in Waalwijk, NLPierluigi Spadolini for 1P, 'Boccio' dining table, polyurethane resin, Italy, 1972 This dining or center table is designed by Italian architect and designer (1922-2000) Pierluigi Sp...Category
Vintage 1970s Italian Mid-Century Modern Dining Room TablesMaterials
- Contemporary Gaetano Pesce Nugget XXL Vase Resin Clear BlueLocated in barasso, ITNugget vase, clear blue. Vase in soft resin designed by Gaetano Pesce in 1995 for Fish Design collection. Measures: XXL - ø 36cm x H 70cm Colours: clear blue. Other sizes available....Category
21st Century and Contemporary Italian Arts and Crafts VasesMaterials
- Lladró Equus Pedestal Bowl by Bodo SperleinBy Lladro, Bodo SperleinLocated in New York City, NYWhite glossy porcelain fountain designed by Bodo Sperlein from the Equus collection. This fountain is part of the Equus series, one of the most innovative and bold projects of Lladró...Category
21st Century and Contemporary Spanish Modern Decorative BowlsMaterials
- Tiffany & Co. 1979 by Angela Cummings Knot Earrings 18kt Yellow Gold with JasperBy Angela Cummings for Tiffany & Co.Located in Miami, FLKnots earrings designed by Angela Cummings for Tiffany & Co. An elegant and playful free-forms shaped pair of earrings created in New York city by Angela Cummings for the Tiffany St...Category
Vintage 1970s American Modernist Clip-on EarringsMaterials
Jasper, Gold, 18k Gold, Yellow Gold