Skip to main content
Video Loading
Want more images or videos?
Request additional images or videos from the seller
1 of 14

Art Deco Sculpture Signed Carlier

About the Item

Large art deco illuminating sculpture, circa 1930. Spelter sculpture on marble base. Opalescent glass ball soap bubble. In perfect condition and electrified Length: 17,5 cm Diameter: 15 cm Height: 71 cm Depth: 10,5 cm Weight: 7kg Sculptor - lives in Paris born in Cambrai on January 3, 1849 and died in Paris on April 11, 1927 Joseph Carlier was born in a house on rue de la Prison, where Cambrai town hall now stands. His father is a cutler and a musician in his spare time. He wants to see his son become an architect or engineer of arts and crafts. Pupil at the school of the Brothers, he will follow the courses of the municipal school of drawing under the watchful eye of his professors Berger, father and son. His father, fearing the ups and downs of an artist's life, was unenthusiastic about his son's professional choice. It was with the support of his mother that in 1864 he joined the workshop of the ornamental sculptor from Cambrai Lecaron, where he learned the trade by sculpting the stones of the cathedral of Cambrai. On this occasion, the young apprentice falls from a scaffolding and owes his salvation only to the strap of his bag which keeps him suspended from the mast. He went to Paris to visit the Universal Exhibition of 1867 which reinforced his vocation as an artist. Not receiving any financial support from his parents, he had to do odd jobs and was hired by a furniture manufacturer in the Faubourg Saint-Antoine. Then he returned to Cambrai to follow the courses of the academic school in the studio of René Fache. A studious and diligent student, his teacher convinced Carlier's parents to let him settle in Paris to enter the École des Beaux-Arts. He obtained a scholarship from the city of Cambrai in 1869 and was admitted to Jules Cavelier's studio. The professor provides a rigorously academic teaching. The war of 1870 interrupted his studies. Exempted from military service, he made a trip to his parents, then joined the Montrouge volunteers. He experienced his baptism of fire at the outposts of Bagneux and Buzenval, saw the orientalist painter Henri Regnault fall, himself received three shots and narrowly avoided the loss of his right arm. Proposed by his colonel for the cross he will say to him: "Give me the medal, that's enough". He received the military medal by decree of December 31, 1871, on the report of the Minister of War. He attends the events of the Commune and goes in search of other horizons. Armed with a pistol and fifteen francs, he left for Spain, which he traveled on foot for six months. Hiring his services en route to stonemasons. Back in Paris he joined the studio of François Jouffroy, then entered the Académie Julian in the studio of Henri Chapu where he found his friend from Valenciennes, Léon Fagel. Having never ceased to take an interest in his hometown and a member of several associations, he sat on the Cambrai reconstruction committee and took part in all the Parisian meetings where Cambrésiens were present. On his death, the eulogy is pronounced by the poet Dévigne, A. Dorchain and the mayor of Cambrai G. Desjardins. Fernand Créteur reads his biography. He is buried in Paris in the Montparnasse cemetery, near his parents-in-law. works In 1874, he made his debut at the Salon and subsequently exhibited every year. As a token of gratitude, he donated his first important work to the city of Cambrai. This is the stone statue of the Cambresian chronicler Enguerrand de Monstrelet, which he made in 1876 and which was erected in a public garden. It was destroyed by bombing in 1944. In 1877, he designed his statue of The Resurrection which adorns the tomb of his sister-in-law in the Père-Lachaise cemetery in Paris. This work was commissioned from him for a funerary monument in the Recoleta cemetery in Buenos Aires, and he agreed to make a copy. He exhibited Gilliat struggling with octopuses, which earned him a second medal at the Salon of 1879, then Before the Stone Age, which enabled him to obtain a travel grant and to visit Italy in 1881. In Florence, he modeled the sketch of The Blind and the Paralytic for which he was awarded the first medal at the Salon of 1883. In 1885, he requested, without obtaining it, a workshop at the Mobilier national or at the quai de l'Alma for his sculpture work. In 1886, he applied for a block of marble, which was refused. In 1888, he was commissioned to work on sculpture for the decoration of the Roubaix industrial school or the Universal Exhibition of 1889, which was unsuccessful. In 1889, after his gold medal at the Universal Exhibition in Paris, he decided to transform his Gilliat which he exhibited at the Salon of 1890. His work was purchased by the State for the Luxembourg Museum. Having become a member of the jury of the Salon des artistes français, he had the rules revised. This same year, his request for a work of sculpture will be closed for the reason that in 1889 he was bought a statue at the Salon for the sum of 10,000 francs5. A new request in 1894 obtained the same answer. At the end of the century, the city of Condé-sur-l'Escaut pre-selected him, as well as Léonie Duquesnoy and Jules Louis Mabille, to carry out the Monument de la Clairon, the native actress of this commune. It is finally Henri Gauquié who realizes the work. He sculpts feminine grace with his masterpiece Le Miroir6, exhibited at the Universal Exhibition of 1900. This statue represents the character of Chrysis from the novel Aphrodite by Pierre Louÿs. The follow-up given to his request to work on a sculpture for the Universal Exhibition of 1900, made in 1898, remains unknown. For Condé-sur-Escaut, in 1907 he created the Monument to General Léon de Poilloüe de Saint-Mars, French general of division. In 1904, he won a worldwide subscription launched for the creation of a Monument to the Vilmorins, erected in 1908 in a Parisian square. He was called to Algiers in 1912 to reproduce the features of the Duke of Cars, the general of the conquest of 1830, and also to make the medallion of General Maurice Bailloud, the successor of the previous conqueror, for the realization of a bronze plaque. affixed to the obelisk of the War Memorial of the African Army, erected on the heights of Fort l'Empereur, inaugurated by the Governor General of Algeria Charles Lutaud, on October 21, 1912 and destroyed with explosives for the safety of the inhabitants of Algiers in 1943. When the First World War broke out, he devoted himself to the work of refugees from the North and, as president of the Amicale de Cambrai, he devoted himself during the four years of the conflict with his friend Devignes to helping the people of Cambrésis. , driven out by war. In 1916, Senator Paul Bersez thanked the Minister of Fine Arts for the purchase of a work [Which?] by the artist. In 1918, Carlier asked the Minister of Fine Arts for a post of Inspector of Fine Arts and informed him that some of the bronze statues placed in the gardens of Cambrai had been damaged by the bombardments of May 1944. He collaborated with the architect Castex has a monumental fountain project for the city of Reims. After the war, he made bronzes of hairy people, copies of some of which adorn war memorials, in particular the statue of a soldier from the Great War bearing on its base "We don't pass!" which glorifies the fighters of Verdun.