Pair, Barbara Barry Baker Furniture Walnut Oval End Side Table Newly Refinished
About the Item
- Dimensions:Height: 23.25 in (59.06 cm)Width: 29 in (73.66 cm)Depth: 24 in (60.96 cm)
- Sold As:Set of 2
- Style:Mid-Century Modern (Of the Period)
- Materials and Techniques:
- Place of Origin:
- Date of Manufacture:1980
- Condition:Rewired: Newly Refinished. Wear consistent with age and use. The Pair of Tables are in newly refinished condition. Please see pictures.
- Seller Location:Miami, FL
- Reference Number:Seller: 000111/3351stDibs: LU886331449812
Barbara Barry intends for her furniture designs to connect people to the splendor of the natural world around them. Her lounge chairs, tables and other pieces reflect the influence of the Hollywood Regency style as well as Barry’s admiration for organic materials and the subdued color palettes of the great outdoors. Simple and calming, her furniture is quietly elegant and has garnered Barry renown worldwide as a leader in interior design.
A native of California, Barry was surrounded by artists from the moment she was born and credits her mother with instilling a strong sense of confidence in her. Barry’s mother, a painter, encouraged her to nurture her creative impulses. The designer initially pursued a degree in art — she is an active painter today — but quickly eschewed the norms of formal education, leaving school to travel through Europe.
While traveling, Barry fell in love with the wines and cheeses of the cities she visited, inspiring her to open her own cheese shop in Mendocino upon her return to California. Her predilection for interior design quickly began to show itself as she went about setting up and running her store, and Barry began drawing designs for her own furniture. She moved to Los Angeles and established her own design firm in 1985.
Working with small local businesses to get her pieces made, she became more passionate about expressing herself through her furniture and quickly amassed a following for her work. Today, for its thoughtful merge of clean lines, 1940s Hollywood glamour and the soft palettes of the sea, sky and foliage of her state, her understated furniture is an international success.
Barry is expressly opposed to the use of patterns, opting instead for solid neutrals that pair well with warm brass or vintage bronze lighting fixtures and allow for the colors in a painting on the living room wall to pop. She is focused on bringing harmony and order into a space, and her minimalist designs — acid-washed mahogany side tables, armchairs with dark stained rattan backrests — are sought after by A-list celebrities, politicians and leading manufacturers alike. Barry has created exclusive furniture collections and home decor for legendary brands including Baker Furniture, McGuire Furniture Company and others.
Baker Furniture Company
Owing to the company’s collaborations with many leading designers and artists over time, vintage Baker furniture is consistently sought after today. The heritage brand’s chairs, dining tables, desks and other pieces are widely known to collectors and design enthusiasts for their fine craftsmanship and durability.
Within a few decades of its launch, Baker Furniture Company evolved into one of the largest and most important furniture manufacturers in the United States, and became known for its high-quality production standards. Siebe Baker and business partner Henry Cook founded the original iteration of Baker Furniture Company in 1890 in Allegan, Michigan, after immigrating to the United States from the Netherlands. Allegan is a small town west of Grand Rapids, which, at that time was home to Widdicomb Furniture Co. and more and was known as America’s furniture capital. The company manufactured doors and interior moldings, and introduced a combination desk and bookcase in 1893. In the early 1900s, Siebe became sole owner of the business.
Among others, stage designer Joseph Urban and modernist designer Kem Weber contributed designs to Baker in the 1920s. In 1932, under the leadership of Siebe’s son, Hollis, who started at the company as a salesman but took the reins when his father passed in 1925, Baker Furniture introduced bedroom pieces and debuted its Manor House collection, which made reproductions of European furnishings available to the American market. (Hollis was an avid traveler and procured antiques overseas for the company to reproduce in the United States.) Soon, Baker Furniture Company moved to Holland, Michigan, and eventually opened showrooms in Grand Rapids and elsewhere.
Pioneering Scandinavian designer Finn Juhl created a Danish modern line for Baker in 1951, and the company produced his award-winning Chieftain chair for a short time. In the late 1950s, Baker introduced the Milling Road label to reach a younger audience with stylish but less costly furnishings like console tables, walnut dining chairs and more, and in 1961, British furniture designer T.H. Robsjohn-Gibbings introduced a modern neoclassical line at Baker.
The 1960s and ’70s saw the introduction of historic reproduction furniture lines such as Woburn Abbey and the Historic Charleston collection, which remain very popular to this day. In 1990, Baker was licensed to produce a furniture line from Colonial Williamsburg. That same year, the Smithsonian Museum introduced Baker’s Chippendale chair into its permanent collection and the Grand Rapids Art Museum dedicated an exhibition to Baker’s 100-year anniversary, a showcase that included 150 pieces of furniture Siebe Baker had collected as part of a larger assortment that had served as inspiration for his designs.
Today, vintage Baker furniture, such as its elegant mahogany nightstands and teak credenzas — particularly those crafted by Finn Juhl — sees high demand online and elsewhere. The company continues to produce contemporary collections with well-known designers such as Bill Sofield, Barbara Barry and Kara Mann and remains on par with some of the highest quality furniture in the industry.
