EMILIO PUCCI c.1960s Multicolor Signature Op Art Structured Silk Metal Box Purse
About the Item
By the mid-1960s, the international fashion press, enamored of his dazzling scarves and slithery dresses in sensuous psychedelic silk jersey, had dubbed Florentine designer Emilio Pucci the Prince of Prints. Less well known is that, starting in the early 1950s, Pucci applied his colorful, abstract patterns to static angular mediums such as ceramics, floors and furniture, imbuing them with movement, not to mention glamour. He was the first fashion designer to enter the lifestyle market, founding the successful brand that exists today.
Born in 1914 to one of Italy’s oldest noble families, Emilio Pucci, Marchese Pucci di Barsento, was a member of the postwar international jet set, hopping from beach to mountain to city. His fashion career began unexpectedly in 1947, when he created a revolutionary stretch ski outfit that was photographed on the Swiss slopes for Harper’s Bazaar.
Eschewing a life of aristocratic glamour, the self-taught Pucci opened a boutique on Capri dedicated to simple resort clothing (think capri pants) that evoked the Mediterranean’s undulating waves and refreshingly bright colors. At the time, luxury fashion was as constricted as a Dior cocktail dress, but the Swinging Sixties were on the horizon. Signed with what Vogue International editor Suzy Menkes calls a “handwritten ‘Emilio’ flourish” — a concept, she points out, as novel as that of designer ready-to-wear — his designs were soon seen on celebrities like Jackie Kennedy and Marilyn Monroe.
From the airline uniforms he created for Braniff in the 1960s to the emblem he crafted for the Apollo XV space mission in 1971, Pucci’s designs were visionary. In spite of his traditional roots (or because of them), the Prince of Prints was forward thinking and outward looking. Pucci put his signature flourish on patterns that were flexible — first for fashion, then for furnishings and objects. Whether on fabric or foam, shelves or sails, as he first explained some 70 years ago, the ornamental designs work in “continuous motion.” Venturing into nontraditional design partnerships, he laid the groundwork for a future brand, a classic legacy that his daughter Laudomia Pucci continues today.
- ShippingRetrieving quote...Ships From: Thiensville, WI
- Return PolicyThis item cannot be returned.
- GIANNI VERSACE c.1990's Black Leather Gold Medusa Mini Buckle Handbag PurseBy Gianni VersaceLocated in Thiensville, WIGIANNI VERSACE c.1990's Black Leather Gold Medusa Mini Buckle Handbag Purse Brand / Manufacturer: GIANNI VERSACE Color(s): Black Unmarked Materials (f...Category
1990s Italian Top Handle Bags
- ALEXANDER McQUEEN c.2003 Brown Leather Crocodile Embossed Buckle Box HandbagBy Alexander McQueenLocated in Thiensville, WIALEXANDER McQUEEN c.2003 Brown Leather Crocodile Embossed Buckle Box Handbag Brand / Manufacturer: Alexander McQueen Circa: 2003 Designer: Ale...Category
Early 2000s Italian Top Handle Bags
- GUCCI c.2010 Limited Edition UNICEF Elephant Coated Canvas Joy Boston HandbagBy Frida Giannini, GucciLocated in Thiensville, WIGUCCI c.2010 Limited Edition UNICEF Elephant Coated Canvas Joy Boston Handbag Brand / Manufacturer: Gucci Collection: 2010 Unicef Designer: Frida Giannini Manufacturer Style Name: “...Category
2010s Italian Novelty Bags
- EMILIO PUCCI c.1960's Multicolor Velvet Abstract Print Top Handle Mini HandbagBy Emilio PucciLocated in Thiensville, WIEMILIO PUCCI c.1960's Multicolored Velvet Abstract Printed Top Handle Mini Hand Bag Brand / Manufacturer: Emilio Pucci Circa: 1960's Style: Structured t...Category
1960s Italian Top Handle Bags
- ALEXANDER McQUEEN Fuchsia Pink Python Crystal Knuckle-Duster Box ClutchBy Alexander McQueenLocated in Thiensville, WIDESCRIPTION: ALEXANDER McQUEEN Fuchsia Pink Python Knuckle-Duster Box Clutch Estimated Retail: $2,545 Brand / Manufacturer: Alexander McQueen Style: Clutch Color(s): Shades of pi...Category
Early 2000s Italian Clutches
- GIVENCHY 2003 Multi Floral Rose Violets Camouflage Shoulder Bag Crossbody StrapBy Givenchy, John GallianoLocated in Thiensville, WIGIVENCHY 2003 Multi Floral Rose & Violets Camouflage Structured Shoulder Bag + Crossbody Shoulder Strap Brand / Manufacturer: Givenchy Collection: 200...Category
Early 2000s Italian Structured Shoulder Bags
- CHRISTIAN DIOR Black Monogram Canvas & Calfskin Leather Top Handle Box BagBy Christian DiorLocated in Bishop's Stortford, HertfordshireCHRISTIAN DIOR Black Oblique Monogram Canvas & Calfskin Leather Vintage Top Handle Box Bag Serial Number: HE0082 Age (Circa): 2002 Authenticity Details: S...Category
Early 2000s Italian Top Handle Bags
- Louis Vuitton Suhali Le Fabuleaux Black Top Handle BagBy Louis VuittonLocated in Torre Del Greco, ITLouis Vuitton signed bag, Le Fabuleaux model size GM, made in suhali leather and gold hardware. Central closure with interlocking band. Equipped with a double rigid leather handle, a...Category
2010s Top Handle Bags
- French Sequin Black Linen BagLocated in New York, NYChic Sequin French Bag on black linen base. Elegant and timeless detailing with even seed bead borders on the interiors and edges of strap. Moire taffeta lining. 1950's France. Exce...Category
1950s French Top Handle Bags
- Needlepoint Artisan Griffin & Laurels Hand Stitched Handbag c 1970Located in University City, MOElegant needlepoint artisan griffin & laurels vintage handbag c 1970 The chic retro needlepoint artisan handbag is decorated with an endearing griffin figure; surrounded with a wreath of laurels that is replicated on both exterior sides Illuminated against a contiguous black needlepoint...Category
1970s Unknown Novelty Bags
- Louis Vuitton Black Leather Taiga Rainbow Steamer PM LimitedBy Louis VuittonLocated in Torre Del Greco, ITLouis Vuitton Limited Edition Taiga Rainbow x Virgil Abloh bag in black leather with black hardware.The bag is equipped with a front flap with interlo...Category
2010s French Top Handle Bags
- 2018 New Rare Hermes Birkin 35 Vert Cypress OfficeirBy HermèsLocated in West Hollywood, CAHermes collectible officier Birkin 35 cm in vert cypress togo leather with blue zellige swift stripes and interiors. Palladium hardware. Date stamp C for ...Category
21st Century and Contemporary French Top Handle Bags
Recently ViewedView All
How Fashion Icon Emilio Pucci Became the Prince of Psychedelic Prints
The Italian design icon set the course for creating a comprehensive lifestyle brand.
The Best Ways to Dress for Your Astrological Sign
Makeup and astrology expert Linda Mason dispenses fashion advice for every zodiac sign. Does your wardrobe match your horoscope?