Chinoiserie Chin Hua Ebonized Dining Set by Raymond K. Sobota, 8 Piece Set
About the Item
- Dimensions:Height: 40 in (101.6 cm)Width: 24 in (60.96 cm)Depth: 23.5 in (59.69 cm)Seat Height: 19 in (48.26 cm)
- Sold As:Set of 8
- Style:Hollywood Regency (In the Style Of)
- Materials and Techniques:
- Place of Origin:
- Date of Manufacture:1970
- Condition:Wear consistent with age and use. Good Vintage Condition Please be aware that most of the items are vintage/antique and may have small defects or signs of age. However, we strive to provide clear and honest descriptions and photographs for every item. Please contact us for anything.
- Seller Location:Chicago, IL
- Reference Number:1stDibs: LU6791234131782
Known for its durable vintage display cabinets, nightstands and dressers made of cherry, oak, walnut and more, Century Furniture of Hickory, North Carolina, began as an upholstered goods company in 1947 but added case goods and sophisticated mahogany dining-room furnishings shortly thereafter.
Launched by Harley Ferguson Shuford Sr., a Hickory native who was born to a family of textile mill owners, Century Furniture was intended to be “the best furniture company in the world.” With respect to speed and efficiency, the brand found its footing midway through production on a government contract that Shuford had secured in the early days to manufacture thousands of five-drawer chests. The effort was significant, but it was also a teachable moment as far as Shuford and his team’s learning the ropes of running a factory.
After hiring designer Raymond K. Sobota in 1950 and introducing the enormously popular Citation Collection in 1954, Century established its reputation as a leader in stylishly designed high-quality furniture. Sobota had furniture in his blood — after graduating from Kendall College of Art & Design in Grand Rapids, Michigan, he worked for his uncle Karl Schmidt, who was at the time a well-known furniture designer for Berkey and Gay and other makers in the Grand Rapids area, then known as America’s furniture capital. Sobota soon launched his own studio, designing furniture as a freelancer for various local manufacturers. Shuford found him by happenstance, journeying to Michigan’s second-largest city to offer a job to another designer who turned him down but recommended Sobota instead.
Century’s Citation line — a sizable collection for the brand that spanned furnishings for the bedroom, dining room and more — is revered in the world of vintage mid-century modern furniture collectors. The pieces sold very well during the 1950s, and the line is an oft-cited success story for Sobota, who would go on to win awards for his work and whose own catalogue of designs for the brand is massive.
In his 40-year career at Century, until he retired in 1995, he designed well over 100 furniture lines. Sobota’s nightstands, cabinets, side tables and more are characterized by his interest in Asian design, distinctly and brilliantly expressed in his Hollywood Regency–style Chin Hua line, which debuted during the 1970s. With its geometrically decorative brass drawer pulls and door handles as well as dining-chair seat-back carvings — all inspired by Asian motifs — this collection has rendered vintage pieces that saw Century’s craftsmen working with alluring ebonized walnut and more, some of the company’s most sought-after work today.
Also in the 1970s as well as in the 1980s, Manhattan interior designer Jay Spectre introduced an Art Deco–informed spirit at Century Furniture, creating oversize, inviting lounge chairs and bentwood benches that featured plush tufted leather cushions. Spectre’s Eclipse collection was at one point among the largest-selling lines for the brand.
Century licensed collections with celebrity interior designers such as Thomas O’Brien, Charlotte Moss and Bunny Williams among others. In 2013, when Alex Shuford III was named president of Century Furniture, the move marked the succession of the third generation to lead this company, which is today one of the world’s largest privately held manufacturers of high-end furniture.
- ShippingRetrieving quote...Ships From: Melrose Park, IL
- Return PolicyA return for this item may be initiated within 1 day of delivery.
