- Want more images or videos?Request additional images or videos from the seller
Walnut Milo Baughman for Thayer Coggin Sofa
- CreatorThayer Coggin (Manufacturer)
- DimensionsHeight: 71.76 cm (28.25 in)Width: 205.74 cm (81 in)Depth: 76.2 cm (30 in)Seat Height: 46.36 cm (18.25 in)
- StyleMid-Century Modern (In the Style Of)
- Materials and Techniques
- Date of Manufacture2020
- Production TypeNew & Custom(Current Production)
- Estimated Production Time23-24 weeks
- Seller LocationOakland, CA
- Reference NumberSeller: CH_000009731stDibs: LU950230522542
Shipping & Returns
- ShippingRetrieving quote...Ships From: oakland, CA
- Return Policy
A return for this item may be initiated within 1 day of delivery.
About the Manufacturer
Few friendships last a lifetime, but Milo Baughman (1923–2003) and Thayer Coggin (1922–2003) were united by their desire to craft American furniture with timeless heirloom appeal. Today vintage Thayer Coggin sofas, coffee tables, alluring chrome-framed chairs and other furnishings are recognized as masterpieces of good design and remain highly sought after by collectors near and far.
Having both served in the military during World War II and coming from humble backgrounds — Coggin from Denton, North Carolina, and Baughman from Goodland, Kansas (but raised in California) — they shared a passion for simple, modern design in home furnishings. In 1953, after showing his prescient designs to a number of companies (who turned him down) in the furniture center of High Point, North Carolina, Baughman decided to pay a last-minute visit to Coggin, who had just founded his eponymous brand. After a nearly hour-long meeting in which Coggin shot out of his seat exclaiming he had never seen anything like Baughman's work, the two men shook hands. They would be friends and collaborators for the next 50 years.
Coggin let Baughman pursue his singular vision, while the Thayer Coggin company benefited from its close relationship with the ever more prominent Baughman, the manufacturer’s lead designer and an architect of California modernism who also collaborated with Drexel Furniture, Glenn of California and others during his career.
In 1968, New York Times critic Rita Reif hailed Baughman’s work for its elegance and sophistication. “With this furniture,” she wrote of his new collection, Environment 70 produced by Thayer Coggin, “who needs a decorator?” Baughman’s name became synonymous with sleekly modern, comfortable furniture the whole family could enjoy — stylish seating upholstered with impossibly cozy bouclé fabric and dashing case pieces that reflected the venturesome sensibility associated with mid-century modernism as well as the functionality of the Bauhaus.
Although its founder died in 2003, Thayer Coggin remains an esteemed family-run brand in High Point. Each item of furniture is bench-made by a single craftsperson to ensure “continuity among related pieces,” the company says, and comes in a vast array of upholstery fabrics, wood and metal finishes. Like the friendship that defined it, Thayer Coggin furniture is built to last.
Find a unique collection of new and vintage Thayer Coggin furniture today on 1stDibs.
- Milo Baughman for Thayer Coggin T-Back Chrome Lounge ChairBy Thayer Coggin, Milo BaughmanLocated in Oakland, CALounge chair designed by Milo Baughman for Thayer Coggin. Stainless steel frame upholstered in black/white print textile.Category
21st Century and Contemporary American Mid-Century Modern Lounge ChairsMaterials
- Milo Baughman for Thayer Coggin Swivel Tub Chair Available in COMBy Thayer Coggin, Milo BaughmanLocated in Oakland, CASwivel Tub lounge chair and ottoman designed by Milo Baughman for Thayer Coggin in 1965 available in COM. Includes one, 24" and one 18" pillow. Ottoman measures: W 36, D 24, H 14 i...Category
21st Century and Contemporary American Mid-Century Modern Swivel ChairsMaterials
- Hans Wegner 1949 Armless Sofa Bench Settee Johaness Hansen JH555By Johannes Hansen, Hans J. WegnerLocated in Oakland, CADanish armless bench designed by Hans Wegner. Model JH555, crafted of a solid teak frame with angled cross stretcher. Newly upholstered in classic Scandinavian striped wool textile b...Category
Mid-20th Century Danish Scandinavian Modern LoveseatsMaterials
- Milo Baughman for Thayer Coggin Swiveling Tilt Lounge Chairs in Chrome BacksBy Milo BaughmanLocated in Oakland, CAPair of Swivel & Tilt lounge chairs designed by Milo Baughman for Thayer Coggin. Features a 360 degree swiveling mechanism with tilt. The chairs are very comfortable and flex as ones...Category
21st Century and Contemporary American Modern Lounge ChairsMaterials
- Thayer Coggin Round Sectional Sofa in off WhiteBy Thayer Coggin, Ransom CullerLocated in Oakland, CASectional sofa designed by Ransom Culler for Thayer Coggin. Crafted of a solid wood frame and Upholstered in an off-white boucle over fiber-down back cushions. Defined by deep, gener...Category
21st Century and Contemporary American Modern Sectional SofasMaterials
FabricUS$36,450 / set
- Late 1940s Danish Settee in Manner of Finn Juhl Settee by Carl BrorupBy Finn JuhlLocated in Oakland, CADanish loveseat sofa in manner Finn Juhl BO-55 by Carl Brorup. Original wool fabric in good condition.Category
Mid-20th Century Danish Scandinavian Modern SofasMaterials
- Milo Baughman for Thayer Coggin Signed Chrome and Linen Loveseat SofaBy Thayer Coggin, Milo BaughmanLocated in Norwalk, CTBeautiful off-white linen loveseat sofa with chrome legs and frame design by Milo Baughman for Thayer Coggin with original label. Incredible lines and simple form. Very comfortable p...Category
Vintage 1960s American Mid-Century Modern SofasMaterials
- Milo Baughman Sofa for Thayer CogginBy Milo Baughman, Thayer CogginLocated in Brooklyn, NYThis exquisite vintage sofa features a stunning four seat design with six legs for added support. Wood trim, tapered post legs and classic Milo Baughman style add to the Mid-Century ...Category
Vintage 1960s American Mid-Century Modern SofasMaterials
- Milo Baughman for Thayer Coggin Sofa, 1970By Thayer Coggin, Milo BaughmanLocated in Chicago, ILMilo Baughman for Thayer Coggin sofa, 1970.Category
Vintage 1970s American Post-Modern SofasMaterials
UpholsteryUS$5,440 Sale Price20% Off
- "Case" Sofa by Milo Baughman for Thayer CogginBy Thayer Coggin, Milo BaughmanLocated in Denton, TX"Case" sofa by Milo Baughman for Thayer Coggin. The case is wrapped in olive green leather. With new upholstery.Category
20th Century American Mid-Century Modern SofasMaterials
ChromeUS$6,000 Sale Price20% Off
- Milo Baughman For Thayer Coggin Black Naugahyde SofaBy Thayer Coggin, Milo BaughmanLocated in Brooklyn, NYThe quintessential, sleek profile, mid century modern, four seat sofa designed by Milo Baughman for Thayer Coggin features black naugahyde, vinyl upholstery with zippered cushions.Category
Mid-20th Century American Mid-Century Modern SofasMaterials
- Milo Baughman Serpintine Sectional Sofa for Thayer CogginBy Milo Baughman, Thayer CogginLocated in Philadelphia, PAMilo Baughman Serpintine sectional sofa for Thayer Coggin. Upholstery sits up on a Chrome Curving Base. Three sections which allows you to move this beast! Very Dramatic Comfy Sofa! ...Category
Vintage 1970s American Mid-Century Modern Sectional SofasMaterials
ChromeUS$18,500 / set