- Want more images or videos?Request additional images or videos from the seller
Rattan Lounge Chair by John Hutton for Donghia
- DimensionsHeight: 32 in (81.28 cm)Width: 31 in (78.74 cm)Depth: 36 in (91.44 cm)Seat Height: 17 in (43.18 cm)
- StyleHollywood Regency (Of the Period)
- Materials and Techniques
- Place of Origin
- Date of Manufacture1980’s
- ConditionReupholstered. Wear consistent with age and use.
- Seller LocationPalm Springs, CA
- Reference Number1stDibs: LU938028454802
Shipping & Returns
- ShippingRetrieving quote...Ships From: Palm Springs, CA
- Return Policy
A return for this item may be initiated within 2 days of delivery.
About the Maker
With distinctive style touches like gray flannel upholstery and overstuffed seating, American designer Angelo Donghia (1935–85) was a visionary leader of bold interior design and furniture in the 1970s and ’80s. Although Donghia lived only to age 50, by the time of his death from AIDS-related pneumonia, his name graced numerous furniture and decor companies, in addition to his own interior designs.
After graduating from Parsons School of Design in 1959, Donghia joined the interiors firm of Yale R. Burge, and his star rose quickly from there. By 1963, he had been appointed vice president and in 1966, partner — a move that came with a name change for the firm to Burge-Donghia Interiors. In 1968, he founded the fabrics and wall coverings company & Vice Versa, and in 1978 he founded Donghia Furniture. With this holistic approach, Donghia was able to oversee nearly every element of an interior design project, which, for him, spanned everything from corporate offices (notably PepsiCo’s world headquarters in Purchase, New York) to the Metropolitan Opera Club at Lincoln Center to residential interiors for clients such as Diana Ross and Ralph Lauren.
After he inherited Burge’s firm, he continued to develop its reach as Donghia Associates. He opened a series of showrooms around the country to offer his designs to a wider audience, who loved the company’s marriage of minimal forms with luxe materials. His silver-foil ceilings, mixing of eclectic textile patterns and plush furniture set trends and, through mass marketing, influenced the direction of American interior design.
“I feel that I’ve developed my own style that is as classic and minimal as the ’30s style it reflects,” the designer once told New York magazine. In 2015, the retrospective “Angelo Donghia: Design Superstar” at the New York School of Interior Design chronicled his influence on all facets of modern interiors, from furnishings to wall coverings. It’s an approach that still resonates today. Donghia continued to operate as a company after his death, acquired by the Rubelli Group in 2005. After it filed for bankruptcy in 2020 and closed its showrooms, its name, designs, archives and inventory were acquired by Kravet.
Find authentic Donghia furniture today on 1stDibs.
- Clear Murano Glass and Brass Table Lamp by John Hutton for DonghiaBy Donghia, John HuttonLocated in Palm Springs, CAGlamorous 1980’s clear Murano glass and satin brass table lamp designed by John Hutton for Donghia. The lamp is signed on the bottom, where the cord comes out(see detail photos). Ne...Category
Vintage 1980s Italian Modern Table LampsMaterials
- Pair of Thebes Club Chairs by Randolph & Hein for Steve ChaseBy Randolph & Hein, John HuttonLocated in Palm Springs, CAPair of 1985 ‘Thebes Club Chairs’ designed by John Hutton for Randolph & Hein. This were special order by Steve Chase with the light desert crackle finish. The cushions are a lit...Category
Vintage 1980s American Modern Lounge ChairsMaterials
Velvet, Wood, Lacquer
- Pair of Orange Rattan Bamboo and Rawhide Lounge Chairs by McGuireBy McGuireLocated in Palm Springs, CAFabulous pair of bamboo and woven rawhide Lounge chairs by McGuire. The frames are in beautiful original condition, cushions have been newly recovered in a orange fabric with gold t...Category
Vintage 1980s American Modern Lounge ChairsMaterials
Hide, Fabric, Bamboo
- Pair of Walnut Lounge Chairs by Michael Taylor for BakerBy Michael Taylor, Baker Furniture CompanyLocated in Palm Springs, CAA beautiful pair of dark walnut wood with aged brass detail lounge chairs from the “Far East” collection by Michael Taylor for Baker Furniture. The frames are in beautiful original c...Category
Vintage 1960s American Mid-Century Modern Lounge ChairsMaterials
- Brass and Purple Mohair Greek Key Lounge Chair by MastercraftBy MastercraftLocated in Palm Springs, CAGlamorous 1970’s polish brass greek key lounge chair by Mastercraft. Newly recovered with a soft purple mohair. The frame is in original condition, so it shows minor wear consiste...Category
Vintage 1970s American Hollywood Regency Lounge ChairsMaterials
- Pair of Groovy Lounge Chairs by Pierre PaulinBy Pierre PaulinLocated in Palm Springs, CAPair of ‘Groovy’ lounge chairs designed in 1972 by Pierre Paulin. Pair of Poufs by Vladimir Kagan are available in a separate listing. Newly upholstered in a soft stretch jersey. M...Category
Vintage 1970s Dutch Mid-Century Modern Lounge ChairsMaterials
Aluminum$12,000 / set
- John Hutton for Donghia Anziano ChairsBy John Hutton, DonghiaLocated in Palm Springs, CABeautiful set of 6 John Hutton designed Anziano chairs for Donghia. These chairs are in black with black painted metal legs. They are in good age appropriate condition, although ther...Category
Vintage 1980s American Dining Room ChairsMaterials
Metal$7,800 / set
- White Anziano Chairs by John Hutton for Donghia, circa 1985By John Hutton, DonghiaLocated in North Miami, FLKlismos-style Anziano chairs, designed by John Hutton for Donghia, circa 1985, with newly restored white molded beechwood seats with black powder-coated tubular steel frames and orig...Category
Vintage 1980s American Post-Modern ChairsMaterials
- Rattan Chaise Lounge by John Hutton for Donghia Merbau CollectionBy John Hutton, DonghiaLocated in Los Angeles, CARattan Chaise Lounge in woven pencil reed. Designed by John Hutton for the Donghia Merbau collection. The Chaise includes a down filled stripped linen seat and back cushion. the orga...Category
20th Century Philippine Organic Modern Chaise LonguesMaterials
Rattan, Reed, Wood$5,520 Sale Price20% Off
- John Hutton for Donghia Club ChairBy Angelo Donghia, John HuttonLocated in Pasadena, CAThree John Hutton for Donghia club/dining chairs from the Block Island collection created circa 1995. This design is inspired by the work of the master Art Deco designer, Jean-Michel...Category
Late 20th Century American Organic Modern Club ChairsMaterials
Leather, Rattan, Mahogany$1,595 Sale Price / item25% Off
- Sublime Pair of Rattan and Mahogany Loungers by Hutton for Donghia, circa 1995By Donghia, John HuttonLocated in Atlanta, GAThese magnificent lounge chairs are shipped as professionally photographed and described in the listing narrative: Meticulously professionally restored and ready for upholstery. Expe...Category
1990s Unknown Organic Modern Club ChairsMaterials
- Vintage Coastal John Hutton Merbau Collection for Donghia Rattan Chaise LoungeBy John Hutton, DonghiaLocated in west palm beach, FLFantastic vintage Coastal rattan chaise lounge. A brilliant design by John Hutton for Donghia. Part of his coveted Merbau collection. Marked. Acquired from a Palm Beach estate.Category
Late 20th Century Philippine Chaise LonguesMaterials