Items Similar to Very Fine and Large Orientalist Oil on Canvas Titled "Ashura Rituals, Tangier"
- Want more images or videos?Request additional images or videos from the seller
1 of 8
Very Fine and Large Orientalist Oil on Canvas Titled "Ashura Rituals, Tangier"
Gordon B. Coutts (Scottish/American, 1868-1937) A very fine and large orientalist oil on canvas titled "Ashura Rituals, Tangier" (Arabic: عاشوراء ʻĀshūrā’ - Urdu: عاشورا - Persian: عاشورا - Turkish: Aşure Günü). Signed and inscribed: 'Gordon Coutts/TANGIER' (lower right), circa 1920. Provenance: The Fisher Art Museum, University of Southern California. Gordon Coutts led a peripatetic career, born in Aberdeen, Scotland, he then studied and travelled to Glasgow, London, Paris and Rome before settling in Melbourne, Australia in 1891. In 1896 he moved to Sydney, where he taught at the Art Society of New South Wales, before returning back to Europe in 1899. With the climate of northern Europe detrimental to Coutts' poor health, he moved with his wife, Alice Grey, to the United States where he became a frequent exhibitor at the Bohemian Club in San Francisco. In 1920 he travelled to Tangiers, Morocco where, dressed as an Arab, he passed from tribe to tribe observing the lifestyle, customs and practices of the the village people and Bedouins. The present work depicts the celebration of Ashura. The day of Ashura is commemorated by Shi'ite Muslims; "A day of pain, pilgrimage and pageantry, it is one of the holiest in their religion. The word Ashura means 10, and refers to the tenth day of Muharram, the first month of the Islamic calendar. This is a period of mourning and cleansing, which marks the martyrdom of Hussein, grandson of the Prophet Muhammad. Coutts' visit to Tangiers coincided with the Ashura Festival, at a time when visitors were barred from attending such event. Coutts' natural curiosity and the fact that these rituals had never been photographed led Coutts to adopt a hooded local dress and try to pass unobserved in the crowd. He witnessed the pilgrims clad only in loose white blouses, their feet bare, dancing and leaping like dervishes, singing and shouting along the narrow streets of Tangier. They carried hatchets, bladed weapons and spiked iron balls on chains to self-inflict wounds. The artist recorded the pilgrims lacerating their own skulls, backs and shoulders, the blood streaming down their faces until they eventually drop from exhaustion. Each participant performs these rituals as a form of penitence. Measures: Height: 57 1/4 inches (145.4 cm). Width: 84 inches (213.4 cm). Works by Gordon B. Coutts are part of the collection of the following museums: The Oakland Museum, Oakland, California. The Cleveland Museum, Cleveland, Ohio. The National Art Gallery (Art Gallery of New South Wales), Sydney, Australia. Palm Springs Desert Museum, Palm Springs, California. Previously offered and illustrated at Christie's King Street in London on May 21, 2014, 19th Century European & Orientalist Art, Lot 56. Ref.: A2075
- CreatorGordon B. Coutts 1 (Artist)
- DimensionsHeight: 57.25 in. (145.42 cm)Width: 84 in. (213.36 cm)Depth: 3 in. (7.62 cm)
- StyleOther (In the Style Of)
- Materials and Techniques
- Place of Origin
- Date of Manufacturecirca 1920
- ConditionRepaired: A small patch professional restoration, about 1" x 1" right below the mule's right ear. Wear consistent with age and use. Minor fading. Overall condition is great with beautiful colors. A small patch professional restoration, about 1" x 1" right below the mule's right ear.
- Seller LocationLos Angeles, CA
- Reference NumberSeller: Ref.: A20751stDibs: LU179624325313
Shipping & Returns
- Shipping$599 In-Home Delivery Shippingto United States 0, arrives in 3-8 weeks. We recommend this shipping type based on item size, type and fragility.Delivered by appointment to the room of your choice.Ships From: Los Angeles, CA
- Return Policy
This item cannot be returned.
About the Seller
Located in Los Angeles, CA
5 / 5
These experienced sellers undergo a comprehensive evaluation by our team of in-house experts.