- Vintage Asian Style Raymond Sobota for Century Furniture Tomei SofaBy Century FurnitureLocated in Chicago, ILVintage Asian Style Raymond Sobota for Century Furniture Tomei Sofa Beautiful vintage Asian Style Tomei sofa, part of the Chin Hua Collection de...Category
Vintage 1970s American Mid-Century Modern SofasMaterials
- Vintage Rockledge Design Studios Dining/Bistro Set by Fred Garbotz, 3 Piece SetLocated in Chicago, ILVintage Rockledge Design Studios Dining/Bistro Set by Fred Garbotz - 3 Piece Set Super cool and Unique contemporary Concept dining set from Rockledge ...Category
Early 2000s American Space Age Dining Room SetsMaterials
- Mid-Century Modern McGuire Cane, 6 Piece Dining SetBy McGuireLocated in Chicago, ILMid-Century Modern McGuire cane - 6 piece dining set Mid-Century Modern original McGuire pink and white woven rattan armchairs with Classic McGuire whi...Category
Vintage 1970s Adam Style Dining Room SetsMaterials
Glass, Fabric, Cane, Rattan
- Mid Century Modern Heywood Wakefield 8 Piece Dining SetBy Heywood-Wakefield Co.Located in Chicago, ILMid Century Modern Heywood Wakefield 8 Piece Dining Set The Mid Century Modern Heywood Wakefield 8 Piece Dining Set is a timeless representation of mid-century design excellence. Th...Category
Mid-20th Century American Mid-Century Modern Dining Room SetsMaterials
- Art Deco American of Martinsville Burlwood 8 Piece Dining SetBy American of MartinsvilleLocated in Chicago, ILArt Deco American of Martinsville burlwood 8 piece dining set. Stunning Art Deco American of Martinsville burlwood 8 piece dining set. This set includes: table with 1 leaf, and 6 chairs. Unique mirrored burlwood dining table with a leaf. Beautiful set of 6 art deco campaign style dining chairs...Category
Vintage 1970s Art Deco Dining Room ChairsMaterials
Fabric, Cane, Rattan, Mirror, Burl
- Art Deco Glass Extending Dining Table with High Back Dining Chairs - 9 Piece SetLocated in Chicago, ILVintage Italian Art Deco Rectangular Glass Center Birdseye Maple and Black Lacquer Extending Dining Table with 6 High Back Dining...Category
Late 20th Century Italian Art Deco Dining Room SetsMaterials
Glass, Wood, Lacquer
- CENTURY Chin Hua by Raymond Sobota Asian Chinoiserie 76 Inch Dining TableBy Century FurnitureLocated in Charlotte, NCAn Asian style dining table by high-quality furniture maker century, from their ""Chin Hua"" line designed by Raymond K Sobota. Rectangular in shape with Asian influenced details. To...Category
Late 20th Century American Chinoiserie Dining Room TablesMaterials
Maple, Burl, Lacquer
- CENTURY Chin Hua by Raymond Sobota Asian Chinoiserie Round Side TableBy Raymond Sabota, Century FurnitureLocated in Charlotte, NCAn Asian style round side table by high-quality furniture maker Century, from their Chin Hua" line designed by Raymond K Sobota. Burl maple hardwood, inlaid banded top with ogee edge...Category
Late 20th Century American Chinoiserie Side TablesMaterials
- CENTURY Chin Hua by Raymond Sobota Asian Chinoiserie End Side TableBy Raymond Sabota, Century FurnitureLocated in Charlotte, NCAn Asian style side table by high-quality furniture maker Century, from their Chin Hua" line designed by Raymond K Sobota. Burl maple hardwood with brass hardware, inlaid banded top ...Category
Late 20th Century American Chinoiserie Side TablesMaterials
- 62" Chin Hua Dining Table by Raymond Sobota for Century FurnitureBy Century FurnitureLocated in Pasadena, TXChin Hua dining table by Raymond Sobota for Century Furniture Raymond Karl Sobota (1914-2010) Dining table designed by Raymond K. Sobota for th...Category
Late 20th Century North American Chinoiserie Dining Room TablesMaterials
- Mid Century Chin Hua Side Tables or Nightstands by Raymond Sobota for CenturyBy Raymond SabotaLocated in Bedford Hills, NYBeautiful pair of Hollywood Regency side tables or nightstands by Raymond Sobota for Century Furniture.Category
Late 20th Century American Hollywood Regency Side TablesMaterials
- 1970s Century Furniture Chin Hua Table by Raymond K. SabotaBy Raymond Sabota, Century FurnitureLocated in Waxahachie, TXA rare monotone Chin Hua by Raymond K Sabota Burl Nightstand/ end table/ coffee table. Features beautiful walnut burlwood and Chinese style brass hardware on 2 hinged doors. It is in...Category
Vintage 1970s American Chinoiserie End TablesMaterials