- ShippingRetrieving quote...Ships From: Miami, FL
- Return PolicyA return for this item may be initiated within 7 days of delivery.
- Mid-Century Modern Lucite and Glass Side Drink End Table BaseLocated in Miami, FLMid-Century Modern Lucite and Glass End, Side or Drink Table consisting of heavy Lucite plates vertically arranged and held together by two cylindrical Lucite rods. Rectangle Glass T...Category
Vintage 1980s American Mid-Century Modern End TablesMaterials
- Brass & Tessellated Stone on Bamboo Wood Side, Drink, End Table Maitland SmithBy Maitland SmithLocated in Miami, FLWe offer a Maitland-Smith Style Mid-Century Modern round side, drink, end table made out of a Bend Bamboo Tripod Base with a Tessellated Stone over Wood Top. The Stone Top has an in...Category
Late 20th Century Philippine Mid-Century Modern Side TablesMaterials
- 1970 French Style Bend Steel Round Glass Top End Side Drink Table Brass FinialBy Maison JansenLocated in Miami, FLMid-Century Modern French Maison Jansen Style Bend Steel Side, End or Drink Table with round Glass Top insert. Brass Finial Decor at the Center where the sculptural Base and Top fra...Category
Late 20th Century American Mid-Century Modern End TablesMaterials
- Jens Risom Scandinavian Modern Two-Tone Walnut Nightstand Bedside End Table 1950By Jens Risom, KnollLocated in Miami, FL1950 Jens Risom designed walnut nightstand, bedside table or end table for Knoll. Features one drop door and a storage shelf above, perfectly suited for storing necessaries and numerous small items. Scandinavian Modern Craftsmanship made in America for Knoll. In good vintage condition with minor signs of wear. Ready for a new Home Setting. Interior measures 19 inches wide by 15 inches deep...Category
Vintage 1950s American Scandinavian Modern End TablesMaterials
- Asian Modern Far East Collection Round Table Michael Taylor Baker Furniture PairBy Michael Taylor, Baker Furniture CompanyLocated in Miami, FLPair of Asian Modern round Baker Far East Collection walnut coffee tables. Fully restored and ready for use. One table is without foot glides and the height is 0.25 inches lower. ...Category
Vintage 1960s American Chinese Export CredenzasMaterials
- Pair of Franco Albini Ottomans, Side Table, Poufs or Footstools Italy 1960By Franco AlbiniLocated in Miami, FLPair of 1960s vintage style of Franco Albini & Franca Helg round handwoven rattan, wicker ottoman, pouf, footstool or side table. Exemplary construction, woven ties are firmly linke...Category
Vintage 1960s Italian Mid-Century Modern Ottomans and PoufsMaterials
Rattan, Wicker, Cane
- Barbara Barry for Baker Mahogany and Gold Gilt Console Table, Newly RefinishedBy Barbara Barry, Baker Furniture CompanyLocated in South Bend, INAn exceptional monumental modern neoclassical or Art Deco style console or sofa table By Barbara Barry for Baker Furniture USA, circa 1990s Mahogany, with gold gilt trim Measures...Category
Late 20th Century American Neoclassical Console TablesMaterials
- Baker Furniture Mid-Century Modern Walnut and Cane End Tables, Newly RefinishedBy Baker Furniture CompanyLocated in South Bend, INAn exceptional pair of Mid-Century Modern nightstands or end tables By Baker Furniture USA, mid-20th century Gorgeous book-matched walnut, with caned lower shelf and chrome ...Category
Mid-20th Century American Mid-Century Modern End TablesMaterials
- Barbara Barry for Baker Mahogany Two-Tier Center Table, Newly RefinishedBy Baker Furniture Company, Barbara BarryLocated in South Bend, INAn elegant modern mahogany two-tier game table or center table By Barbara Barry for Baker Furniture USA, circa 1990s Dark mahogany, with scalloped edge and single drawer. ...Category
1990s American Modern Center TablesMaterials
- Barbara Barry for Baker Modern Regency Dark Mahogany Three-Tier Side TableBy Baker Furniture Company, Barbara BarryLocated in South Bend, INA gorgeous Modern Regency style three-tier dark mahogany occasional side table By Barbara Barry for Baker Furniture USA, Circa 1990s Measures: 30"W x 27.75"D x 24.5"H. Go...Category
Late 20th Century American Modern Side TablesMaterials
- Barbara Barry for Baker Furniture Mahogany Vanity or Console Table, RefinishedBy Baker Furniture Company, Barbara BarryLocated in South Bend, INA gorgeous contemporary mahogany vanity dressing table, console table, or entry table By Barbara Barry for Baker Furniture USA, Circa 1990s Measures: 32"W x 18"D x 32.25"H. ...Category
Late 20th Century American Modern VanitiesMaterials
- Baker Furniture Georgian Carved Mahogany Console or Sofa Table, Newly RefinishedBy Baker Furniture CompanyLocated in South Bend, INAn exceptional Georgian style console or sofa table By Baker Furniture USA, Circa 1980s Carved mahogany, with shell motif and hairy paw feet. Measures: 58.5"W x 23.5"D x ...Category
Late 20th Century American Georgian Console TablesMaterials