- Want more images or videos?Request additional images or videos from the seller
Dining Room Set by Paul McCobb, Irwin Collection, circa 1950s
- CreatorPaul McCobb (Designer)
- DimensionsHeight: 29 in (73.66 cm)Width: 72 in (182.88 cm)Depth: 48 in (121.92 cm)
- Sold AsSet of 9
- StyleMid-Century Modern (Of the Period)
- Materials and Techniques
- Place of Origin
- Date of Manufacture1950s
- ConditionRefinished. Reupholstered.
- Seller LocationStamford, CT
- Reference NumberSeller: SM18921stDibs: LU928921317392
Shipping & Returns
- ShippingRetrieving quote...Ships From: Stamford, CT
- Return Policy
A return for this item may be initiated within 2 days of delivery.
About the Designer
You could call Paul McCobb a man of parts. As a furniture designer, his work combined the attributes of many of his now better-known peers. Like Bauhaus designers such as Ludwig Mies van der Rohe and Marcel Breuer, McCobb's furniture had purity of form and line. Like the designs of Florence Knoll and George Nelson and his associates, McCobb’s work was efficient and purposeful. And even like George Nakashima, he was adept at interpreting traditional forms, in particular those of chairs, for the 20th century.
More than any other designer beside Russel Wright, with his ubiquitous ceramic tableware, McCobb was arguably responsible for the introduction of modern design into middle-class American households — if for no other reason than that he designed the 1952 set for the original Today show. McCobb also designed cohesive lines of furnishings, such as his best-known Planner Group, that gave homes an instant “look.” McCobb designed for several companies, most notably Directional, the New York firm that also produced designs by other legends, such as Paul Evans and Vladimir Kagan.
The signal aesthetic attribute of McCobb designs is that he completely forsook ornament — his pieces have no flourishes. And yet, because they are honest — the chairs, desks and tables are made of solid wood, usually maple or birch, often paired with frames and legs of wrought iron; the cabinets are traditionally scaled; the seating pieces have historic antecedents such as the Windsor chair — McCobb’s mid-century modern work has warmth and presence.
As you can see from the offerings on 1stDibs, vintage Paul McCobb designs are the pin-striped suit, or the little black dress, of a décor: an essential.
- Set of Armchairs by Paul McCobb, Connoisseur Collection, 1950sBy Paul McCobbLocated in Stamford, CTPair of armchairs designed by the iconic Paul McCoob for his Connoisseur Collection, circa 1950-1959. Completely restored mahogany framework, reupholstered in taupe leather, brass st...Category
Mid-20th Century American Mid-Century Modern ArmchairsMaterials
- Connoisseur Collection Side Chair by Paul McCobb, C. 1950sBy Paul McCobbLocated in Stamford, CTThe highly sought-after Connoisseur Collection side or desk chair, designed by Paul McCobb, circa 1950-1959. Executed in walnut, fully restored, and reupholstered in taupe leather, s...Category
Mid-20th Century American Mid-Century Modern Side ChairsMaterials
- Occasional Table in Mahogany by Paul McCobb, Connoisseur Collection, C. 1950sBy Paul McCobbLocated in Stamford, CTAn occasional table executed in mahogany, featuring Paul McCobb's signature brass accents, book shelve,s and a single large drawer that provides ample storage space. Completely resto...Category
Mid-20th Century American Mid-Century Modern End TablesMaterials
- Paul McCobb "Connoisseur Collection" Chess Table and Chairs, C. 1950sBy Paul McCobbLocated in Stamford, CTA rarely seen chess set designed by the Iconic Paul McCobb, circa 1950-1959. What makes the find even more special is the two matching chairs. Executed in mahogany and rosewood, comp...Category
Mid-20th Century American Mid-Century Modern Game TablesMaterials
- Paul McCobb "Squirm" Lounge Chairs, 1950sBy Paul McCobbLocated in Stamford, CTThe iconic "Squirm" lounge chairs designed by Paul McCobb. Completely restored, reupholstered in Italian bouclé. Other designers from this era include Paul McCobb, George Nakashim...Category
Mid-20th Century American Mid-Century Modern Lounge ChairsMaterials
Bouclé, Walnut$12,000 / set
- Bronze and Ebony Cabinet by Paul McCobb, Calvin Group, C. 1950sBy Paul McCobbLocated in Stamford, CTA classic cabinet designed by Paul McCobb for his Calvin Group line of furnishings, circa 1950-1959. Featuring bi-fold doors which open up to reveal four drawers, providing ample sto...Category
Mid-20th Century American Mid-Century Modern Commodes and Chests of DrawersMaterials
- 1950s Paul McCobb Connoisseur Collection Mahogany Dining Set - 9 PiecesBy Paul McCobbLocated in Monrovia, CAPaul McCobb "Connoisseur Collection" designed by Paul McCobb. "Connoisseur collection" mahogany dining table and dining chairs for H. Sacks & sons, Brookline MA, USA 1950s sleek mid ...Category
Mid-20th Century Mid-Century Modern Dining Room SetsMaterials
- Server and Dining Room Set by Paul McCobbBy Paul McCobbLocated in Brooklyn, NYAdd timeless Mid-Century Modern style to your dining room with this vintage set by Paul McCobb. It includes an expanding dining table, six chairs (2 with arms, 4 without), and a larg...Category
Mid-20th Century American Mid-Century Modern Dining Room SetsMaterials
Upholstery, Walnut$8,500 / set
- Paul McCobb Irwin Collection Mahogany Dining Table for Calvin, 1950sBy Paul McCobbLocated in Dallas, TXMid-Century Modern Mahogany dining table conceived by world renowned interior designer Paul McCobb and produced by Calvin for the "Irwin Collection" which was introduced in 1952. Thi...Category
Mid-20th Century American Dining Room TablesMaterials
- Paul McCobb Irwin Collection Coffee Table, Calvin Furniture, 1950sBy Paul McCobb, Calvin FurnitureLocated in Los Angeles, CAVintage 1950s coffee table designed by Paul McCobb, part of the Irwin Collection for Calvin Furniture. Features a brass base and mahogany top with three drawers. The mahogany has bee...Category
Vintage 1950s American Mid-Century Modern Coffee and Cocktail TablesMaterials
- Paul McCobb Maple Dining Room Set/ Table, 2 Leaves and 6 ChairsBy Paul McCobb, Planner GroupLocated in Philadelphia, PAPaul McCobb for Winchendon Furniture Company, dining room set. Bought from the Original owners and newly refinished. 1 Captain's chair, measuring 22" wide. 32" high, 21" deep. 3 of t...Category
Vintage 1950s American Mid-Century Modern Dining Room SetsMaterials
- Paul McCobb Irwin Collection for Calvin Walnut Dining TableBy Paul McCobb, Calvin FurnitureLocated in Wilmington, DEOffered is a vintage Mid-Century Modern dining table, designed by Paul McCobb for the Irwin Collection by Calvin. The table is made of walnut featuring an ovular tabletop with alumin...Category
Vintage 1950s American Mid-Century Modern Dining Room TablesMaterials