We’re looking for a General Counsel to help build out the 1stDibs Legal and Compliance function. In this role, you will be a thought partner and strategic advisor to the Executive Team and Board on all legal and business issues, and will report to the Chief Executive Officer as a member of the Executive Team.
This role is both a strategic and hands on role. We are seeking an experienced legal professional who will set the vision of a global legal strategy and help manage risk throughout the organization. The ideal candidate will be able to effectively interact with business leaders to find the right balance of executing strategy, mitigating risk, and advising on business decisions. In addition, and importantly, we are looking for an executive with an understanding of the fast moving operating environment of a digital growth company and an ability to be effective within that environment.
What you’ll do
- Oversee all legal and compliance matters, including transactions, litigation, governance, compliance, regulatory processes, and management of legal entities
- Review, help negotiate, and draft commercial contracts with customers and partners, including developing, improving and maintaining 1stDibs standard agreements
- Provide counsel as required on all aspects of the business, and efficiently manage outside counsel and insurance providers Drive strategic direction for Corporate transactions including fundraising, M&A, and other financial outcomes.
- Project and analyze outcomes of organizational decisions and advise of steps needed to deliver upon strategy and mitigate risk
- Keep abreast of administrative and regulatory requirements and proactively plans for future needs by educating Sr. Leadership Team and Board and putting to policies and processes in place
- Support international expansion strategy including foreign entity formation and foreign employment matters
- Develop and implement tools, processes, procedures and best practices with respect to legal, compliance and other company operations
- Manage robust intellectual property enforcement, including registration of IP rights (trademark, copyright, patent)
- Oversee a variety of employment issues, including separations, disputes, reorganizations
- Manage all aspects of dispute resolution and litigation
What you’ll bring
- Licensed attorney in New York State with a minimum of 10 years of experience
- In house legal responsibilities including familiarity with Corporate governance law
- Experience working at a law firm supporting corporate clients
- Experience with ecommerce, commercial transactions, corporate transactions and securities law
- Experience in both pre-and-post IPO company is preferred
- Experience building, managing and mentoring a team
1stDibs is the world’s largest online luxury marketplace for rare and desirable objects. It has become the go-to source for the world's leading interior designers and consumers to find antiques, furniture, jewelry, vintage fashion and fine art.
Backed by Benchmark Capital, T. Rowe Price, Insight Venture Partners, Index Ventures, Spark Capital and Alibaba, 1stdibs is a unique blend of expert curators and seasoned Internet executives from companies including eBay, Gilt, Google, FreshDirect, Mlb.com, Shutterfly, and Twitter.
1stDibs is an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate diversity and we are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees, and we are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees.
- Accounting Coordinator
- Analytics Manager
- Back End Engineer
- Client Services Specialist
- Data Engineer
- General Counsel
- Manager of Technical Accounting
- Marketplace Trust Associate
- Partner Manager
- Partner Manager
- Senior Accountant
- Senior Graphic Designer
- Strategic Finance Analyst
- Talent Acquisition and People Program Management Specialist
- Talent Acquisition Leader
- Flexible Paid Time Off
- Full Benefits & 401(k)
- Paid Family Leave
- Commuter Benefits