An ornately hand-carved Nord Ovest 'Piedmontese' region Italian artifact, to the ecclesiastical taste. A long center or console table for placement in a great hall, salon, or as a 'standing desk' in a library. Detailed trestle-end carvings of 'Good versus Evil' above and below della Robbia manner garlands. Punch-carved background enhances the profuse foliate relief carvings of the apron; concealing three lockable drawers on one long side. The bull-nose edge of the table top is carved in animal scales. Three 'frieze' or apron drawers all have working locks and an appropriate key. Two 24 3/4" wide drawers surround a 19 3/4" wide center drawer. Each of the three is 26" deep with 3 1/4" interior height. The table top height of 33 3/4" precludes dining usage; though this would be an outstanding refectory serving console or buffet table. Ex: a Tuxedo Park, NY private collection of Renaissance furniture.
- Of the Period
- Place of origin
- Date of manufactureMid-16th Century
- Materials and techniques
- ConditionGood. Sound and sturdy condition given its age well in excess of four centuries; this table has undergone professional conservation, restoration, and polishing to museum artifact standards..
- WearWear consistent with age and use. Minor losses. Minor structural damages. Minor fading.
H 33.75 in. x W 83 in. x D 38 in.
H 85.73 cm x W 210.82 cm x D 96.52 cm
- Seller locationWoodbury, CT
- Seller reference number1606 JAEEE CAG
- Reference numberLU86674880593
About the Seller
1stdibs seller since 2009
Typical response time: 1 hr
Located in Woodbury, CT
You may also contact the seller by phone
Why Shop on 1stdibs?
Only Vetted, Professional Sellers
Buyer Protection Guaranteed
Fully Insured Global Deliveries
More From This Seller
You May Also Like