Pair of Austrian Secessionist Bentwood Open Armchairs
About the Item
- Dimensions:Height: 30.25 in (76.84 cm)Width: 21 in (53.34 cm)Depth: 21 in (53.34 cm)
- Sold As:Set of 2
- Style:Vienna Secession (Of the Period)
- Materials and Techniques:
- Place of Origin:
- Date of Manufacture:1905
- Condition:Wear consistent with age and use. Minor losses.
- Seller Location:NYC, NY
- Reference Number:1stDibs: LU807631745502
Jacob & Josef Kohn
While the first name that comes to mind when thinking of bentwood furniture might be Thonet (maker of the iconic Thonet No. 14 chair or “bistro chair”), Michael Thonet and his subsequent studio, the Gebrüder Thonet (Thonet Brothers), had a strong competitor in 19th-century Vienna: Jacob & Josef Kohn (also referred to as J. & J. Kohn).
Founded in 1849 by a father and son with the motto “Be one step ahead,” Jacob & Josef Kohn created modern furniture for indoors and out from Austrian beech. At the turn of the 20th century, after establishing itself with mastery of everything from chairs to coatracks and even doll furniture, J. & J. Kohn began working closely with the Wiener Werkstätte, the artisan cooperative cofounded by Austrian architect and designer Josef Hoffmann (Gustav Klimt and Koloman Moser were also members). Through this partnership, J. & J. Kohn produced an array of furniture in bentwood, cane and upholstery, which it sold through showrooms across Europe and North America. Its designs throughout the first decade of the 20th century reflect the Art Nouveau movement that was quickly gaining traction across Europe.
Price wars and mergers ensued during the first World War, and a company that Jacob & Josef Kohn had merged with became part of the world’s largest furniture manufacturer in 1923. The new conglomerate went on to produce examples of its bentwood furniture in keeping with the modern style of the Vienna Secession. While Thonet rebuilt, rebranded and expanded in the United States and elsewhere after World War II, J. & J. Kohn never produced furniture under that name again.
Find a variety of J. & J. Kohn furniture — including bentwood wingback chairs designed by Josef Hoffmann, beech nesting tables and more — at 1stDibs.
- ShippingRetrieving quote...Ships From: Tappan, NY
- Return PolicyThis item cannot be returned.
- Armchair or Desk Chair in the Manner of Andre SornayBy Andre SornayLocated in NYC, NYA fine armchair in the manner Andre Sornay with nailhead details and four disc decorations on the back splat, upholstered in a vintage Japanese obi.Category
Vintage 1940s French Modern ArmchairsMaterials
- Pair of Art Deco Chairs with Carved Scrolling SidesLocated in NYC, NYA pair of Art Deco chairs with Macassar sides with scalloped sides. Excellent scale. Ex. Sotheby's Paris.Category
Early 20th Century French ArmchairsMaterials
Macassar, Leather, Ebony
- Fabulous Set of 12 Dining ChairsLocated in NYC, NYA set of 12 cylindrical ash framed chairs with a circular red lacquered wood seat circa 1980 Memphis inspired and beautifully executed with molded resin, w...Category
Vintage 1980s Italian Mid-Century Modern ChairsMaterials
- Ron Arad ChairBy Ron AradLocated in NYC, NY'Horns' chair by Ron Arad 1985-1989 Measures: 108.2 x 50 x 48.5 cm (42 5/8 x 19 5/8 x 19 1/8 in.) Aluminium, stainless steel.Category
Vintage 1980s English Industrial ChairsMaterials
- Sculpture Chair in Copper Pipe by T J VolonisBy TJ VolonisLocated in NYC, NYAn unusual sculpture of copper pipe fittings made into the shape of a chair by studio artist T. J. Volonis.Category
21st Century and Contemporary American ChairsMaterials
- Pair of Austrian Bentwood Beech Wood ArmchairsBy Jacob & Josef KohnLocated in New York, NYPair of Austrian Bentwood (Secessionist) beech wood Armchairs with slat design & upholstered seat & back (J&J KOHN paper label under seat) (Matching loveseat: JOH021)Category
20th Century Austrian Vienna Secession ArmchairsMaterials
- Elegant Pair of Austrian Secessionist Style Ebonized Open ArmchairsLocated in San Francisco, CAeach with ebonized and carved reeded frame having arching backs above continuous arms raised on tapering legsCategory
Vintage 1950s Austrian Vienna Secession ArmchairsMaterials
- Pair of Austrian Secessionist Side Armchairs by Koloman Moser for J & J KohnBy Jacob & Josef Kohn, Koloman MoserLocated in New York City, NYA fine pair of Austrian Secessionist bentwood chairs for a salon / living room, office, bedroom, foyer... in walnut stained beechwood with upholstered seat and back. Designed by Koloman Moser: March 30, 1868 – October 18, 1918 Manufactured by J & J Kohn in 1910 Geometric arms and square back rests complement the sweeping curved surround featuring horizontal slat design which decorates the chair backs. Austere planes and strict geometry typical of the Wiener Werkstätte are featured on this pair of armchairs. Elegantly curved and straight edged wooden elements provide Stark architectural planes, timelessness, comfort and beauty. The set's upholstery was from Backhausen, the famous, high end textile house that has been in business since 1849 and made fabric for these original designers during the period. Moser was an important designer. He was a founding members and artistic director of the Jugenstil art movement. Along with Josef Hoffman, Moser co founded the iconic Wiener Werkstätte ( Viennese workshop) . The Wiener Werkstätte was a workshop dedicated to the production of craftwork. Art Deco armchairs, Club Chairs, bergere chairs, canapes, chairs, chaise longues, club chairs, corner chairs, daybeds, living room sets, Dining Room Chairs, Lounge Chairs, Office Chairs and Desk Chairs...Category
Early 20th Century Austrian Vienna Secession ArmchairsMaterials
- Pair of Thonet Cafe Daum Style Bentwood ArmchairsBy Salvatore Leone, Michael ThonetLocated in Rio Vista, CARare pair of Michael Thonet Cafe Daum style bentwood armchairs produced by Salvatore Leone. Originally designed for the Cafe Daum in Vienna. These chairs fea...Category
Antique 19th Century Italian Vienna Secession ArmchairsMaterials
Bentwood, Cane, Lacquer
- Austrian Bentwood 'Secessionist' Beechwood LoveseatBy Jacob & Josef KohnLocated in New York, NYAustrian bentwood 'Secessionist' beechwood loveseat with slat design and upholstered seat and back (J&J KOHN paper label under seat). Jacob & Jos...Category
20th Century Austrian Vienna Secession LoveseatsMaterials
- Pair of J. and J. Kohn Austrian Bentwood and Cane ChairsBy Jacob & Josef KohnLocated in Rio Vista, CARare pair of Austrian Viennese bentwood chairs produced by J. and J. John. handcrafted beechwood frames featuring a round handwoven cane seat. Supported by four round legs conjoined by a round stretcher. Each seat is stamped JJ Kohn Austria...Category
20th Century Austrian Vienna Secession ChairsMaterials
Cane, Beech, Bentwood