Late 19th Century Pair of Circular Throne Chairs by Carlo Bugatti, Vellum, Walnut
About the Item
- Creator:Carlo Bugatti (Designer)
- Dimensions:Height: 36 in (91.44 cm)Width: 18 in (45.72 cm)Depth: 18 in (45.72 cm)
- Sold As:Set of 2
- Style:Modern (Of the Period)
- Materials and Techniques:
- Place of Origin:
- Date of Manufacture:circa 1900
- Condition:Replacements made: Tassels replaced circa 1970. Wear consistent with age and use. Wonderful warm honeycomb rich patina to the vellum. Pewter in amazing condition. Original overall condition, wear consistent with age and use. Tassels replaced Circa 1970. Minor rubbing the illustrations.
- Seller Location:Shrewsbury, GB
- Reference Number:1stDibs: LU5740224096802
Imaginative, bold and full of poetic details, the work of Carlo Bugatti pushed the boundaries of the Art Nouveau style. The Italian furniture designer and decorative artist’s celebrated chairs, tables and other pieces are representative of a range of influences that include European Gothic, Moorish traditions and classical Japanese art. Bugatti’s appetite for experimentation with new forms and materials has fueled the imaginations of designers everywhere.
Bugatti was born in 1856 in Milan. The son of successful interior decorator, sculptor and architect Giovanni Bugatti, Carlo set out to follow in his father’s footsteps, studying architecture at the Accademia di Belle Arti di Brera and working as a cabinetmaker. He moved to Paris in 1875 to continue his studies in design at the prestigious Academie des Beaux-Arts. By the early 1880s, Bugatti had moved back to Milan to continue his career in furniture design.
Antique Bugatti seating, center tables and other large furnishings are visually striking in their level of ornamentation. These works feature hand-carved motifs and were frequently inlaid with luxury materials such as mother-of-pearl, ebony and brass — his distinctive Throne chair (ca. 1900), for example, featured pierced copper and vellum. Detailed themes rooted in nature, stencils and geometric patterns adorn his venturesome decorative screens and handcrafted mahogany and walnut chairs and tables.
In 1888, the designer displayed his work publicly for the first time, showcasing pieces at the Industrial Arts Exhibition in Milan and later at the Italian Exhibition in London. His flamboyant furniture led to his becoming an overnight success among members of the aristocracy, who flooded him with commissions to design custom furniture for their homes. In 1904, Bugatti and his family moved to France, where designed furniture for department stores such as Maison Dufayel and Le Bon Marché. His two sons also pursued work in design — Rembrandt Bugatti became a noted sculptor while Ettore gained renown as a leading automobile designer and manufacturer.
Although his furniture became increasingly subdued in appearance over the years — and he would eventually begin to design serveware and jewelry — Bugatti garnered acclaim throughout his career. He received an award at the 1900 Paris Exposition and exhibited interiors and a furniture collection at the inaugural International Exposition of Modern Decorative Arts in Turin, Italy, in 1902. Today, Bugatti’s work remains on permanent display at the Musée de la Chartreuse in Molsheim, France.
Find antique Carlo Bugatti seating, tables and case pieces on 1stDibs.
- ShippingRetrieving quote...Ships From: Shrewsbury, United Kingdom
- Return Policy
A return for this item may be initiated within 3 days of delivery.