Established in 1982
1stDibs seller since 2016
78 sales on 1stDibs
Typical response time: <1 hour
More From This Seller
- By Hans ZatzkaLocated in Los Angeles, CAHans Zatzka (Austrian, 1859-1945) a superb quality oil on canvas titled "Flowers of the Alps" ("Blumen der Alpen...Category
Antique Late 19th Century Austrian Beaux Arts PaintingsMaterials
Gesso, Canvas, Wood, Giltwood$94,500 Sale Price24% Off
- By Hans ZatzkaLocated in Los Angeles, CAHans Zatzka (Austrian, 1859-1945) oil on canvas Titled "Madonna and Child" depicting a young Virgin Mary holding...Category
Early 20th Century Austrian Baroque Revival PaintingsMaterials
Gesso, Canvas, Giltwood
- By Otto PilnyLocated in Los Angeles, CAOtto pilny (Swiss, 1866-1936) orientalist painter - oil on canvas "The Slave Market". Signed and Dated (l/r): Ot...Category
Early 20th Century Swiss PaintingsMaterials
- By Hans ZatzkaLocated in Los Angeles, CAHans Zatzka (Austrian, 1859-1945) a superb quality oil on canvas titled "Spring Love" depicting a standing young...Category
Antique 1880s Austrian Belle Époque PaintingsMaterials
- Located in Los Angeles, CAA fine and large French 19th century old master school oil on canvas titled "Leda and The Swan" within a giltwoo...Category
Antique 19th Century French Renaissance Revival PaintingsMaterials
- Located in Los Angeles, CAA very fine Italian oil on canvas titled "The Solo Violinist" by Luigi Da Rios (Italian, 1844-1892), depicting a...Category
Antique 19th Century Italian Rococo PaintingsMaterials
Gesso, Canvas, Wood$14,850 Sale Price25% Off
You May Also Like
Large Orientalist Moorish Oil on Canvas Femme d' Alger
Located in North Hollywood, CA
Very large Orientalist Moorish oil on canvas. The scene is depicting a a woman in a harem palace, Algeria. " Femme d' Alger " After Addison Thomas Millar (American, 1860-1913) This i...
20th Century European Moorish Paintings
Italian Orientalist Oil on Canvas Painting
Located in Cypress, CA
Italian orientalist oil on canvas painting. 20th century. The fine oil painting depicting an orientalist woman dressed in traditional garments with a veil and pearls. Meticul...
20th Century Italian Paintings
Floral Oil on Canvas Titled Blossom
By Shigo Hirch
Located in Denton, TX
Large abstract painting signed Shigo Hirch, 1988.
20th Century Modern Paintings
Very Fine Impressionist Painting, Signed, Oil on Canvas, circa 1880-1910
Located in Aalsgaarde, DK
Very fine impressionist painting, signed, oil on canvas, circa 1880-1910. Good condition, and original frame. Measures: H. 83 W. 65 cm. H. 32.6 W. 25.5 in.
Antique Early 1900s French Paintings
Very Fine Cubustic European Painting, Oil on Canvas, French or German
Located in Aalsgaarde, DK
Very fine cubustic European painting, oil on canvas, French or German. Unclear signature. Very decorative painting. Measures: H. 56 W. 45 cm. H. 22 W. 17.7 in.
Early 20th Century French Paintings
1948 Raymond Wendell Oil on Canvas Titled "Mother"
By Raymond Wendell
Located in New Rochelle, NY
Raymond J Wendell (American, 1917 - ?) was a prolific artist, adept at portraits, commercial art, surrealism, and figure studies, in oils and watercolors. Wendell served in the U.S. ...
Vintage 1940s American Mid-Century Modern Paintings
Fine Impressionistic Painting, Oil on Canvas
Located in Aalsgaarde, DK
Fine impressionistic painting, oil on canvas, unclear signature, in original frame Measures: H. 21 W. 26 cm. H. 8.2 W. 10.2 in.
Antique 19th Century Scandinavian Paintings
Oil on Canvas, Orientalist Scene, Signed Louis Saphier, circa 1920
Located in Houston, TX
Louis Saphier was active and lived in both New York and Holland. He is known for landscapes, garden scenes, portraits and rural genre paintings. New York artist Louis Saphier (1875-1...
Vintage 1920s Grand Tour Paintings