1990s Albert Nipon Red Satin & Matte Crepe Dress With Open Slit Back
About the Item
The chic fashion label Albert Nipon began in 1954 as a maternity-wear company founded by married couple Albert and Pearl Nipon in their native city of Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. Pearl, who’d been cutting and sewing fabric since she was a child, had previously run a dress shop with her sister before marrying Albert in 1953. When she was pregnant, Pearl found that the available clothes for expectant mothers “looked just terrible,” as she told WWD in 1974, so she decided to design her own line. Called Ma Mère, their company grew into a successful enterprise, eventually home to more than 100 stores nationwide. In the early 1970s, the couple decided to sell the maternity business to focus on a high-end women’s fashion label they named Albert Nipon. Pearl maintained the role of couturier, and her natural elegance and flair for fashion design helped make Albert Nipon an enduring success.
At the time of Albert Nipon’s founding, pantsuits and separates were in fashion. Despite this, the Nipons chose to focus on dresses. Pearl and Albert knew that their dresses — with their woven and natural fibers, intricate details and chic European sensibility — were unlike others on the market. The label would become known for its use of pussycat bows, elegant collars, cuffs, tucks and pleats. Their risk paid off, and at its peak Albert Nipon was generating $60 million in annual dress sales.
Celebrities such as Mary Tyler Moore, Barbara Walters and Rosalynn Carter wore Albert Nipon’s designs, and major retailers like Saks Fifth Avenue, Neiman Marcus and Lord & Taylor carried the house’s dresses. Pearl Nipon’s instinctive sense of what women wanted their clothes to look like — stylish, feminine, comfortable and with unusual detailing — made Albert Nipon one of the most popular labels of its time.
Find vintage Albert Nipon dresses, scarves and other accessories on 1stDibs.
- ShippingRetrieving quote...Ships From: Beaverton, OR
- Return PolicyA return for this item may be initiated within 1 day of delivery.
- Vintage 1970s Andre Laug For Audrey Silk Chiffon Dot Print Empire Evening DressBy André LaugLocated in Portland, ORThis incredible vintage early 1970's André Laug silk chiffon dress is in a pleated multi layered, tiered sheer pale grey silk chiffon with abstract pink and green dots. The bodice ha...Category
1970s Italian Evening Dresses and Gowns
- Azzedine Alaia F/W 1986 Vintage Black Knit Bodycon Zipper DressBy Azzedine AlaïaLocated in Portland, ORThis vintage Azzedine Alaia dress was a part of the iconic F/W 1986 runway collection. This show solidified Alaia's place in fashion history and dresses from this show have became so...Category
1980s French Evening Dresses and Gowns
- Deadstock YSL 1989 Orange Metallic Documented Yves Saint Laurent Runway DressBy Yves Saint LaurentLocated in Portland, ORThis outstanding vintage YSL dress is deadstock and was designed by Yves Saint Laurent for his Autumn/Winter 1989/90 collection. We are showing an im...Category
1980s European Evening Dresses and Gowns
- Gattinoni Yellow Silk Chiffon High Low Evening Dress w CutoutBy GattinoniLocated in Portland, ORThis is an incredible Italian yellow silk high low dress with soutache bust detail from Gattinoni. We love the beautiful textures and different silks used for this dress. This has an...Category
21st Century and Contemporary Italian Evening Dresses
- 1993 Bill Blass Vintage Runway Dress in Iridescent Sage Green Silk w/ RufflesBy Bill BlassLocated in Portland, ORWe absolutely adore this sensational vintage 1993 fine silk chiffon Bill Blass dress with a flesh/peach lining and sage green chiffon overlay. The effect is that of a bronze and green iridescence. The lovely ruffles fall asymmetrically down from the left shoulder to the floor and the dress has angel sleeves and a back zipper. You have to see it move to appreciate the feather light fabric and the impeccable tailoring. The video we are showing shows the dress on a size 4 model and you can see that the back is clipped for a better fit. This dress is approximately a US modern day size 6 or an 8 with narrow hips. This dress is a very straight column fit and narrow hips. We always encourage our clients to use the measurements as a guide for the best fit. This beautiful evening gown...Category
1990s American Evening Dresses
- Antique Edwardian 1910s Vintage Ivory Net Tulle Dress W Soutache Embroidery TrimLocated in Portland, ORThis is an incredible vintage dress from the 1910's!! The soutache detail is so well done and we especially love the pretty three layers of soft netting . The base layer is solid wit...Category
Early 20th Century American Day Dresses
- Ossie Clark vintage 1970’s Floral Swing DressBy Ossie ClarkLocated in London, GBWe are very excited to present this Ossie Clark 1970’s long sleeve swing dress. Features floral pattern, tie neck, wide silhouette with long sleeves and midi length. Print by Celia B...Category
1970s British Evening Dresses
- 1999A Chanel Bustier Dress FR38 BlackBy Karl Lagerfeld for Chanel, ChanelLocated in PARIS, FRChanel FW 1999 collection dress, bustier, in black wool crepe, 2 slit pockets on the sides, mid-length, black silk lining, closing with a long zip and a hook. Size 38FR: chest 41 cm,...Category
1990s French Evening Dresses and Gowns
- Jean Paul Gaultier Vintage S/S 2001 Constellation Silk DressBy Jean Paul GaultierLocated in London, GBWe are excited to present this Jean Paul Gaultier Spring Summer 2001 ‘Constellation’ silk sleeveless dress. Features v-neckline, tie shoulder detail and maxi length. In excellent vin...Category
Early 2000s French Maxi Dress
- Versace S/S 2021/22 Re-edition of S/S 1994 Safety Pin DressBy VersaceLocated in London, GBWe are excited to present this 2021/22 Versace Spring Summer re-edition black safety pin dress. Features short sleeves with shoulder pads, low cut neckline, zip back closure, safety ...Category
2010s Italian Evening Dresses
- Versace Vintage 2000’s Asymmetrical Neckline DressBy VersaceLocated in London, GBWe are excited to present this Versus Versace early 2000’s red asymmetrical neckline dress. Features an asymmetrical neckline with ruched detail and maxi length. In excellent vintage...Category
Early 2000s Italian Maxi Dress