- Late 19th Century Carlo Bugatti Large Centre Table with Vellum & Beaten CopperBy Carlo BugattiLocated in Shrewsbury, GBA large Centre Carlo Bugatti table with the most beautiful intricate decorations. Within the highly stylised decoration you can see many cultural references and inspirations - Mooris...Category
Antique Late 19th Century Italian Center TablesMaterials
- Late 19th Century Large Full Length Key Hole Mirror by Carlo BugattiBy Carlo BugattiLocated in Shrewsbury, GBMany of Carlo Bugatti's superior pieces were commissioned by a number of the Royal Houses of Europe, some of the Great Estates of America and Europe and some of the most successful families from around the world. including such amazing one of a kind example such as this important and rare majestic Carlo Bugatti Keyhole Mirror...Category
20th Century Italian Floor Mirrors and Full-Length MirrorsMaterials
- Carlo Bugatti 19th Century Three Seater Sofa, Japanese, Moorish, Islamic, EuropeanBy Carlo BugattiLocated in Shrewsbury, GBMany of Carlo Bugatti's superior pieces were commissioned by a number of the Royal Houses of Europe, some of the Great Estates of America and Europe and some of the most successful families from around the world, including this truly Magnificent sofa which until recently was held in the Rothschild home, Bedfordshire England. The attention to detail is truly Bugatti at his best, this work of art is composed of two curule chairs being joined by a lovers bench...Category
20th Century European SofasMaterials
- 19th Century Gillows of Lancaster Walnut & Leather Upholstered Library Arm ChairBy Gillows of Lancaster & LondonLocated in Shrewsbury, GBA 19th century Gillows of Lancaster walnut and leather upholstered library arm chair, with exceptional overall condition and colour. The button down ...Category
Antique Mid-19th Century British Victorian ArmchairsMaterials
- Late 19th Century Rococo Marble Topped Mahogany & Ormolu Mounted Centre TableLocated in Shrewsbury, GBA 19th century marble topped mahogany and ormolu mounted centre table. It has distinctive Rococo Revival charecteristics being marble topped, made of mahogany, with ornate nature bas...Category
Antique Late 19th Century Rococo Revival Center TablesMaterials
- Mid 19th Century Brown Leather Library Chair with Carved Dolphin Arms, MahoganyLocated in Shrewsbury, GBMid 19th century mahogany leather library armchair. The button down deep brownleather is in perfect condition and luxurious to touch. The mahogany carved fish arms provide superb int...Category
Antique Mid-19th Century ArmchairsMaterials
- 19th Century Walnut Throne ChairLocated in London, by appointment onlyA substantial walnut throne chair, the curved back with arms terminating in eagle heads, the whole raised on zoomorphic legs terminating in lions p...Category
Antique Mid-19th Century English Victorian ChairsMaterials
- Late 19th Century Italian Renaissance Style Carved Walnut Pair of Throne ChairsLocated in Casale Monferrato, ITImpressive rare pair of throne chairs in perfect Italian Renaissance style, late 19th century. Made of solid walnut wood. The finely carved wooden backrest with very complex decorati...Category
Antique 1880s Italian Renaissance ChairsMaterials
Faux Leather, Walnut
- Rare Oak and Parchment Chair by Carlo BugattiBy Carlo BugattiLocated in Montreal, QCRare oak and parchment chair by Carlo Bugatti han painted with birds and leaves motifs. Marked to underside ‘Mobili Brevettat Bugatti. Italy: circa 1904 Carlo Bugatti was a famous designer active at the turn of the century. His pieces are rare and highly prized. He was the father of Rembrandt Bugatti who was a renowned sculptor, his work is also highly valuable and very rare since he died at 32. Ettore...Category
Antique Early 1900s Italian Art Nouveau ChairsMaterials
- 19th Century Italian Renaissance Carved Walnut Pair of Throne ChairsLocated in Casale Monferrato, ITImpressive rare pair of throne chairs in perfect Italian Renaissance style. Made of solid walnut wood. The finely carved wooden backrest with ver...Category
Antique 1880s Italian Renaissance ChairsMaterials
- Rosewood + Parchment Accent Chair in-the-style Carlo BugattiBy Carlo BugattiLocated in Los Angeles, CANice accent chair for any interior Italian rosewood construction with parchment / leather seat and backrest Original vintage condition showing minor ware / patina consistent with age...Category
Late 20th Century Italian Modern ChairsMaterials
Rosewood, Parchment Paper
Recently ViewedView All
The 1stDibs PromiseLearn More
Expertly Vetted Sellers
Confidence at Checkout
Trusted Global Delivery